M113A2 Ultra Mechanised Igla: Unique Combination

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

M113A2 Ultra Mechanised Igla: Unique Combination

M113A2_Ultra_Mechanised_Igla.jpg

A M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla IFU used by the Republic of Singapore Airforce (RSAF).

• Basic Description:
    • The M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla is a modification of the M113 APC fielded by the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) that has been fielded since the early 2000’s. The M113 APC itself has been in service with the Singaporean military for over 40 years. It has been upgraded and maintained, with several attempts to replace it including the Bionix vehicles. The original M113 was developed in the late 1950’s by the Food Machinery Corp (FMC), having a crew of 2, with the core focus being the transportation of personnel. In 2006, an upgraded variant produced by Singapore Technologies Kinectics (STK) was shown featuring an upgraded power pack and variable transmission. These were the 330hp Caterpillar 3126B Turbocharged Diesel Engine as well as the HMX1100 Automatic Variable Transmission.
    • The M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla features the standard chassis of the M113A2 APC that features the upgraded powerpack and transmission from STK. One of the main differences that separate this vehicle from other M113 variants is the unique surface-to-air missile system integrated into the vehicle. The M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla features a turret that is capable of firing 4 Soviet Igla surface-to-air missiles as well as being armed with a 7.62mm machine gun. There are two variants of the M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla, the Integrated Fire Unit (IFU) which houses an advanced Tracking RADAR and the Weapon Fire Unit (WFU) that is capable of receiving inputs from an IFU to engage targets. It also has optical sensors that can be used to track targets without the need of the RADAR. Air Defense is handled by the RSAF which is formed in platoons. A platoon consists of 1 IFU and 2 WFU. The WFU receives targeting data from the IFU prior to engaging. Both versions of the M113A2 Ultra Mechanized Igla are still in service today with the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF).
  • Specifications:
    • Role: SAM System
    • Origin:
      • Singapore
    • Armament:
      • Primary: 4x Igla Surface-to-Air Missiles w/ Integrated RADAR
        • Warhead: High Explosive Blast Fragmentation
        • Diameter: 72mm
        • Length: 1.57m
        • Range: 5.2km
        • Altitude: 3.5km
        • Guidance: IR
    • RADAR:
      • 14km Detection Range
      • 5km Engagement Range
    • Coaxial: 7.62x51mm FN MAG Machine Gun
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 4.8m
    • Width: 2.7m
    • Height: ?m
    • Weight: 13t
  • Mobility:
    • Engine: 330hp - Caterpillar 3126B 4-stroke 6-cyl Turbocharged Diesel Engine
    • Max Speed: 75km/h
    • Transmission: HMX1100 Automatic Variable Transmission
    • Suspension: Torsion Bar Suspension
  • Crew:
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Driver
  • Modifications:
    • Thermal Imager(s):
      • User(s):
        • Gunner
    • Night Vision Device(s):
      • User(s):
        • Driver
        • Commander
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • 6x 76mm Smoke Grenades
  • In-game:
    • A very unique combination of Eastern and Western technology, the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) would be a very unique add to the game. This vehicle has armor similar to other M113 versions and can engage air targets by itself similarly to the French SANTAL that is in game.
    • With it’s capabilities, it would best be suited around battle rating 9.3-9.7 (realistic).
  • Sources:
  • Imagery:
Spoiler

asg50-006.JPG

A series of M113A2 Mechanised Igla’s in formation. Note the first one is the IFU version while the other two are WFU versions.

gnlbN7E29Z53g3u2KhIc-_Fj-aN9CP7CZEM7nxX4

118427163_1489979677860927_8539802660835

Closer views of the M113A2 Mechanised Igla IFU and WFU versions. Note the coaxial machine gun.

Mechanised_Igla_soha.vn_8-29a60.jpg Mechanised_Igla_soha.vn_7-29a60.jpg

Mechanised_Igla_soha.vn_9-29a60.jpg Mechanised_Igla_soha.vn_5-29a60.jpg

Mechanised_Igla_soha.vn_6-29a60.jpg

Closer inspection of the Igla launchers and RADAR

1 Like

Should put it in Israel tree (clueless)

No,It should be on a japanese sub-tech tree.

2 Likes

Based on Gaijin’s practices lately I wouldn’t doubt us seeing these nations implemented with Japan at this point

1 Like

I’m all for it being in the Japanese tree, despite Israel being a more suited candidate.

Bit of a necro I suppose but I’d like to see it under Israel as well I suppose, or perhaps USA given that the chassis itself is American. (I really don’t support the entire idea of national subtrees, just put vehicles where they would fit nicely in a thematic sense)

On another note, really hope to see this vehicle in the game at some point.

@Yontzee On the right side of the image is a 7.62 my guess is a M249 or a M240 GPMG.
You did mention although didn’t have an idea which MG it was.

1 Like

It’s an FN MAG variant, which the M240 is.

3 Likes

I understand that the launchers represent a maximum of 4 Iglas, but is there a possibility that more are carried within the hull? I would find it hard to believe the entire hull isn’t used to carry more Iglas since most of the space for infantry has now been freed up

There is the possibility, however details are scarce and the vehicles have since been decommissioned to find out about it.

1 Like