Object 477 - Bringing the Hammer Down

[Would you like to see the Object 477 in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

this post is still under construction
This vehicle has very little information on it and it’s difficult to differentiate some variants, I will continue to update it as i come across information.
Introduction
Object 477 known as Molot [“Hammer”], Buntar [“Rebel”] , Bokser [“Boxer”], and Nota [“Note”] or FST-2, initiated its development as a next-generation MBT (Main Battle Tank) with an unmanned turret in 1981. The draft design was concluded in 1984, followed by the technical design in 1985, and the first prototype (mock-up) was constructed in 1987. Subsequently, some vehicles were handed over to Russia.
The tank features the Argus sight, which integrates LLTV (Low-Light Television) and infrared imaging channels, while a radar system is positioned atop the turret. The tank’s crew is seated in the hull. Its primary armament consists of a 152mm gun with an autoloader, boasting an impressive rate of fire of 14 shots per minute (4.3 second reload). The basic loading module can accommodate 10 rounds, which can be supplemented by two additional 12-round modules.

Design and History
The inception of the project dates back to the early 1980s when the Kharkiv Design Bureau took the initiative to develop a promising tank equipped with the contemporary 152mm 2A73 gun. Subsequently, state funding was secured for the program. However, the initial endeavor faced challenges as the tank was envisioned to incorporate a significant amount of electronics and feature a thermal imager, elements that the Soviet industry, grappling with chronic delays, couldn’t provide at the time. Consequently, in 1987, the first prototype was unveiled, lacking a sighting complex and a functional machine gun, which proved challenging to perfect. Work continued through 1989-1990, with state tests of the experimental batch of vehicles slated for 1992.
146741240056371485.gif
In 1990, the GBTU (Main Armored Directorate) of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR evaluated technical proposals from three Soviet design bureaus for the realization of a program aimed at developing a futuristic tank. The participating projects were presented by HKBM (facility 477), KB LKZ (facility 299), and UKBTM (facility 187). Object 477 Molot was ultimately selected as the most promising among them. Subsequently, in 1992-1993, the initial prototype of Object 477 was completed, but it did not proceed to mass production. The dissolution of the Soviet Union marked the abrupt end of this program, halting all further developments.

A veil of special secrecy shrouded the efforts of Soviet tank builders, given the fundamentally innovative nature of the tank. The inaugural prototype of this vehicle took shape over a quarter of a century ago and, throughout its existence, maintained its status as the most closely guarded military secret, initially under Soviet jurisdiction and later within Ukraine. It is noteworthy that, throughout the entire lifespan of this machine, no glimpses or images, even of lesser detail, have ever been disclosed to the public.

Design Images

Union and internationally, there were developments in tanks across various weight categories featuring unmanned turrets. However, the distinctive ambition in Kharkiv was to craft a machine that could establish a qualitative edge over Western counterparts. What set this tank apart was its formidable armament—a potent 152mm cannon. The projectiles discharged from this cannon left no room for survival, not only for contemporary Western vehicles like the Leopard 2 and M1 Abrams but also for prospective tanks. Adding to its uniqueness was the original automatic loading system, enabling an extraordinary firing rate of up to 14 rounds per minute. The “Molot” was poised to integrate, for the first time in domestic vehicles, a tank information control system and an on-board computer. Theoretically, in terms of command control, this tank was expected to align with the highest global standards.

Efforts on the Object 477A1 tank persisted until the early 2000s. Subsequently, Russia opted to discontinue this project, likely motivated by the intention to channel all resources into the advancement of domestic enterprises like “Object 195” or “Object 640.” The decision by the Russian authorities effectively marked the conclusion of the promising project’s history. With Ukraine unable to independently pursue further developments, the project had no choice but to be put on hold.

IMG_2330

Xj0Ps3D.jpg.58b1483367d047829640e42968d26da7-removebg-preview
857061383_477_-2-2.jpg.096b150cb9e3b2fb656f0b1d2a6d7c24-removebg-preview

General

• Place of Origin: USSR
  • Designer Company: Kharkiv Design Bureau
  • Crew: 3
Ammunition

Limited information on this vehicles ammunition assortment, this would be my guess

• APFSDS: Grifel-1(Tungsten core), Grifel-2 (Depleted Uranium core)
  • High-explosive: Grifel-3 (HE-FRAG)
Specifications

Object 477 ‘Boxer’

• Weight: 50 tons~
  • Main Armament: LP-81 (42 rounds)
  • Secondary Armaments:
    • 2A42 30mm?
    • 12.7mm Machine gun
    • 7.62mm Machine gun
  • Equipment: TO1-PO2T Thermal Imager?
  • Engine: 6TD-2 1200hp
  • Speed: 62km/h

Object 477A ‘Molot’

• Weight: 57 tons
  • Main Armament: LP-81 (42 rounds)
  • Secondary Armament:
    • 2A42 30mm
    • 12.7mm Machine gun?
    • 7.62mm Machine gun
  • Equipment: Agave-2 Thermal Imager
  • Engine: 6TD-2 1200hp

Object 477A1 ‘Nota’
little information on this variant, information to be updated.

