M24 Chaffee for British tech tree

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Introduction:

Hi everyone, today i would like to suggest a lend lease tank that saw service with the british during the waning weeks of WW2 that most players of the game should be well familiar with; the M24 chaffee. The British army was the only significant recipient of this tank from lend lease during WW2, which received depending on the source between 203 to 302 in 1944 and an additional 99 in 1945, out of an initial order of 842 which was never fully completed due to the cessession of hostilities at the end of ww2. The vehicles entering front line service in the last weeks of the war, in the NWE theater, where they replaced the stuart tanks currently in service.

british-m24-chaffee.png

Historical information:

The vehicles were deployed in small numbers in april of 1945, with units known to have been included in the Recce squadrons of the 7th Armoured Division (The Desert Rats) in north west europe. During this time at least two of these tanks were lost in combat prior to the end of the war. By june 1945 the 7th Armoured Division had an operational strength of 28 M24 Chaffee light tanks, with additional tanks being sent to ital and india for training purposes. At the end of the war the majority of the british M24s in europe were given to the dutch army in line with alot of other equitment from the 21st army group to help them rebuild their armed forces after WW2 ended. Unfortunately there is not much more to say about its service, as once the war ended it was quickly replaced by native designs with the tanks being sold on to other nations or scrapped.

Pictures:

Pin on cckw

M24 Chaffee T330645 “Hemlock III” | Late WW2 era American … | Flickr

Vehicle Specification:

The specification for the Chaffee is identical to those present in other trees currently in game and is as follows:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Sources:

3 Likes

+1 for premium as desert rats skinned

1 Like

The Chinese also have it, there is no reason it should not be in the UK tech tree seeing as we operated basically all of them under lend lease

3 Likes

While I’d love it, I’d probably make it a premium. As the British have plenty of 6-Pdr and QF 75mm armoured cars to fill the light role.

1 Like

The aphe ammo is what makes it interesting, well that and the fact the chaffee is arguably the best light tank at that br

It would be great! I imagine M24 on a British tech tree, but need to be a bit difference than other M24, like use M61 APCBC with no HE variant and fight on 3.0 BR at arcade battle, fight 3.3 BR on realistic battle like Cromwell MK V.

I’d like to see it for both France and the UK.

1 Like

+1 for the UK

+1 reskin as a premium should be a no brainer. If 7th Armoured was the only operator then it could be skinned as them.

gib

Still no Chaffee I? We named the thing, owned almost 3-400 of them, and used them in combat.

Chaffee I at 3.7 would sit between SARC MkVI (3.3) and Concept 3 (4.0). It’s a little difficult to place in the current TT but it could potentially be foldered with the Sherman II as a lend-lease vehicle, or a Premium with 7th Armoured skin.

1 Like

Simply no need for it, -1

Why japan and china both got one, and the british operated more then the two of them put together?

Because both of those lack domestic alternatives at the same or similar BR. The UK has plenty of domestic light tanks (including commonwealth vehicles) already around that BR and more that could be added. It doesn’t need a copy-paste Chaffee.

name 5, because there is no other 75mm tanks slinging aphe

AEC Mk. III – 75mm, same as Cromwelll – should fire American ammunition (incl. APHE)
AEC Mk. II – 57mm (6 pdr.)
AEC Griffin – 57mm (6 pdr.)
Cromwell II Prototype – 57mm (6 pdr.)
Cavalier – 57mm (6 pdr.)
Staghound Mk. III – 57mm (6 pdr.)
Late War Crusader Mk. III – 57mm (6 pdr.) but with APDS (~180mm)
Coventry Mk. II – 75mm, same as Cromwelll – should fire American ammunition (incl. APHE)

literally nothing you have listed there fires APHE (I should know i suggested a lot of them), as gaijin has explicitly made it a rule that british tanks dont get aphe for the 75mm an 6 pounder, due to the doctrine of removing the filler. And the ones that have a 75mm are not tracked light tanks

Would the Chaffee I use M61 APHE then, or M61 without filler? At RB 3.3 it would conflict with Cromwell V, but as a 3.7 Scout it would have a role.

That’s incorrect. There’s tons of historical documents showing they did in fact use it, it’s been bug reported several times. Gaijin’s reason for not adding it is purely game balance. Which is strange considering you can simply adjust their BR’s.

The British only removed the filler from early M61 ammo due to reliability issues. Once those issues were resolved they used both. As they had existing stockpiles of inert M61 and were constantly receiving new M61 APHE from the Americans.

The British never removed filler from the 6-Pdr M86 ammo. Though they were less reliant on imported ammunition for them. They did however use the ammunition later in the war.

4 Likes

Aye its been bug reported but gaijin seems set on it for balance reasons as its high pen aphe,