Now is the perfect time to add the AIM-9L-(I) to Italy, UK, and Sweden!

Would assume that Typhoon replaced them for the most part. If not already replaced them. Everything I can find sugests F-16s were retired in 2012 and replaced by Typhoon (though that is only from a quick googling session)

instead opted to lease 34 F-16 Fighting Falcon multi-role fighter planes on multi-year leases from the US. The last of these fighters was returned to the United States in May 2012, following the Italian Air Force’s acquisition of a sufficient number of Typhoons over a period of several years. The Typhoons are intended to replace all of the F-104, Tornado ADV and F-16 aircraft.

Wiki. but sums it up quite well

1 Like

Ah… that makes sense. The UK does get offered a lot of stuff that “they dont export”. Wasnt Britain offered F-22?

would be nice for Italy +1

1 Like

It would be such an easy add too. I don’t even think the AIM-9L-(I) would require a new skin…

2 Likes

Wheey that’s the first reference I’ve seen for the Italians operating the SuperTEMP. It wasn’t something I thought impossible as you just leased our aircraft. But good to know.

3 Likes

oh dip, that could be a game changer for the F-104.

1 Like

The AIM-9L/i and AIM-9L/i-1 are German missiles. Developed and built by Diehl Defense. Why should foreign countries get it, but not Ger?

1 Like

so you want the F4F and Tornado fighting in 12.0 or 12.3? because that is what would happen, the more advanced the weaponry the higher the BR, so unless you want that stop being a salty gate keeper.

First they used them and secondly do you want the F4F and Tornado fighting in 12.0 or 12.3? because that is what would happen, the more advanced the weaponry the higher the BR, so unless you want that stop being a salty gate keeper.

1 Like

I’m not sure the ASA used it; only the ASA-M I believe. It should be added to the Italian F-16 and AV-8B though…

it was used by ASA too

1 Like

Ah ok

Great post, i fully support. A lot of Italian aircraft used this missile historically, the ones in game can benefit from this needed addition.

8 Likes

Just for the sake of clarity, it says that the “Tornado F3 would use the AIM-120 AMRAAM instead of the more “limited” Skyflash SuperTEMP and TEMP (the latter in use with the italian aviation) and the IR AIM-132 ASRAAM instead of the AIM9LI-1.”

1 Like

9Ms/L-Is on Tornadoes would probably necessitate a BR increase of at least 11.7, probably 12.0. So while it’d be a great addition, especially for the IDS models (to compete with the F-111F, F-111C AUP, and Su-24M2 which would definitely be 12.0) I think we can both agree that they should be new aircraft instead of replacing the current models.
Similar story with the F-4F ICE LA, which would also be quite nice to see in the near future.
Maybe, though, these aircraft could be used to introduce ECCM pods to give them a bit more capability.

No not realy, they can only carry 2. Hell the SU 39 gets R73s and 2 R60Ms, total 3 missles

1 Like

Well. With their missing defensive capabilities and missing A2G weapons among other issues, they could end up at 11.7 already. Improved A2A weapons would then become absolutely necessary. but without that, 2x Aim-9L/i or Dechirped Aim-9Ls would not require a BR increase alone I reckon.

But both Italy’s and Britains next Tornados though would probably be 12.7 ish just from their A2G loadouts alone, Britains 12-18 Brimstones for example. I’d guess ASRAAM and IRIS-T Respectively. So there isnt really an option for a seperate 12.0 except for Germany

The Su-39 is also subsonic.

and also has an IRCCM, vikhers, and A2G missles . Your point? The Tornado doesnt perform better then the SU 39 realy. Its only a target dummy as well

1 Like

And GRB isn’t the only mode. Su-39 is better for GRB with better precision weapons. But un ARB the Tornados are far more effective than the Su-39 or Tornadoes in GRB. 10.3s shouldn’t be fighting supersonics with IRCCM IMO, especially when there’s aircraft like the F-104J or Mirage that don’t even have countermeasures at all.