M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness): The U.S. Army’s Last M1A1

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States_svg.png. M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness): The U.S. Army’s Last M1A1

main-qimg-4d4cec88f28e09aea2b37ad7267321

U.S. Army M1A1 Situational Awareness Main Battle Tank.

• Summary:
    • This suggestion is for the implementation of the M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness) Abrams which is the most recent upgrade to the M1A1 Abrams used within the U.S. Army.
  • Description :
    • The M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness), also known as the M1A1 AIM v.2, is the most recent variant of the M1A1 Abrams fielded by the United States Army. Introduced in August of 2006 by General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLS) during an order for 155x vehicles, it was part of the Abrams Tank Upgrade Program (which also introduced the M1A2 SEPv2 and SEPv3 upgrades), was designed to bring older M1A1 models to current “zero-hour” fighting condition. This includes new features such as HAP-3/3rd-generation depleted uranium armor (the same found on the M1A2 SEP/SEPv2), the 2nd-generation FLIR GPS-LOS for the Gunner and Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS) w/ the 2nd-generation Thermal Sight Module (TSM) for the Commander, Blue Force Tracking Sensor, Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2), new NBC protection system, suspension upgrades to handle the new equipment/armor, Total InteGrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) engine and improved transmission modifications, Pulse Jet monitoring systems for the engine, Artemis 2kW EAPU, as well as retaining the ability like other Abrams tanks to equip the TUSK I armor package, more specially the ARAT-I ERA. Another factor is the digitalized fire control system, which is a major upgrade over older generations of the M1 Abrams. Other upgrades are listed below. It is worth noting that the Abrams Tank Upgrade Program (specifically for the SA) takes the upgrades from the original AIM program and builds off of it, with many features of the original AIM program being utilized with the M1A1 SA, in-addition to other upgrades like the DVE-A, SCWS, HAP-3, etc. The M1A1 SA has seen deployment in Iraq by both U.S. and Iraqi forces during the late stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The M1A1 SA is due to be phased out by the end of the 20’s due to divestment and the introduction of the M1A2 SEPv3, and next-generation tank programs however, it will be still in use by National Guard forces. The Army, through GDLS and other government contractors, has been removing the DU armor packages and replacing them with export (FMS) armor in preparation for future export. Countries such as Egypt, Morocco, Ukraine, and Iraq currently field ex-US Army M1A1’s that have been modified to the SA-level with FMS (Foreign Military Sales) armor which lacks the DU-inserts. The U.S. Government allows countries to purchase specific equipment for there SA’s to meet the needs of there nation. An example of this is the Australian Army’s hybrid M1A1 Abrams, known sometimes as the M1A1 AIM SA, which features upgrades from the Abrams Integrated Management (AIM) Program, Abrams Tank Upgrade Program, and the USMC’s Firepower Enhancement Program (FEP).
  • The M1A1 SA takes the upgrades of the AIM program, builds off of it, using most of its features as well taking it further. Below displays the M1A1 AIM’s enhancements as well the M1A1 SA’s:
    • M1A1 AIM:
      • 2nd-generation FLIR, Gunner’s Primary Sight-Line of Sight w/ Far Target Sensors.
      • HAP-1, 1st-generation DU Armor.
      • Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2).
      • Blue Force Tracking Sensors.
      • Artemis 2kW EAPU.
      • Enhanced Communication Gear for the Crew.
      • Tank-Infantry Phone for mechanized infantry-tank crew communication.
      • Digital Electronics Control Unit.
      • Tank Urban Survival Kit component capability such as ARAT-I ERA blocks.
      • Pulse Jet Air System.
      • Battlefield Management Override.
      • Revised Turret Network Box.
      • PROSE Engine.
      • Digital Vehicle Intercom System.
      • Driver’s Hatch Interlock.
      • Fording Kit Mods.
      • Eye Safe Laser Rangefinder.
      • EPLRS Antenna.
      • Upgraded Tank Commander’s Panel.
      • Mine Plow Junction Box.
    • M1A1 SA:
      • All of the M1A1 AIM’s Upgrades listed above w/ the exception of the HAP-2.
      • Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS).
      • .50cal Thermal Sight w/ Thermal Receiving Unit (TCU), 2nd-generation Thermal Sight Module (TSM) for the SCWS, providing the Commander an independent thermal sight but lacks the Hunter-Killer capability.
        • Camera is mounted on a modified equilibrator bracket.
        • Uses remotely-focused Raytheon uncooled microbolometer FPA.
        • Display Control Module (DCM), provides sighting for the SCWS/TSM.
        • 2x-6x Zoom Capability.
      • HAP-3, 3rd-generation DU Armor.
      • Total InteGrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) engine and improved transmission modifications.
      • Reinforced suspension due to new equipment/armor modifications, Improved Suspension System (ISS).
      • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield.
      • Drivers Visual Enhancer-Abrams (DVE-A), thermal viewer.

