Radar HMS continuously acquire targets without having to repeatedly press radar lock button

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Currently, in order to lock someone with radar HMS, you have to press the “lock radar” button after putting the HMS marker on him.

But as you know, this is not always very reliable and you sometimes have to repeatedly press the lock button in order to get a lock (and there will be some delay after each attempt while the FSM switches states …)

This is often problematic since you use HMS for radar locks when enemy is close by, and if you are merging with the enemy, you don’t have much time for making several HMS lock attempts and the delays that exist in between each attempt …

Plus, having to repeatedly press the “Lock radar” button takes your attention away from flying the aircraft or countering any potential incoming missile.

Wouldn’t it be a better behavior if pressing “Lock radar” button while in HMS mode, made it try to acquire targets continuously (similar to ACM mode), until it acquires a target, or the “Lock radar” button is pressed again or the player switches radar mode?

I.e:

You switch to HMS mode

It would show you the HMS marker

Now if you press the “Lock radar” button, it starts trying to acquire whatever is/comes in the HMS marker and will keep trying to do so until it acquires a target, without needing the user to constantly press the “Lock radar” button again (and suffer from the delays of the radar FSM switching between states)

If the user presses the “Lock radar” button again, it will stop acquiring targets if it hasn’t found one yet, and if it has found and locked a target already, it will unlock that target

If the user pressed the “Lock radar” button once more, it will again resume continuously trying to acquire targets, until pressed again …

Spoiler

3 Likes

@BasherBenDawg8 I think you misunderstood the suggestion.
You can still undo your vote ;)

I already deleted my comment and changed my vote, as yes I misunderstood it. I was under the impression it would always be active, similar to ACM. Not essentially flicked on and off when you press lock. I was worried about accidentally locking the wrong target in such a case, but it seems that’s not a problem with this method.
(If it still says the comment is there it may not have loaded, says I changed it for me)

1 Like