MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details

you would think so, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT…

2 Likes

For a company that markets the game as “Realisitc” the fact that they used the “We assume that…” is a MASSIVE red flag for everyone.

Well, of course, if you arent Russia. Sorry USSR, then you just get buffed by coping devs.

31 Likes

That’s only a secondary source

4 Likes

What ever happened to not using Russian sources for NATO vehicles? Also, your reasoning for this boils down to “Russian MANPADs sucked so we ASSUME NATO MANPADs sucked as well”.

31 Likes

gaijin: “iglas are bad so stingers must also be bad”

17 Likes

Time for some popcorn. Drama is fun.

2 Likes

The Update title should be “Gas Lighting”

23 Likes

“Comrade if glorious soviet engineers cant make the missile pull harder it means there is no way this missile can pull harder than similar soviet thing”

6 Likes

There are a significant number of questions left by your arguments. You are assuming because the surfaces look similar, the flight performance must be nearly identical. This makes several assumptions, which are not answered. First, what do the internal controls that move the external rudders and other control surfaces look like? A stronger control motor can handle higher G loads against the control surface. You also are forgetting to factor in the fuel and what sorts of thrust it can create, higher thrust means the missile can pull higher G’s. Overall, it’s clear that War Thunder is not an appropriate source for this sort of information. If we cited any other video game, you guys would reject that info while laughing. Similarly, you all should not be your own sources. Unless you are willing to provide your own credentials as to why you are experts in rocket physics, I strongly suggest you let actual experts provide information and defer to professional sources.

22 Likes

So, you guys are doing this on purpose now right? The devs really aren’t this stupid, right?

15 Likes

literally, probs get penalised by the mods but at this point the fact someone genuinly “tried” to argue because they look similar to one another they must perform similar is just poor logic, heck its not even logic its just ignorance on other factors

4 Likes

God this is fucking hilarious.

First it was “Russian sources are not credible for NATO Hardware” (see Leclerc and Abrams)

Now it’s “Igla control surface looks kinda similar to Stinger and Mistral, therefor we are choosing to ignore official documentation and primary sources on NATO Hardware in favor of basing the Stinger and Mistral’s performance off of the capabilities of the Igla.”

42 Likes

@Smin1080p @k_stepanovich @OrsonES

Why isn’t momentum of the manpad’s maneuverability taken into account? If I’m in a plane that is doing 15G and I instantly let go of the stick, it doesn’t instantaneously go to 0G. Instead I see a quick deceleration to 5G and then 0G. Similarly, the Mistral missile is doing 15 revolutions per seconds, this means it revolves too quick for it to decelerate enough and stop pitching. If it’s fins stops pulling after it was pulling 25G, it doesn’t stop pitching and never goes to 0G if the target it’s chasing is always moving. Manpads such as the Mistral and Stinger rotate so quickly that it never stops pitching if it needs to continually pitch in the desired direction. The momentum carries forward. The average overload of Mistral and Stinger should be greater than what they currently are.

Currently this is what devs erroneously believe:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1189254449412177961/image_15.png?ex=659d7e84&is=658b0984&hm=4e6580b23651e0869486f6e25fbae6ecedd974b62764fd36f84aa53d61c029aa&

When in reality, it is like this, and therefore the average overload should be much higher and momentum should be taken into account:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1189254312036147270/8ait9j.jpg?ex=659d7e63&is=658b0963&hm=b72bfa5770939af626d822582d7b9d921c32fe0078ef65f26c23e28473a90f22&

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1189254330356862976/pitch1.png?ex=659d7e67&is=658b0967&hm=c97db47a37a80cf511ab7f551b2ae123db0ed99fb03d7388c02526fd1891f30f&

Thanks to @LeGrandSarrazin and @legocubed for their efforts in illustrating this.

58 Likes

Since when gaijin was the ultimate primary source used to model missiles, armour or anything else in the game?

Your “beliefs” and “assumptions” are irrelevant.

We have actual sources form those who literally made these missiles, so why would your personal opinions hold any weight at all?

It’s nice that gaijin finally showed what they are actually like, instead of pretending to care about realism or historical accuracy at all.

51 Likes

So it seems that people who know start to appear, i wonder how much longer till people with sources drop by?
(this is not sarcasm in any way)

Didnt you read the post?

Sources dont matter, gaijin is apparently the pre-eminent technical source on all things warfare repated now.

Gaijin knows more than primary sources

Assumptions > technical documentation

Eat shit westards, glorious Russia reigns supreme, western nations are incapable of exceeding Russia technologically

Maybe i should start writting bug reports with “I assume”, “I believe”, and maybe even “it came to me in a dream”

29 Likes

Yes i did, i was the first person to comment here

puma ammo bug report flashbacks…

1 Like

Must be german, sarcasm flew right over your head…

2 Likes

Glory To The Devs Who Look Forward !