Mistral Performance Is Still An Anomaly

Screenshot 2023-12-10 221903
Screenshot 2023-12-10 222050

From datamines 2.32.0.23

1 Like

Not really found of that 2s fuse time delay, otherwise it’s pretty good. Still only 16G, but better than the previous 12

I tested it and its better but definitely not ty90. I think the low burn time is a very nice stealth upgrade though and will catch players off guard. Interesting the fuse is dead .2 sec until the motor stops burning. the range seems iffy still and wont reach as far as a stinger

2 Likes

Anyone know how it is against cas after the change? The italian chopper can hold 8 mistral so in theory it could work like a z9wa with 8 ty90. The low burn time could catch people off guard as the missile travels invisibly the majority of flight time

It has a lower burn time but also comes with a far worse range especially when maneuvering. For me the change has been great for ground based systems, but not that much for helis

In futher testing Ive noticed mistral still goes limp after a little distance leading to misses when it should have no trouble hitting. Ill gather some video, but mistral is missing non maneuvering su25s at like 4.5km distance which is unacceptable. I watch it fly in and it just goes limp 10 feet from impact. I cant explain why it does this when igla and stinger have no trouble pulling after burn. Thinking its something wrong with the autopilot itself. Oh and the missile texture spins while the control fins dont. I will never understand the lack of care put into mistral.

2 Likes

Drag is too high. That + turning means it will bleed all its energy, and the less energy a missile has, the less it’s able to turn.

The drag may also be too high but it seems to be something else wrong. Just like before the tracking goes haywire just before impact. Its got overall less range and maneuverability than a stinger which is just hilarious as the entire point of mistral is to compromise weight to gain higher performance than shoulder launched manpads. It blows my mind

Alright, I got a pretty good video of a slightly angled headon mistral shot about 4km against an unaware target.

Spoiler

2 Likes

Beware that replays might not show accurate positions of different objects, so that might not be acceptable for a report.
However, I do believe this one is about right. I have had quite a lot of similar issues live while using the tracking camera of my missile missing by just a few meters when the target isn’t really moving. I never record my game, so there’s nothing I can show as evidence, but at least you are confirming that I am not crazy.
The mistral launched from Helis is still about as bad has it used to be.
I seem to be more lucky with the Santal, but I don’t know if it’s a Placebo or if there is something different in launching from the ground directly on the battlefield or from the air a bit further away.

2 Likes

there is a sweetspot now where mistral is indeed better than is was, and the low burn time makes it very stealthy, but its still got something weird going on. Mistrals current delta v is over 900 which is better than every short range ir aam carried by jets so the fact its failing to keep enough energy for a simple headon 4km shot is baffling. I dont know if it has something to do with the rolling airframe of the missile bleeding speed or what but its clearly not right

2 Likes

I remember developers in a Q&A somewhere denied that mistral “could pull more than 20g with its structure”, which sounds really ridiculous as if they knew this missile better than Nexter which states 30g in their documents.

1 Like

I really dont understand the obsessiveness gaijin has specifically with manpads. With everything else they take it according to documentation but with mistral they straight up deny manufacturers own stats along with numerous other sources just because the computer game developers don’t think its possible. And it seems this is a hill they are willing to die on, so to speak

1 Like

while the 16G load is not the best, the changes are definitely a buff.

Played the Santal a fair bit today, and the quick burn time and high speed gives very little reaction time and spotting time for enemy CAS to avoid the missile (unlike prior to fix).

I’d say they still need to separate the mistral in 3 versions, with the current one being mistral 1, that would give a fair margin of improvement imo

EDIT : just went to the manpads thread, 16G is still too low, and while it behaves better, some planes can still avoid it by turning, sometimes not even aggressively (or while they are not even aware a missile is headed their way), so it should still receive the 25G imo

Yep, using the Santal, so launching from the ground, directly from the battlefield, also feels like an upgrade to me. However, where we are saying the buff is not significant (or even not a buff, but rather a nerf) is when using it from the heli. It just misses so much for no reason and range has been massively nerfed

1 Like

seemed mostly fine in the test drive, but i didn’t do a lot of testing on helicopter to be honest, so can’t really share any opinion on that subject

I have over 100 kills with the atam mistral and its a very mixed bag, on one hand the maneuverability is clearly better (albeit for a very short window of time) and the low burn time makes it mostly invisible to enemy, the range is so bad it sometimes fails to hit a10s going 300mph from 4km. If the target is higher than you especially, it really likes to miss.

2 Likes

MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details well, gaijing is at it again
MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details - #100 by DirectSupport
also this answer explains how they are wrong
There are a few other comments with different approach all disproving in some ways the devs claim

2 Likes

At this point, I’m thinking about the reasons of why they deny it so much

A) they don’t want to spend 30 minutes and money coding 2 new variant of Mistral to the game in the respective BR range. (Gazelle with mistral 1, Tigre with Mistral 2 or 3

B) they deny it because it would shadow the CCCP proudness " only Soviet can do it, no one else"

C)waiting to create a premium with a correctly modeled mistral but only into the main big nations.

1 Like

Absolutely useless missile now. Sad to see but not unexpected since it’s NATO.

1 Like