• Armament:
    • Main Weapon: 120 mm M256 L/44 Smoothbore Gun (w/ 40rds)
      • Rounds:
        • M829A3 APFSDS-T
        • M830 HEAT-T
        • M830A1 HEAT-MP-T
        • M908 HE-ORT
        • M1028 Cannister
      • Depression/Elevation: -10°/20°
    • Additional Weapons:
      • Commander: 12.7mm M2HB Heavy Machine Gun
      • Loader: 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
      • Coaxial: 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine: 1,500hp Lycoming Textron AGT1500C Gas Turbine Engine
    • Transmission: Allison DDA X-1100-3C (8-forward, 4-reverse)
    • Chassis: High-hardness-steel Torsion Bars w/ Rotary Shock Absorbers
    • Max Speed: 67km/h
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 7.93m (9.77m w/ Gun Forward)
    • Width: 3.7m
    • Height: 2.4m
    • Weight: 67.6t
  • Crew (4x):
    • Commander
    • Driver
    • Gunner
    • Loader
  • Features:
    • 3rd-generation Depleted Uranium Armor inserts (HAP-3).
      • Capable of stopping most Kinetic Energy rounds currently in-game.
    • 2x 6-Barrel Smoke Grenade Launchers
    • ESS
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • Optics (Block I FLIR for Gunner):
      • Driver: DVE -A AN/VAS-5B(V)4, thermal imager.
      • Gunner: Raytheon Gunner’s Primary Sight-Line of Sight (GPS-LOS) (2nd-generation Thermal Imager)
      • Commander: Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station w/ TSM (2nd-generation Thermal Imager)
    • Optional Tusk I Package (options are not applied to all vehicles, variations in levels of TUSK equipment may occur due to mission requirements):
      • M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles (ARAT)
        • Covers the hull sides in Reactive armor tiles that provides a minimum of 260mm protection against HEAT rounds, unknown real values which are expected to be much higher.
      • Remote Controlled M2HB
        • Additional 12.7mm M2HB placed over the main gun for a total of 4 Machine Guns (2x 12.7mm Machine Guns & 2x 7.62mm Machine Guns).
      • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield
        • Protection shield around the M240C to protect the loader against small arms fire.
      • Engine Compartment SLAT Armor
        • Covers the engine compartment to protect against HEAT rounds and explosives.
  • Reason for Implementation:
    • The addition of the M1A1 SA Abrams would provide the U.S. tree a top tier Abrams that is separated from the standard M1A2 SEPv-line (following the M1A1 HC). The M1A1 SA provides almost all the same capabilities of the M1A2 SEP, including 3rd-generation DU armor, Commander’s thermals from the 2nd-generation Thermal Sight Module on the SCWS, and ARAT-I ERA. This vehicle will provide the U.S. tree capabilities to defeat most vehicles of other nations while being different from the venerable M1A2 Abrams. The M1A1 SA should have a Tier IV modification for M829A3 (when anti-ERA tips are modeled) and ARAT-I ERA, and Tier III modification for Gunner/Commander Thermals and the Laser Rangefinder.
    • If this vehicle cannot be added to the normal tech tree, removing the DU armor/TUSK I and providing it with export nations camouflages would give it Premium Vehicle potential in the future.
    • Recommended GRB Battle Rating: 11.7 (Rank VIII)

Imagery/Videos:

U.S. Army M1A1 SA’s:

Spoiler

IMG_0600IMG_0598IMG_0597
Evolution of the original AIM program prior to the introduction of the Situational Awareness-variant.

https://youtu.be/L2EdlLYV6qs

Ohio National Guard video describing the M1A1 SA’s capabilities.

https://youtu.be/0sKxaLeY_EE

Video describing crew capabilities in the M1A1 SA.

https://youtu.be/r4_xj1gi4A4

U.S. Army M1A1 SA conducting exercises, 2nd Battalion, 69th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Georgia, October 20, 2018.

1000w_q95-1.jpg

U.S. Army M1A1 SA conducting maneuvers.

M1A1_SA_Situational_Awareness_main_battl

Ohio National Guard M1A1 SA.

658857026_StabilizedCommandersWeaponSigh

Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station. Note: It is equipped with a 1st generation Thermal Imager.

Ohio National Guard M1A1 SA conducting exercises.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2018.04.09-19

U.S. Army M1A1 SA during maneuvers.

