Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

I got Gaijin’d :(

6 Likes

Thanks for clearing it up!

Well right now I am feeling M2KF much better than couple of days ago + S530D are doing much better (at least in tracking)

Why is the Magic 2 limited to <35G until it is almost at peak speed from optimal launch?
It should be able to maneuver at 35G quite a bit sooner after launch…

The advantage of the layout of the missile is as such:
The fins in front of the canards allow great AoA of the missile. In-game the control surfaces are limited to just 15.3 degrees. In real life, the missile could exceed 20 degrees of AoA.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1123309295749054575/AoA20.jpg

The other issue with canard types is the effectiveness of the canards can be compromised by interference from the tails, in some cases roll moments from the canards is greatly reduced or reversed by the tails. The magic fixes this by having a tail that is free to rotate.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1120154616701665361/image.png

The magic 2 solves both of the issues that prevent this missile type from utilizing combined plane maneuverability, and thanks to @Flame2512 we now know the missiles’ guidance system actively sought out the combined plane maneuverability thanks to the elimination of roll interference from the free-spinning tail section. What more research do the developers need? If there is something that they know and we do not… perhaps it is pertinent they share it, or request the specific information they might be missing.

18 Likes

So we must be patient for combined plane simulation.

currently in game it’s limited to 15.3 degrees AoA may be worth a report

Regarding Flame’s source for the missile wanting to pull combined plane, and so others can see it means what we say it does; Click on the links to see the original content / sources for the quoted text.

Spoiler

It explicitly states

“rotation of the missile-to-target vector is detected with respect to the inertial axes by measuring the precession of the gyroscope whose rotor axis is aligned in the direction of the target”.

Later it states

“The roll rate gyro produces the angular velocity signals for controlling the missile in role”

Then finally, it states

the “roll motions ordered by the differential deflection of the pitch control surfaces”

To sum this up, the missile rolls via differential deflection of the pitch control surfaces. It does so to align the roll-rate gyroscope with the missile-to-target vector as calculated by the inertial axes.

If I understand this correctly…
This means that the missile (to pitch towards target) has to do so in dual-plane all of the time.

3 Likes

I have made a report to fix the Magic 2s lack of IRCCM
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/Z7sS4gX0q73o

It should have a 4-element crossed array detector that is superior to the R-73s 2-element crossed array.
It is also said to be superior to the PL-9C.

Hopefully we can eventually get the magic to it’s proper 50G, IRCCM, HMS employment.

9 Likes

Damn how you guys find such accurate and complete sources i once made 10 hours of research on internet and couldn’t find anything close to an official report.

1 Like

How does the proper Magic 2 flare resistance compare to the current AIM-9L?

Magic 2 has better flare resistance than the R-73. @ExcaliburSniper

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/umoShMdb7qOR
I also made this

I’ve made a better sourced and supported report that has been acknowledged.

Didnt say yours is worse or anything. Just that it also exists.

It has not been acknowledged because it was first marked french instead of english, due to a citation.

Again they broke the S530D… missing every single shot not matter how good lock I have

I’m still getting a bug where my radar won’t gimbal to follow a locked target, which makes it impossible for me to use the radar gun lead or crank in head ons, if you guys have the same issue please vote this up Community Bug Reporting System

Video for example https://streamable.com/6tqwdz

Any way you could provide a video?

I see that you’re also having this issue with Mig-29

Hmm done a few tests in an RB match (didn’t record) but yeah RDY or 530D seems to lack power when it comes to fire a radar missile from behind a target in all aspect PD. Considering RDY the documents that have been shared on the old forums this in an anomaly RDY should be able to allow fire at targets from behind. And if the problem does not come from the Radar the 530D suffer a tracking problem on rear locked targets which it should be able to track normally, or not idk but then what is the logic of implementing a plane for it’s all aspect radar capability ifg you can’t even exploit it?

me being me tried to track helicopters with it , funny enough it can can not find targets in search all aspect PD BUT it can lock a hovering helicopter grounded in ACM from 14km away! but the lock is not strong enough to guide the R530 from no more than 1.3km which R530 won’t hit anything .I think the radar is sensitive enough to track the targets but the lock is not strong enough to let the missiles seeker track targets , is anybody going to make a report about this cause I don’t understand how supporting evidence for this should be