Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Having returned occasionally to play a few games in the Tornado (Air-RB and Sim), the below are the current blockers to the aircraft being remotely competitive:

1. HUD symbology still does not display the locked target, or current TWS target, unless a missile is spooling. This is incorrect, and has been commented on about a million times.

2. The radar/skyflash combination is not capable of hitting a (non-notching or terrain-masking) target flying at low altitude, this is incredibly frustrating, and again… been commented on about a million times previously.

3. Although lacking a helmet mounted target cueing system, the Tornado did have a thumbstick with which to slew the radar target point beam around with, in both horizontal and vertical directions. Of course, this was a fairly standard feature, but importantly in the Tornado, you had a Navigator to handle all that while the pilot got on with flying. Hence the fancy off-bore-sight locking did not require a helmet. We do not have adequate controls in WT to do this with at the moment, but I don’t see why a 2-seater with such a capability couldn’t just have the same mechanics as the helmet mounted radar control system currently on the F4-S for example.

At this point, I want to staple a copy of “Tornado F3: A Navigator’s Eye on Britain’s Last Interceptor” to the devs monitors until something is done for this aircraft to be at least usable without wanting to pull my teeth out.

As usual, we brits do well in the game despite our equipment, rather than because of it.

5 Likes

I do keep asking about this one being fixed, we have a report for it.

The current implementation of multipathing is intended, even though certain missiles such as Skyflash were not limited by it. The report for this is still open.

I’ve asked about this a few times, but haven’t gotten anywhere with it. Doesn’t just impact Tornado there are a few aircraft missing this feature. The report for this is still open.

6 Likes

Thank you Gunjob for the updates on these issues. Please know my frustration is not with you (or Flame and the many others) as you’ve done some sterling work already <3

4 Likes

Especially the Dual Mode variants, as they can be laser guided

Pls someone could pass to me the datamines with all missile drag coeficient numbers? I want to know the coeficient drag of skyflash super temp and aim7F and others ones.
And i have a question? What mean wing area multipllier? What it do in missile performance?

Is there any update on when the slats and general wing will be fixed? Don’t think there have been any updates on it for a while after the devs said they were looking at it and it’s getting rather tiring flying such a bus.
Also looking at the preview for the DCS F-15E has got me thinking as to whether or not the Tornado ever got a synthetic aperture radar mode or other high resolution ground mapping mode? Seems like it would be quite essential for the all weather operation of a strike aircraft which supposedly couldn’t lock on to individual vehicles with its ground mapping radar.

The current FM has the same lift in both 45 & 25 degree sweeps as if the slats were deployed. So presently it is about as good as its going to get.

The slats fix is still to come but the FM won’t improve past what it is now for the most part.

The FM is wrong then, I updated my report, it’s still seriously underperforming at lower speeds.

3 Likes

I mean the FM isnt a complete joke now, you do actually stand a chance against Phantoms.

I’d like to see that happen tbh

anyway a fourth gen should be able to easily beat a third gen

I mean you can very easily

Just pay about 2k GE or 140,000RP and you’re sorted.

It’s called Skyflash SuperTEMP in case you’re interested 😂

The FM isn’t final, the current version is a temporary one until the new code for the slats is done. It was boosted to make it more flyable in the meantime, and has been that way for awhile now. Reporting it in its current state isn’t worth doing because the original FM report is still open with all the required data in it.

4 Likes

In the absence of Britain of I assume Britain getting absolutely nothing this update. I hope Tornado and Harrier work is done instead.

I love that name endlessly. a more friendly version would be Sky Slug. You’ve got Paul Tremelling to thank for that

I mean we got a sea harrier thats a copy paste so you know each to their own.

With it being finished now, gunna be fun in SB

Has anybody got the F-14 for some rwr testing?

@Gunjob It’s been too long without a Tornado bug report: Community Bug Reporting System

2 Likes

I take it no RWR warning panel when in cockpit with the Tornados either. So that might be another bug report

I love how we’re at the point where we’re putting pre-emptive bug reports in