4265114.jpg

U.S. Army M1A1 SA firing its main gun.

X_19_Abrams_Reactive_Armor_w-box_silo-80

M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tile of the TUSK I.

mogsae1rdwv31.png

An M1A1 SA equipped with elements of the TUSK I package.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuaRFz2qTv9mV23bcpWQw

An M1A1 AIM equipped with TUSK I w/ Mounted 12.7mm MG on the barrel for reference.

TUSK_00.jpg

For reference, an M1A2 SEPv2 equipped with the TUSK I package. Note: The M1A1 SA cannot equip the CROWS II Remote Weapon System.

Abrams(rear)_en.jpg

The rear slat armor, part of the Abrams TUSK package.

A briefing for the SCWS, which both the M1A1 SA and USMC M1A1 FEP utilize.

International M1A1 SA’s:

Spoiler

Side view of the Australian M1A1 SA.

1158_11.jpg

Frontal view of the Australian M1A1 SA.

Export M1A1 SA during exercises.

Australian M1A1 SA front-quarter view.

dieu-hoa-xe-tang-abrams-co-thoai-mai-nhu

Rear view of the Australian M1A1 SA.

DZ33NJrX0AAf6wL.jpg

A Moroccan M1A1 SA. Note: The DU armor has been removed.

FANqdhHVkAwroEI.jpg.f48cc528e6e288f693c7

Moroccan M1A1 SA’s in formation courtesy of @Brahimbs92@psn.

0uil4l95vx671.jpg.f85ef1cf95ca623f151621

Moroccan M1A1 SA frontal view courtesy of @Brahimbs92@psn.

47797773881_b2aec32f6b_o.jpg.a0e5e0f39f3

Moroccan M1A1 SA conducting maneuvers courtesy of @Brahimbs92@psn.

wm004-4-1024x792.jpg

An image of an Iraqi M1A1 SA.

A Ukrainian M1A1 SA.

IMG_0588
Commander’s Station in a M1A1 SA.

• Please see the precursor to the M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness), the M1A1 AIM (Abrams Integrated Management), here:
3 Likes

Completed some minor updates.

They should add this as a tech tree vehicle after the M1A1 HC

1 Like

Minor updates.

• Bonus images of a U.S. Army M1A1 SA in Fort Stewart firing its main gun in 2018 during training and a modified UA M1A1 SA-UKR equipped with Kontact-1 ERA on the LFP/UFP and ARAT-I ERA on the sides.

Rather then TT or premium this feels like it could be event or alternative squadron vehicle tho i admit it would be better to give US a different squadron in near top tier like a light tank option or something like the M6 linebacker to mix things up

Is the current AIM not already a mashup of this?

Yeah, the Australian variant combines aspects of both the AIM and SA but lacks the 3rd-generation DU (they have FMS Export Armor) and ammunition like the M829A2/M829A3. I think the SCWS on the in-game M1A1 AIM (ADF) is also missing its thermals (not entirely sure if they had the TSM installed) but if not, the M1A1 SA’s Commander would also have access to thermals unlike all other M1A1’s (with the exception of the FEP). The M1A1 SA is the Army’s latest and last variant of the M1A1 before fully embracing the M1A2. The one thing that they both should have is access to for sure is the ARAT-I ERA on its sides since Australia had purchased it.

1 Like

Quite sure the armor package on the Aussie AIM is claimed to be equivalent (if not better) than HAP-3.
As for ammo, KE-WA2 would be greatly appreciated.

I’m surprised the M1A1 AIM in-game doesn’t use the SCWS as an auxiliary optic… Kinda annoying that it doesn’t.

That would be a great addition as well.

1 Like

I’ve heard mixed things about it tbh, I’m not entirely sure. Personally I would think the 3rd-generation DU/HAP-3 would be superior just based on properties of Uranium itself but then again, composite itself has came an long way and I’m not too familiar with FMS Armor composition. Either way, both should be solid armor.

I’m pretty sure the M1A1 AIM (ADF) has the 2nd-generation TSM installed so it should be a “CITV” but cannot slew the gun. It would be ideal for SIM.

Well, seeing as DU isn’t quite as efficient per its volume when compared to tungsten (a quite abundant material in EAP models), I’d imagine it would be slightly worse. There may be some secondary circumstances that can give it advantages, but the way I see it it’s marginally worse for a FAR lower cost.

I don’t even think it has the CITV option. I’ve mainly been playing 11.0 though, not 11.3, so for the last few dozen matches I haven’t touched it.
I’ll check whether it has it or not, or you can if you have the free time. To my remembrance the commander has no optic whatsoever.