• Weight: 50 tons~
  • Main Armament: 2A73 (32 rounds)
  • Secondary Armament:
    • 2A42 30mm
  • Equipment: Agave-2 Thermal Imager
  • Engine: 6TD-3 1500hp

Other Images

sources

Ukrainian NOTA battle tank - 1500 horsepower 6TD-3 engine
https://defence-blog.com/unknown-photo-of-ukrainian-secret-tank-is-published/
Models and pictures of Soviet MBT designs from 80s. Object 477A, Object 490 Buntar and Object 299. - Page 9 - Mechanized Warfare - Sturgeon's House
Танки 490 «Бунтарь», 477 «Боксер», «Молот»
О возвышенном, Молот, Т-95, Армата - Andrei-bt — LiveJournal
Gur Khan attacks!: Харьковский "молоток" на шасси питерской "восьмидесятки"

Check out my post about similar vehicles

17 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing this as it isn’t much different from American tanks with autoloaders. That has to be the weirdest loading system I have ever seen.

9 Likes

So its secondary weapon is a BMP-2’s 30mm? That’s rad! +1

8 Likes

Very reminiscent of the Striker MGS. Would be cool, probably easier to deal with than the other Russian top tiers.

2 Likes

The post does a good job at providing a general overview of the project and its evolution.

But does a very poor job of explaining the different prototypes, it’s impossible to identify which prototypes are even pictured. And with extremely limited data on their specifications.

And according to the sources listed, the 477A weighed 57 tonnes. I can’t find listed weight for the 477 and 477A1.

2 Likes

I apologize, I’m still working on the specifications, images and the overall layout of the post, I understand it’s a bit rough right now.

Where did such a seven-wheeled T-80 with GTD-1250 come from?

1 Like

I believe this was an initial prototype but I could be wrong. Still gathering information.
IMG_2362

+1 Looking forward to some kind of “upgunned” update where each nation gets their big calibre MBT projects.

3 Likes

Its maybe not very important, but still…
Buntar - rather translate as Rioter, when Rebel is more like Povstanets.

Difference is:
Buntar (Rioter) - its more like civilian/citizen, who start the riot (“bunt”), but at most times aint use firearms, preferring more… proletarian types of weaponry, like sticks and bricks. Or weaponless at all.

Rebel (Povstanets) - is more like a civilian (former, or not at all), who is a part of unconventional/outlaw armed group/militia, doing some outlaw, anti-government stuff.

Oof… Why that looks like some mind-breaking, vision trick?

3 Likes

You definitely seem to be right, coming from a person who knows no russian.

Since its actual name is Объект 477 бунтарь

бунтарь - Rioter

бунт - Riot

мятежник - Rebel

мятеж - Rebellion

But “Rebel” is the common (and only) translation used in english. Even Andrei Tarasenko who runs Btvt.info has translated the name to “Rebel” and not Rioter. Though I’m not aware of much western literature on the vehicle.

1 Like

In this context, in relation to the tank, the translation in a figurative sense would be more accurate…
“A restless, always protesting person calling for decisive action, for breaking the old.”

The most authoritative dictionary in Russia/USSR/RF is S.I.Ozhegov’s explanatory dictionary… БУНТАРЬ | это… Что такое БУНТАРЬ? (academic.ru)

2 Likes

I see that this hasn’t been passed for consideration, probably because we basically have this now with the Object 292, correct?

The 292 and 477 are separate vehicles

4 Likes

This thing isnt, but its brother was passed for consideration.

No we dont, the 477 and 195 are MUCH better and more sophisticated tanks.

1 Like

Ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I support the suggestion. Nevertheless, the proposed APFSDS (Grifel) is wrong. The latter is exclusive for the moment to Object 195´s main gun (2A83). Object 477 gun was likely compatible with the APFSDS currently modeled ingame for Object 292 (although the cited muzzle velocity is highly likely wrong as well).

2 Likes

I was actually meaning to get around to changing that, thank you.

Pls bro I’ll pay anybody like 500$ for it