Mitsubishi F-15J

technically, yes, in actuality, someone (DB) will stone wall it at every opportunity they can. Similar to what happened with the EJ Kai and TWS mode on its radar.

One source will deny it and be taken as gospel

TWS mode of the APG-66 has been tested since 1992. The actual upgrade was not until 1995. Is there any evidence that Japan implemented this upgrade to the F-4EJ Kai? Most sources indicate that the basic APG-66J is identical to the basic APG-66.

Do we know if the Pre MSIP F-15J added countermeasures? Or were they similar to the US F-15s that didn’t get CMs added until MSIP upgrades?

Standard equipment from C4 lots delivered in 1983, with C1~C3 lots added at a later date.

1 Like

Do we know how many CMs it had?

1 Like

Is that 120 flares/120 chaff for WT or 60 flares/60 chaff? Or is that fully customizable to have 180 flares/chaff?

They aren’t.
Normal APG-66 has 548
APG-66J has 704 elements
The APG-66J is much larger and not simply an identical APG-66.
Also I don’t know where you got info on the APG-66 not getting TWS until 1995 when this document is already talking about TWS on the APG-68 in 1984. The APG-68 built on the infrastructure of the APG-66 and began deliveries in 1984, so why would it take them 5 years to retrofit TWS on the APG-66

5 Likes

Hmmm not sure actually

Hopefully it is a lot of flares as top tier really needs it these days in air RB.

i think it’s gonna be 120 all flare, 120 all chaff or 60/60 flare and chaff
i don’t think WT can do costumized countermeasure yet

1 Like

I know it said 120 flare/240 chaff but I was wondering if the CM boxes are interchangeable so you could do all 360 flares or chaff, something like that.

It is 8 boxes. Each box can hold either 30 chaff or 15 flares. How it will be in game is dependent on gaijins modeling

2 Likes

this is only my speculation but i think gaijin only take the ammount of the counter measure and just divide them to 2 for mix or 3 ish for flare priority.

so either 120/2 60 or 240/2 120.

i don’t think gaijin have chaff priority setting at the moment, but if it’s mixed 60/120 probably doable?

edited: sorry mixed between priority and reinforced setting there

It would be worth digging in to find if Japanese F-15s were modified to carry BOL countermeasures. The US ones could but I haven’t done any looking for the export versions.

At the very least it sounds like all flares gets at least 120 flares and potentially more depending on how they decide to implement.

1 Like

looking how many missile that a plane can carry on the trailer, more is definitely better.

1 Like

Yes, there was a problem with my wording. Let me clarify: the APG-66J was based on the baseline APG-66, and “identical in air-to-air mode”.

Well, they didn’t integrate TWS until 1995, So they haven’t added TWS to baseline APG-66 and APG-66(V)1 in exactly 11 years.

Why? But they did.

Therefore, starting with APG-66(V)2, TWS was integrated in production, while the previous APG-66 series required upgrade.

F-16A/B Z2 Operational Flight Program Developmental Test and Evaluation Flight Test Program

I’ll upload only this page to the forum, because it’s only legally available until this page

This report presents the results of the F-16A/B 22 Operational Flight Program (OFP) Developmental Test and Evaluation Flight Test Program. The Z2 referred to the core avionic OFP software for F-16A/B Block 10 and 15 aircraft. The Z2 production OFP was the culmination of a 3-year development program which included the test and evaluation of five developmental tapes. Significant enhancements evaluated during this test program included: enhanced envelope gunsight, digital terrain system, ring laser gyroscope integration, track-while-scan , AIM-9L/M automatic acquisition, AIM-7M H-Build integration, threat area avoidance, and automatic waypoint navigation. Regression testing of baseline functionality was performed to include the following areas: safety of flight, navigation, radar, air-to-air, and air-to-ground. The 514th Flight Test Squadron (and the former 2872d and 15th Test Squadrons) accomplished 321 flight test missions between March 1992 and January 1995 at the Utah Test and Training Range, Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

1 Like

Again it’s not. The APG-66J includes the ability to guide sparrows over the original APG-66. The US didn’t get sparrow capability until after the EJ Kai on the F-16A ADF.

The basis for the F-4EJ Kai’s central computer is the F-15 which can and was upgraded with H build integration as well. The F-4EJ Kai also has access to the same AIM-9L automatic acquisition as the AAM-3 docs show it has that function and uses the same serial bus as the AIM-9L. LN-39 navigation from the A-10 also received these features and is uses on the F-4EJ Kai. These features don’t mean much as all were compatible with software updates on the F-4EJ Kai.

1 Like

You mentioned the TWS mode, and I said the air-to-air mode of the radar in reply. What does the addition of CWI to the APG-66J have to do with the mode of the radar? Their air-to-air modes were identical.

You are mixing the installation of J/AYK-1 with an upgrade of the radar itself. The installation of the J/AYK-1 and the upgrade of the TWS mode of the APG-66J are two different things. The J/AYK-1 was installed when the F-4EJ Kai was modified, but the TWS mode on the APG-66 was started after the F-4EJ Kai program began and was not evaluated until 1995.

You need to provide evidence for this, I have brought you evidence that APG-66 did not receive TWS mode until 1995, but you have not uploaded any evidence, you are just claiming that it is “possible”.

1 Like