P-47D near km sniping and one hit total destruction?

That was new thing for me: i was zooming with Bf-109F and going away, distance 900+ meters and higher altitude, he shot madly and one his machine gun projectile hit me - resulting instant death of the pilot and total destruction of the tail section. Is there been any change of destruction model? It is unusual, never happened before (last time it happened it was 500 meters and projectile was heavy shell shot from lucky P-39) . I considered this kind of distance relatively safe from MG’s.

1 Like

Well, WT damage model never made much sense.

Neither would the .50cals be able to penetrate the pilots armor, nor would they be able to damage the tail controls to this extent.

Since a few months, tail control surfaces are just the most fragile component of any aircraft.
That get destroyed easily even by LMGs with AP rounds.

Spoiler

Like how does that make any sense:

Spoiler

3 Likes

I have noticed that a fair bit actually come to think of it, tails just really get hit bad, and then they really affect you.

1 Like

Perhaps i should report this event as glitch. it certainly seems to be one. AA missile can do it - yes, shell can do it - yes, MG - no. Especially from this distance! Possibly some update - that i was not aware of - messed up the physics.

Imho there is nothing “new” with US AN/M2 0.50 cals. I use them with the IT P-47 D-30 and score reliably kills at ~ 1.4 km - just at very high speed the AP rounds lose the penetration power at around 1.8 km. But at this rather slow speed with this small distance a pilot snipe is the consequence of the high pen values.

Even the JP 13mm kill you up to 1.4 km - especially if you fly straight in a line - there is no option for a zoom at these ranges without dodging incoming enemy rounds.

We are really talking about how his tail controls got instantly evaporated, rather than the fact that .50cals shouldn’t even be able to penetrate armor from that range, but that’s not really relevant.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you expect. Under 1km from underneath the .50 cal is unlikely to be stopped by any bf109 protection.

3 Likes

But .50 caliber wont pack punch it had from this distance and angle (upward), and it clearly wont have enough energy left to cause damage equivalent of HE shell: it is extremely unlikely, and surely grossly unhistorical as well.

It definitely will against anything the 109 has at that short a range.

900 meters is not considered short range

1 Like

It is definitely within the capabilities of a 50 cal.

2 Likes

Do you refer historical sources or WT physics?

1 Like

Being it’s a game you have the in game stat’s readily accessible. Your also acting like it is always just 1 round that does it. If your getting hit by 1 round of a fast firing mg like this one then your likely being hit by 10 or more. You also never consider secondary damage and shrapnel.

3 Likes

Really?

1. The pilot’s back armour plate(s) never covers 100% (see -K4 f.e.)

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 12-58-40 Bf 109 K-4 - DCS-Bf_109_K-4_Flight_Manual_DE.pdf

1. The F had an amour plate of 6mm and the different AP bullets of the .50 BMG used as plane armament had a penetration of 11mm as a minimum at 1.000m.
4 Likes

Look at all that armour mate. It’s practically a tiger tank lol

To be fair with you:
.50cals are calculated up to 1.2km range
20mm up to 1.6km (up to 2.2km in Jet Era)
30mm+ up to 1.8-2km (up to 2.2km in jet Era)

Therefore a good pilot used to fire from 1.2-1.4km in Jets, would easily take a shot at 1km with MG’s in P-47D when the coaxial Range is set to 800m ^^"

You just happenned to jumped on a guy that knows how to aim long range shot ^^"

3 Likes

Looks rather more like a unlucky hit from AA. I never saw such a damage by .50cal from behind at this range.
But never say no while playing WT. lol

2 Likes

I am not sure you meant this seriously, that’s why i wrote that it is no problem to get a pilot snipe from this range; so the damage to your tail is technically seen irrelevant as flying in a straight line with a P-47 that close in front of a P-47 is a death sentence anyway…

I got your point, but as written later there is no reason to assume that an AP-bullet is unable to kill the pilot from 0.9 km.

I would like to hear your professional feedback to nonsense claim like this:

To be fair with you:
.50cals are calculated up to 1.2km range
20mm up to 1.6km (up to 2.2km in Jet Era)
30mm+ up to 1.8-2km (up to 2.2km in jet Era)

I am not a “ballistic expert” - but every experienced pilot is aware that these claims are nonsense. With a 800 m convercenge setting in a P-47 it is no problem to hit and crit a target 1.8 km in front of you - and if you are using a turret shouting on guys behind you it is no problem to do the same at 2.5 km.

Could you post the average “de-rendering” distances for those calibers? My last data for US 0.50 cals and the Swedish 13.2 was 3.000 - 3.500 meters.

I have no access to them via xbox. Thanks in advance!

Firstly, 900m is perfectly doable for a .50 cal. its doable for basically any aircraft weapon in the game honestly, I’ve gotten plenty of kills well out to 1.2km+ in my time.

Secondly, protection analysis is saying that a single AP-I round from an M2 browing will delete a tail fin off a BF109 F, and it continues on through the rest of the plane until it hits something solid.

seeing as he has 8 .50 cals there at a rate of fire of 750 rounds each (total 6000rpm, or 100 rounds a second) he probably hit you with a spread of them and not just one single round. I don’t see anything weird about that kill honestly

2 Likes

I was thinking you discredit those numbers because they are way too high :D

Even at 1.2km range the dispersion is so huge that only a fraction of rounds are actually going to hit the target, and then they’ll have very little chance to cause serious damage.

The “effective” range for .50cal gunners was 500m, 800m for the B-29 when the gun sight is hooked up to a ballistic computer.

I guess the same is true when we consider fighter with gyro gun sight. Then 1.2km is probably what can be expected. But then you’re probably aiming at a bomber not a small fighter with like a third of the wing span.

In real life a P-47 guns were set to converge at different distances and with different vertical targeting.
Since the philosophy of machine guns is more to make hits rather than to have a serious affect.
Many inexperienced pilots hitting the enemy is much better than many inexperienced pilots not hitting the enemy at all.

A strategy that works out well, especially when you have the superior numbers.

However, again, it’s not really about whether a .50cal can hit a pilot from 0.9km but that they inflicted so much structural damage to the tail controls to completely destroy them in few hits.

The damage mechanics of WT are just completely out of this world and simply make no sense.

So? We obviously know that the guns can deal that kind of damage in the game. The question is whether the should and the answer is clearly no.

How does it make sense that tail control surfaces receive more damaged from all types of shells than wings of the same or smaller size?
How does it make sense that a pilot can survive 20mm or multiple .50cal hits but then the tail controls get instantly destroyed?

One issue is how the game damages components:
The more penetrationt the higher the damage, which doesn’t make sense when it comes to damaging aircraft structure with kinetic rounds.

Spoiler

It’s the same deal with explosive HMG rounds hitting pilots in the face without killing them out right.

2 Likes