1 Like

Yeah in-game there isn’t any sight for the Commander. I think there was a bug report put in because it definitely has a sight.

One thing I want to note is that this isn’t the most recent model of M1A1 overall. That title would be reserved for the USMC’s M1A1 FEP which is superior because it has AIDATS, allowing Hunter-Killer capability for the Commander through its SCWS. This is the Army’s last variant of M1A1, which does share most of the same characteristics of the M1A1 FEP minus this capability, Trophy Hard-kill APS, and a few others. The M1A1 line in-game should look like:

• M60 120S (10.0/Rank VII)
  • M1A1 HA (11.0/Rank VII)
  • M1A1 HC & M1A1 AIM (11.3/Rank VII)
  • M1A1 SA & M1A1 FEP (11.7/Rank VIII)
    The HC/AIM and SA/FEP are foldered together, w/ the FEP being the pinnacle (w/ or w/o the Trophy Hardkill APS). Note, the M1A1 FEP does utilize HAP-2 while the M1A1 SA utilizes HAP-3 but can fire rounds like the DM11, known in US use as the MPHE round.

Also updated the suggestion to better reflect the AIM/Abrams Tank Upgrade Programs. This can be seen here as well:

• M1A1 AIM:
    • 2nd-generation FLIR, Gunner’s Primary Sight-Line of Sight w/ Far Target Sensors.
    • HAP-1, 1st-generation DU Armor.
    • Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2).
    • Blue Force Tracking Sensors.
    • Artemis 2kW EAPU.
    • Enhanced Communication Gear for the Crew.
    • Tank-Infantry Phone for mechanized infantry-tank crew communication.
    • Digital Electronics Control Unit.
    • Tank Urban Survival Kit component capability such as ARAT-I ERA blocks.
    • Pulse Jet Air System.
    • Battlefield Management Override.
    • Revised Turret Network Box.
    • PROSE Engine.
    • Digital Vehicle Intercom System.
    • Driver’s Hatch Interlock.
    • Fording Kit Mods.
    • Eye Safe Laser Rangefinder.
    • EPLRS Antenna.
    • Upgraded Tank Commander’s Panel.
    • Mine Plow Junction Box.
  • M1A1 SA:
    • All of the M1A1 AIM’s Upgrades listed above w/ the exception of the HAP-2.
    • Uncooled 2nd-generation Thermal Sight Module (TSM) for the SCWS, providing the Commander an independent thermal sight but lacks the Hunter-Killer capability.
      • Camera is mounted on a modified equilibrator bracket.
      • Uses remotely focused Raytheon uncooled microbolometer FPA.
      • 2x-6x Zoom capability.
      • More specifications will be provided upon further analysis.
    • Display Control Module (DCM), provides sighting for the SCWS/TSM.
    • HAP-3, 3rd-generation DU Armor.
    • Total InteGrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) engine and improved transmission modifications.
    • Reinforced suspension due to new equipment/armor modifications, Improved Suspension System (ISS).
    • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield.
    • M829A3 APFSDS-T round is the primary anti-tank round.
    • Driver’s Visual Enhancer-Abrams (DVE-A), thermal viewer.
      • Confirmed purchased via FY2010 Procurement Program.

Edit: Clarified weight to 67.6t based on US Army’s Weapon System Handbook 2018. Weight of the original M1A1 AIM was 68t, weight reduction has been a focus of this program as well but they should be about the same weight. Further updated information on the Thermal Sight Module thanks to those who posted here:

Will be updated as things are clarified.

2 Likes

Images of the U.S. Army’s M1A1 SA during exercises:

• A Gunnery video of the M1A1 SA from DVIDS.
  • Many of these units remain active in Calvary Units and National Guard units like in Ohio and Georgia.

Images of international users of the M1A1 SA:

• Of note, the international derivatives have differences in equipment depending on the needs of said country’s.

Royal Moroccan Army M1A1 SA’s.

M1A1 SA’s of the Iraqi Army.

Unique M1A1 SA’s in the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

Thanks for tuning in, please check out the earlier version of the vehicle, the M1A1 AIM, here:

More information on the TSM and likely my last update for it. The M1A1 SA’s Thermal Sight Module (TSM) for the Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS), the in-game Australian M1A1 AIM, and if the USMC’s M1A1 FEP comes, this applies too, uses an uncooled Raytheon 2nd-generation Thermal Sight with 2x-6x zoom capability. This would offer a major boost for overall situational awareness since players would have another sight to use (for the Commander) beyond the Gunner’s sight, specially in Sim. With this though, it does not have Hunter-Killer capability.

In-game currently, this should be applied to the M1A1 AIM (ADF) since it doesn’t have any Commander’s sight at all implemented.