Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Is there an update for locked radar targets on the HUD in cockpit view?

Is there anything in the manuals for supersonic acceleration? The thing hits a brick wall at M1.1 and it’s practically impossible to push the thing past 1400km/h on the deck. Not exactly a low altitude speed demon.

1 Like

Unfortunately not much to go off really there.

I have the F.2 ODM but she had weaker engines.

Are there any 5000ft charts?

Only for subsonic acceleration IIRC

And IIRC the Mk104s made the biggest difference at high speed, so the graphs are really hard to compare.

Rather frustrating because It takes the Tornado an absurd amount of time to go from 1.1M to 1.2 at SL (talking minutes). Its probably the slowest accelerating jet to reach its low altitude top speed thanks to the 1.1M brick wall which makes no sense since drag would be coming down as it escapes the wave drag zone around 1M.

I’m gald its not just me becuase I’ve been calling it a skill issue on my end, where the skyflash just goes off on an adventure to mordor instead of hiting an easy shot.

Yep, it ripps at 1555Kph but will just stop accellerating at 1300. in a straight line I’ve never reached anything over 1480 outside test drives, I’ts like the jet has asthma.

The F104 just got increased supersonic accelleration and top speed so add that to the long list of jets you cant run away from.

This flight model is hella gimped

1 Like

Did the Tornado Gr1 ever recieve Aim-9L/i?

Unlikely since our own 9L mods were noted as being similar in capability.

Rumours that a Saudi Arabian Tornado is coming to Britain as a premium. Anyone got any ideas what loadouts it would have?

1 Like

Assuming it’s TSP1 it would have the same kind of weapons as the GR.1 - Saudis even use MACE lugs like the RAF’s Tornados. But likely without PGM since that was a pitch for the UAE. And they have Damocles instead of TIALD.
They tend to use US Mk.80 series bombs instead of UK bombs nowadays. Though they have UK 1000lbers they don’t have Paveway kits for them, so their PWs are all Mk.80-based
1448122891_b152e3036c_o
1448977086_8a77019a44_o
1448978084_835a3151ee_o
rsaf

Pre-TSP would mean no designator pod IIRC. So no Paveways. Just UK 1000lbers and Mk.80s etc.
rsaf

Later TSP 2 & 3 upgrades were fully equivalent to GR.4, just without NAVFLIR. Including Brimstone, Storm Shadow etc. capability. No NAVFLIR means they have retained both 27mm Mausers on all versions.

Ed:- added extra images and cleared up a bit about Saudi Paveways.
Ed2:- added pre-TSP image with UK 1000lb on twin stores carrier

8 Likes

honestly doesnt make sense to me, from what i know they have an adv variant and a bomber one, but the german wiki only says the bomber carried ALARM, SEA EAGLE and GBU 24, honestly would mostly be a normal tornado for most purposes

Im assuming 11-11.3 Gr1 equivalent, so doesnt sound too bad

I’d have no issues with essentially a premium MFG. No guided weapons would mean 11.0 BR, so it would be a powerhouse farmer in SB. Im already considering the MFG just to have a tornado to play on the rotations in which the Tornado Gr1 is EC9 but the MFG is EC8

Man Darth, where do I sign up for your news letter, always a treat when you post.

6 Likes