Mitsubishi F-15J

Because CWI is not part of the APG-66 and shows the APG-66J is not just another APG-66.

And what is stopping from the same update being applied to the APG-66J. The point is that the APG-66J has the hardware necessary to do TWS.

And I pointed out that the F-4EJ has multiple features part of that upgrade program, so clearly the EJ Kai received upgrades during IRAN to include that 1995 Z2 OFP on the F-16.

Same hardware? Well, APG-66J and APG-66 is similar hardware, so it’s possible that TWS mode could be possible, but nothing has been proven. It’s pointless to claim this without proof.

Once again you are making claims without any proof.

You are only claiming that the EJ Kai received an upgrade, and you are not providing any evidence for this.

Furthermore, the test report mentions that TWS has very limited performance, and only mentions using that mode when using AMRAAM, not AIM-7. It is also nonsense that EJ Kai, who only uses AIM-7, received the mod when it is not for AIM-7.

1 Like

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104575/aim-7-sparrow/
Production of H-build AIM-7Ms began in 1987. Japan only received license rights to build the AIM-7M in 1990.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/gaiko/treaty/pdfs/A-H2-2861.pdf
Production of base model AIM-7M halted in 1992 way before Japan stopped producing AIM-7Ms meaning they were producing H-build sparrows. It would be impossible for the EJ Kai to carry AIM-7Ms that Japan received unless it got the same upgrade package that includes TWS.

Then there is the AAM-3 that has self search capabilities as well. Again it wouldn’t be able to do this without the same upgrade as it uses the AIM-9L serial bus.

Idk ask that to the JA-37C or even the ground attack only AJ-37 that doesn’t even have radar missiles. The Mirage 2000N and D without radar missiles too.

4 Likes

AIM-7M H-build integration of the Z2 OFP is that does not require TWS.

Improvements to the AIM-7MH include:

• No premature fuze firing in chaff
  • 16K rather than an 8K automatic data processor
  • Improved ECCM performance
  • Better clutter avoidance
  • Improved high altitude performance
Spoiler

To integrate MH, TWS is not required.

Adding TWS in the Z2 OFP was for the F-16ADF’s AMRAAM, not for Sparrow guidance or better air-to-air combat. The report mentions that it could not find the enemy when they maneuvers above 2g.

Also, Z2 OFP is F-16 only program, why is the F-4EJ Kai receiving it?

As mentioned earlier, it also makes no sense to think that the F-4EJ Kai is compatible with the F-16’s upgrade program when it uses the J/AYK-1, which is based on the F-15’s weapon computer. If they wanted to break the computer by installing the Z2 OFP on the J/AYK-1, I would understand.

Also, the AAM-3 document you brought (防衛庁技術研究本部五十年史) does not mention self search capabilities. “高いオフボアサイト能力と目標捕捉能力” is High off-bore sight capability and target acquisition ability.

When I say that the TWS mode of the APG-66 is for AMRAAM, what do you bring in the completely different PS/46 of the JA37C? TWS in APG-66 and TWS in PS/46 are for different purposes.

And you don’t think the radars on the AJ37, Mirage 2000N/D were incorrectly implemented? those radars had very limited air-to-air modes.

5 Likes

Japan is getting F-15J with AAM-3

8 Likes

We’re so back Japanbros

4 Likes

I didn’t expect that tbh but not complaining! I am surprised with 9Ms though

Very unexpected but very welcoming addition.

Grinding F-15J with the best F-16

images

4 Likes

Banzai!!!

1 Like

For some reason no one posted this yet so I will do it

3 Likes

Seems like it can carry 240 CMs total. So mixed would be 120 flares and 120 chaff and all flares is 240 flares. Really nice.

I wonder how AAM-3 will perform given it’s unique with guidance? Maybe it won’t be modeled? Either way it’s a better 9M which is what we were expecting.

1 Like

stats for anyone whos wondering

1 Like

Mike also mentioned that it should have a slightly better radar than the F-15A. I thought both the F-15A and pre-MSIP F-15J used the same APG-63? Is the F-15J coming with APG-63(V)1 instead? Which also means it’s MSIP version and also gets better engines?

AAM-3’s gimbal limit isn’t any better than the 9L’s, seems like we’ll need to bug report that.

Yeah thats what im confused about pre-msip should just be regular apg-63. If its APG-63 V1 then that means they gave us a fox 3 capable F-15J lmao

It’s just APG-63, not APG-63 V1. So this is a pre-MSIP.

Ok good mike being goofy then

It could also not be finished yet since dev server. Probably copy and paste.

Then again did MSIP even use APG-63(V)1 or is that MTDP and is MTDP different from MSIP?

AAM-3 missile also has the wrong warhead and speed too. Speed should be Mach 3.5, and the warhead from what we know should be 15kg… So as of this moment it just seems like they made the AAM-3 a 40G AIM-9M copy. Looks like we’ll need to do quite a bit of reporting.
EDIT: Seems to be conflicting information about the speed, whether it’s Mach 2.5-3.5 so I guess we should at least focus on the other aspects atm, like warhead gimbal limit, track rate, and warhead explosive mass.

1 Like