Mitsubishi F-2

Yea, but my point was more when was the last time Japan got the same tech the US got at the same time? Granted we almost did with the AJ but I suspect they couldn’t get the gear door sparrows working and delayed to try to get it to work.

I’d expect the US to get their F-15Cs in December and Japan to get their F-15Js in march which, to me, leaves a window in December for the XF-2, should they choose to bother with it at all. Otherwise in a year or so, when F-16Cs eventually get to the blocks that haver AESA, F-2 will show up and maybe XF-2 will be a squadron vehicle if it comes out at all.

we also got the F-4EJ at the same time alongside the U.S F-4E.

That is true. Was that the same with the F-104J as well?

Yes I believe we did at the same time as everyone. So if the U.S gets a early F-15C there is really no reason not to add a early F-15J and also for israel. which might be really soon, as for the F-2 gaijin is hesitant to add it sadly, probably due to that AESA radar.

I see. Then the question is, will we see AMRAAMs or not.

As for F-2, it honestly depends on when they want to tackle AESA as it’s inevitable. XF-2 just seems like the easiest way to avoid modeling AESA and just give the airframe with already existing loadouts. It’s an easy win for Gaijin so I’m surprised they went with the AJ route. Best guess is it’s the only option if they wanted to give Japan mavericks.

2 Likes

I honestly take a F-2 with temporary “nerfed” Radar over another half year of waiting and looking at other Nations getting 4+th gen fighters and broken SAM … but as cool and good the F-15J might be, its not an F-2.

This reminds me of my old Forum signature …

Send help crying

8 Likes

Did you make that? XD

Uh well, I adjusted a bit the shading and added the text - sooo yes-n-no :P

1 Like

Same.

I think it’s the coolest jet and I want it the most.

With the dev Q&A stating the following:

Q: There are no top tier jets for Sweden and Great Britain coming in this update to better counter the new MiG-29SMT. Do you plan to add new top tier aircraft for these nations?
A: We have plans to add new top tier jets to both Sweden and Great Britain this year. Stay tuned to the news.

The only likely logical addition is the Gripen and Typhoon, maybe we can see the F-2 by this year?

I do not think the Typhoon is on the way. They didn’t say “gen4”. Rather I think they’ll add a Tornado with AMRAAMs.

Yeah agreed. It could very well be another more advanced version of the Tornado with AMRAAMS and such. I mean who knows maybe? But i honestly have my doubts for F-2 this year, at best i expect early F-15J by December.

I recall the Tornado F.3 ingame is the variant with AMRAAM capability… unless if they decide to add another separate vehicle as a late or modified version (maybe even retroactively renaming the current one to Tornado F.3 early to accommodate the AOP integrated version)

I do know the Gripen has been rumored for quite some time through what one dev said, so maybe some really early versions of the Typhoon (DA1-DA7) as an equivalent is possible, but who knows? I digress though, if Typhoon and Gripen are on the chopping block, then I would think that the Viper Zero should be considered - Japan is going to be hung dry with sitting on the F-4EJ Kai and F-2AJ until the arrival of the F-15J/F-2

They also said they were going to add a vehicle, keep in mind it doesn’t have to be gen4 or a Tornado to fire AMRAAM.

Afaik AMRAAMs require own mountings - Just like the german F-4F ICE which was modified to carry AMRAAMs but also lost the capability to physically mount Sparrows.
I guess we will see another F.3 with AMRAAMs and AIM-9L/i. (And Japan will be once again behind everyone and everything for months / years…)

It would have to be the earliest Eurofighter possible, with just Tornado engines. EF-2000s with their actual engines and flight performance would outperferm the Gripen C (and most other top tiers in game) by far.

I still don´t understand why Gaijin refuses to implement at least an XF-2A with AN/APG-68, AAM-3 and AIM-7M.

2 Likes

This is true, but the vehicle they are adding should be a counter to the Mig-29SMT at least, so the only other thing that comes to mind is if they give the Tornado F3 AMRAAMS (as a separate vehicle), or the (early) Typhoon

The only other thing that Great Britain has that is AMRAAM capable is the Sea Harrier FA2… but I don’t think the Sea Harrier FA2 or better would really be a contender to the Mig-29SMT, since it’s… a Harrier

Given their answer about Japan SPAA, I would imagine they’re running on either outdated information or their Japanese consultant hasn’t provided the data they need.

Realistically, they should have never added the AJ and should have added the XF-2A now. But the running theory is they had to add the AJ so Japan gets mavericks until L-JDAMS with F-2 Late.

3 Likes

Nothing they have is a counter to the MiG-29SMT. The Typhoon is better and everything else is worse. You’re stuck in a bad spot like Japan.

Theoretically you can also equip the XF-2A with AN/AAQ-33 Sniper ATP and GBU-54 L-JDAM. It wouldn’t even be wrong since the XF-2 ADTWs are used for Weapon / Pod evaluations and we saw at least one with it already.
The F-16AJ is completely pointless and a lazy addition, my point on that never changed and never will.

1 Like

No sign of F-16C Block 60 either, the F-2A’s closest equivalent.
I don’t expect either until a while after F-15s personally.
Our patience will continue to be tested.