Norinco VN-1 (UW4B RWS) -- The Modern Battle Taxi of the Royal Thai Army

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Introduction: Howdy Yall! Today ill be talking about the VN-1 with a 30mm unmanned turret(UW4B) that’s currently in service with the Royal Thai army, as its one of the few operational variants of the VN-1 that has a decent amount of publicly available material to look at. I want to be clear that i am not against China or other Nations getting variants of the VN-1, but this post is specifically talking about the VN-1 in service with the Thai Army.

History:
Type 08: in the late 90’s China had realized it had a lack of modern wheeled platforms, and a desirer to keep its mechanized forces on the cutting edge of modern warfare. To fill this gap, China began development on a armored 4x4 wheeled APC, that would also be used as a base for many other variants and support vehicles. by 2008, the ‘Type 08’ had been put into service, and just as quickly so did the ZBD-08, a variant with a manned 30mm turret, for self defense and Infantry cover.
While there’s nothing extraordinary about the Type 08, its was the perfect combination of protection, mobility, and versatility to launch it into success within the PLA military, with over 6000 hulls being built to serve multiple roles.

VN-1: Naturally with success comes the desire to capitalize on it, and in February of 2009, China unveiled the VN-1 for export at the International Defense Exhibition in Abu Dhabi. The VN-1 itself is based off an IFV derivative of the Type 08, the ZBD-09, however this too has several possible variants.

Thai Service: By 2017, Thailand had officially placed an order for 38 VN-1 IFV’s, equipped with a remote weapon system. By 2019, these vehicles had been delivered to the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, and are in service to this day.

Specifications---------------
Mobility:
Engine Deutz BF6M1015C diesel 11.9 litre
440 hp (330 kW)
Transmission semi-automatic
Maximum speed 100 km/h
Power to Weight: 20.95

Protection:
12.7mm protection from sides
25mm protection from front at 1000 meters
8X Smoke grenade launchers

Weapons:

1X 7.62mm machine gun
1X HJ-73C ATGM
1X ZPT-99 30mm Autocannon
1X 35mm QLZ 04 Grenade launcher
Gen 2 thermals for Gunner and TC

Spoiler

Interior pics:

Spoiler

In War Thunder: In game the VN-1 would serve as a advanced light tank, trying to use its good optics to spot targets, but having to use its ok mobility to flank enemy’s to both avoid taking hits, and putting its 30mm to good use. the 35mm grenade launcher offers some potential kills as well, thanks to its HEAT shell, but would still be irrelevant in many situations thanks to its low velocity. Overall would probably end up at 9.3 like other modern wheeled vehicles in game.

Sources:

https://armyrecognition.com/chinese_china_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_uk/vn1_8x8_wheeled_armored_vehicle_apc_technical_data_pictures.html

5 Likes

+1 The RWS is called UW4B, btw.

Spoiler

2 Likes

Thank you! Let me Change the name!

Also in case it wasn’t clear, i would also love to see the VN-1 come to China in whatever form possible as well, just like how the MBT-2000 and VT-4 have come the china

4 Likes

+1 Agree!!!

2 Likes

I only found out now that it has an HJ73

1 Like

Absolutely as part of the Thai sub-tree for Japan. +1

11 Likes

i used to be against putting thailand in japan(as im chinese but my grandparents lived in thailand for quite some time) but i now think that japan needs better vehicles and also that thailand has too many chinese vehicles to be unique in the chinese TT.
Anyways +1!

2 Likes

I want to say that having a Thai F5E does not necessarily mean Japan can obtain a Thai subtree. Reference Australia
And Japan has its own new FIV

1 Like

+1 for China where it should be

6 Likes

+1 For one in the Thai subtree for Japan

China doesn’t need the Thai VN-1 as they have their own Chinese VN-1 that they’d get at the same time anyways

Spoiler

2 Likes

if add right now, it would go to China. No objections there.

But it could also be added as a squadron vehicle for Japan; Thai subtree is an option as well

7 Likes

no and not only for thai but also for china, the VN1 chassis is really not cool, i just feel like im in jail, when i play it

Fun, new arty viecle with HEAT grenades

I realize that, but it seems to be the most likely candidate for a sub-tree in Japan, and frankly, Japan could use it.

5 Likes

thai vn1 will go to japan, cuz they bought it

china will get their zbl09 equivelent of it soon, because vn1 is the export variant of the zbl09

3 Likes

He means if there is a Thai subtree

6 Likes

im talking about thailand, they bought them, thus they have a chance for it going there

2 Likes

Oh look another guy which cannot read.
Norinco VN-1 (UW4B RWS) – The Modern Battle Taxi of the Royal Thai Army
I see Thai not
Norinco VN-1 (UW4B RWS) – The Modern Battle Taxi of the Royal Chinese Army
So where in that suggestion is Japanese?

5 Likes

It will go wherever gaijin wants it to go…its an export vehicle built by a Chinese company that Thailand decided to buy and now fully owns in their own ranks and flag…at that point it has nothing to do with China anymore

4 Likes