Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection (Part 1)

I have a question. Is there any explanation why the H001 and H019 can’t smoothly change their tilt angle in TWS mode?

That’s how they were designed. I don’t remember specifics but it is accurate

What airframe this one again? 155 or 156?

156, it was mig-29ovt first showcase
image
no wiring

1 Like

This poor airframe had so much remodelling work done to it. MiG just couldn’t let it rest

1 Like

That’s not literally true. Discrete azimuth zone shifting is only available when manual zone control is selected. Automatic control is also available.

There are no specified restrictions regarding elevation angle.

image
This is about the Su-27, but the essence is the same.

Mostly since 9-19R is a retrofit after it was built unlike the others that had it built in with the design

what do you mean by this?
do you mean automatic adjustment of scan zone of elevation for auto tracking of target?

yep

He means that you have 3 preset horizontal scan zones

Oh, wait, my bad. About auto tracking - iirc vertical tracking for N001 does exist but it’s extremely unreliable and tends to go schizo mode so pilots usually just disable it (at least from what I could gather on Russian aviation forums from people close to the pilots or that served as pilots.)

and there is no automatic change of elevation angle, which is doubly strange

It’s the same thing.

I’m essentially talking about why the rotation doesn’t work automatically in TVS mode.

Essentially, there should only be 3 zones if you manually move the antenna.

Horizontal rotation works. Only vertical doesn’t

1 Like

3 positions, not smooth rotation. Although, as I showed above, discrete control with 3 zones is only in the case of manual control, not automatic

bc the pilot in the cockpit has a 3 way switch for azimut

Please read

Selector “targeting” : auto or manual

Do you have full source? And can you share it if you do?

I have it, but I can’t share it because it was bought for a decent amount of money, not by me, for study. But this is just what is written in the cabin, there is essentially no need for a book here
image

Essentially, it says here that the 3 zones are only available in manual mode.

And the elevation angle can be freely adjusted in any mode.