McDonell Douglas A-4M Skyhawk II - The Last American Scooter

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

McDonell Douglas A-4M Skyhawk II

HUGE THANKS to @Shin_Kazama for providing sources!

Historical overview

Spoiler

The A-4 Skyhawk is a single-seat, single-engine naval strike aircraft. Designed by Ed Heinemann, it was contracted for in June 1952 and two years later it flew for the first time. Having participated in numerous conflicts and still in service to this day, it is undoubtedly one of the most succesful designs in military aviation history.

The particular variant this suggestion is focused on is the A-4M Skyhawk II. It is the last variant of this aircraft produced by the United States and it was built specifically for the Marines, who did not want to give up on the A-4 at a time when the A-7 Corsair II was replacing it in the Navy.

Two A-4Fs were modified, serving as the A-4M prototypes, and the production of this new model started in 1969. It first flew on April 10th, 1970, and the first deliveries began taking place a year later, and gradually it was incorporated into Marine squadrons.

The last A-4M, BuNo 160264, was delivered in February 1979, marking the end of Skyhawk production.
A-4Ms remained in service with Reserve units until 1994. After that date, the only Skyhawks remaining in service with the Navy or Marines were two-seat trainers.

Above: the last A-4M built, BuNo 160264 showing the flags of all Skyhawk operators at the time.

Features and characteristics

Spoiler

The main feature of the A-4M was the new engine, the P&W J52-P-408, which was noticeably more powerful than the previous J52-P-8A on A-4Fs.

Other features, improvements, visual characteristics found in the A-4M are the following:

• Smokeless burner can
  • Revised cockpit and larger canopy for improved visibility
  • Ribbon type drag chute
  • Squared off vertical fin for an IFF antenna
  • Heads Up Display
  • Increased internal ammunition for it’s 20mm cannons
  • Canted refueling probe
  • Integrated weapons display and delivery systems
  • Advanced electronics. ALR-45(V) RWR, ALE-39 countermeasures, ALQ-126 deception jammer.
  • ARBS (also found on the nose of the AV-8B/Harrier GR.7)

Some pictures and schematics:

Spoiler

Close-up of a late A-4M’s nose, with ARBS

Close-ups of the A-4M’s tail

A-4M’s exterior features

Cockpit layout and details

Examples of HUD symbology

Technical data

Spoiler

Engine
Pratt & Whitney J52-P-408
11,200 lb of thrust, static @ sea level

Fuel and oil

• Total internal capacity: 800 gallons, 560 in the fuselage and 240 in the wings
  • Fuel grade: JP-4
  • Oil: 5 gallons

Aircraft dimensions

• Length: 41 ft 3 inch
  • Height: 15 ft 3 inch
  • Wing span: 27 ft 6 inch
  • Wing area: 260 sq ft

Weights

• Empty: 10,048 lb
  • Combat: 17,657 lb
  • Maximum takeoff weight: 24,500 lb

Performance

• Maximum speed: 597 knots
  • Rate of climb: 15,650 @ sea level, 14,700lb combat weight
  • Service ceiling: 44,300 ft

Armament
Guns

• 2x Colt Mk 12 20mm cannons, 200 rounds of ammunition each, 400 total

Ordnance

Table of ordnance options (early production):

Spoiler

• AGM-45 Shrike
  • AGM-62 Walleyes I and II
  • AGM-65 Maverick
  • AIM-9B, D, G, H and L Sidewinders
  • Mk 82, 83 and 84 Laser Guided Bombs (note: A-4M cannot self-designate, I mention these bombs for future reference)
  • GPU-2A 20mm gunpods
  • Mk 4 Mod 0 20mm HIPEG gunpods

Sources and pictures of the ordnance mentioned:

Spoiler

Mavericks

AIM-9L on the outboard station, and mentioned in the cutaway image below

Pictures

Spoiler

Sources

1. NAVAIR 01-40AVM-1 NATOPS Flight Manual, Navy Model A-4M Aircraft, 1 March 1987

2. Standard Aircraft Characteristics A-4M Skyhawk

3. NAVAIR 01-40AVM-75 Airborne Weapons/Stores Loading Manual, Navy Model A-4M ,15 November 1979

4. Avionics System Performance Specification for A-4M/AV-8 Bombing Set, Angle Rate AN/ASB-19(V)

5. McDonell Douglas A-4M Skyhawk by Steve Ginter

6. A-4 Skyhawk in Detail & Scale by Bert Kinzey

7. A-4M Skyhawk - Aeroguide 14

8. Joe Baugher

9. China Lake Photo Archive

9 Likes

Gib me

3 Likes

MAJOR +1 from me!
Been wanting this in-game for years now

Some potential options for GE/researchable camos if we were to get the mid-life/late A-4M:

A-4M bicolor 4

A-4M VF-126 1

3 Likes

And another thing as well: with the latest A-4M mod (referred to as Super Mike), supposedly a few were able to carry 2x-4x AGM-65Es, though could not self-lase/designate. I would instead propose Gaijin to replace them with AGM-65F Mavericks, which are imaging infrared.
While there’s no evidence the A-4M was wired for them, there’s also no evidence against it (same for the A-4N "Ayit"s centerline LAU-88 with AGM-65As). It could be done for both balance, and as a way to make this A-4M more desirable in the US TT. We know for a fact that the LAU-117 AND LAU-88 could carry most Maverick variants (weight restrictions do apply however), and with the A-4M being capable of carrying at least two LAU-117 single racks, it would be justifiable. Plus, I believe that both the Navy AND Marines used the AGM-65E AND AGM-65F interchangeably, depending on the mission at hand.

5 Likes

+1 at same BR as A-4N, but with AIM-9Gs making it better in A2A combat, while worse in A2G combat (A-4M should have 4x AIM-9s, as should A-4E)

Of course! +1

I have been waiting for this variant of the Skyhawk since the biggest leak.

Just hope this doesn’t come as either premium or event aircraft, and it should come as the tech tree aircraft instead.

8 Likes

U are goat man

2 Likes

I want it!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

2 Likes

I honestly hope that Gaijin decides to get either an updated version of this model, or just use an entirely new one if/when they add it.
I need muh ALR-45F, AIM-9L, IFF, and better HUD

1 Like

Your suggestions are always goated, man. I’m in.

2 Likes

Some photos showing off A-4Ms equipped with CATM-9L/M Sidewinder training rounds:

A-4M with AIM-9L or M pic 2
A-4M with AIM-9L or M pic 3

A photo of an A-4M with an unidentified Maverick variant (could very well be the F or G due to low-vis paint):
8a836a28474aca144128761697d5ef150087d876_2_500x333

2 Likes

I don’t know A-4M before or after A-10A late, but want add to researchable vehicle

I might hope A-4M coming to this year

I waiting you made another suggestions domestic USA aircraft rank VI ~ VII

• Vought F8U-1 (F-8A) Crusader
  • Vought F8U-1E (F-8B) Crusader
  • Vought F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader
  • Vought F-8K Crusader
  • Douglas A-4C Skyhawk
  • Douglas A-4F Skyhawk (J52-P-8A or J52-P-408 engine)
  • LTV A-7B Corsair II (TF30-P-408 engine)
  • North American F-100F Super Sabre (Wild Weasel I)
  • Republic F-105F Thunderchief (Wild Weasel III)
1 Like

It depends if the A-4M is added with the loadout of AIM-9L’s

If not, before the A-10A Later, If yes probably after it

More images of A-4M Skyhawk II and inside the cockpit.

Images

3 Likes