Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

This is all at 25 mvr wing, which is fully implemented in game

1 Like

Cool it might be closed as a duplicate as there is already a report for this for all Tornados. As they’re waiting for the slats fix before tuning them all.

This is technically a separate issue tho. The slats not deplying at 45 sweep shouldn’t effect performance at 25.

1 Like

Doesnt the Pantsir have a range of something like 21km?

@Gunjob Have you had any response about CM count buffs on the Gr1 yet?

Just gave PGMs another go in a SB match. Tried firing them at an AF, but it wouldnt let me fire, nothing I did would actually let me fire the weapon, swapped to a nearby base, dropped from 15k ft, target was reading approx 10km, eventually let me fire all 3. But all 3 missed. Not sure why they missed, but for the time being, they are going to sit on the shelf and not be touched for a while. Massive Deja Vu to what the precision weapons on the Harrier Gr7 were like when it was added. Didnt touch those for months in SB either.

1 Like

@Fireball_2020 on the old forum I remember there being a lot of discussion about how much AOA the Tornado could pull, with it being hampered by us not knowing the conversion between AOA degrees and AOA units. This is a piece of Tornado servicing equipment called “Protractor ADD Probe”. The ADD probe is what tells you the AOA.

Do you think this image is any use for converting AOA degrees to units?

4 Likes

I don’t know what your doing wrong with them, I’ve been able to use them from 20km out from altitudes above 8000m.

1 Like

Just from a quick look(will take a deeper look later), the conversion is 10x = 19y
Presumably this means 10 Units = 19 Degrees.

Is that accounting for parallax though?

1 Like

Was a Topic about the old topic about what left on tornado ADV, one theses things is the radar scale of stage 2g radar and skyflash performances that are trash, would be good bring back these list

Not much we can do about that unfortunately.

So the important bit about this, given Tornado F.3’s 21 unit AOA limit, that gives it a 40 degree AOA limit.

1 Like

I don’t think that translation can be correct. A Tornado test pilot mentioned flying at 40 units AoA during one test flight. That would be the best part of 80° AoA, which seems completely unrealistic.

Very likely he miss remembers and meant 40 degrees, which would line up perfectly with this showing a 40° AOA limit.

1 Like

That’s also very unlikely to be possible given the AOa limits were 21 Units. There is breaking the limits and then there is doubling…

It was in an official Panavia publication: Tornado Report No.4 - January 1990

Check out the SPILS! article (page 2-6). For some reason the Author refers to AoA as ADD (Airstream Direction Detector).

I think its SB + TIALD/TV causing issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, and there doesnt seem to be any logical reason for it. But this was the same for the AGM-65Ds on the Harrier Gr7 when it was first added. Took a while before they were more usable/reliable. I reckon its the same.

The inner scale is a vernier scale used to indicate measurements 1/10th of the angle measured on the outer scale
It’s not converting between two scales

1 Like