KNDS EMBT (2022) - The Futuristic Leclerc for Europe

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

KNDS EMBT (2022) - The Futuristic Leclerc for Europe

Discover_EMBT_future_concept_of_Enhanced_Main_Battle_Tank_jointly_developed_by_France_and_Germany_925_001

Hi and welcome to my 23th suggestion, which is about the EMBT from 2022, hope you like it. :popcorn:

Disclaimer: This suggestions exists twice (France and Germany), as we are not allowed to tag two Nations in one Suggestion.

First of all:

• This is a suggestion for a Vehicle we could see in game at some point in the Future , that doesn´t mean next Patch or somewhere in the near Future
  • Feel free to share more Information and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here

Basic Background

At the Eurosatory 2018, KNDS showcased the Euro Main Battle Tank (EMBT), a technological concept based on a Leopard 2A7V chassis and the turret of the Leclerc tank. This display signaled the intention to replace both the Leopard 2 and Leclerc tanks with a new unified Euro tank. Following this, in June 2018, the Defense Ministers of Germany (Ursula von der Leyen) and France (Florence Parly) signed an agreement for arms cooperation on the Main Ground Combat System (MGCS), with a formal joint agreement signed in April 2020. The MGCS project involves a 50-50 cost-sharing arrangement between Germany and France, with German leadership in development. An initial two-year study phase was initiated.
To facilitate the project, a working group called ARGE, comprising KMW, Nexter, and Rheinmetall, was established in 2019 under German law. This group embarked on an 18-month project, called the System Architecture Definition Study - Part 1 (SADS Part 1), aimed at creating an initial architecture study. The goal of these efforts is expected to result in an overall system demonstrator between 2024 and 2028.
KNDS introduced a new vastly improved EMBT, unveiled on Eurostory 2022.

The EMBT (2022) Overall

The Enhanced Main Battle Tank (EMBT) (2022) is a collaborative endeavor between two prominent tank developers: France’s Nexter and Germany’s KMW. They aim to create a standardized tank, also named the European Main Battle Tank (EMBT), for their respective countries and possibly for other European allies. This collaborative effort draws parallels to a previous attempt in the 1960s to create a joint tank, which ultimately resulted in the successful AMX 30 and Leopard 1 tanks after France and Germany pursued separate projects.
The previous EMBT introduced in 2018, has undergone significant advancements. It was a fusion of the Leopard 2A7V chassis and the Leclerc S2 turret, somewhat of a hybrid tank. However, the 2022 EMBT model unveiled at EuroSatory features an entirely new turret design. While trading some armor thickness for advanced active and passive protection technologies, the tank benefits from additional protection on the frontal arc of the Leopard 2A7V chassis. The enhancements include the Trophy active protection system (APS), real-time communication with UAVs, sound detection capabilities, an armed commander’s sight, a supplementary 30mm turret, and various other advanced features aimed at improving protection and firepower. The EMBT was recently unveiled at Eurosatory and is planned to potentially receive larger caliber main guns in the future.

Though not explicitly mentioned, the main gun is likely similar the CN-120 F1 found in the Leclerc MBT. This assumption is based on its description as a NATO 120mm L/52 gun, consistent with the CN-120 F1. With work on the hull by KMW and the turret by Nexter, the French origin of the main gun seems likely. The gun offers solid performance with a variety of ammunition, boasting a fully automatic loading system akin to that of the Leclerc.
Additiopnally, the EMBT features a 12.7mm coaxial machine gun with 680 rounds for infantry engagement in urban conditions. The commander’s sight includes a 7.62mm LMG with 800 rounds, enhancing close-quarters defense. An innovative addition to the tanks is the remote-controlled ARX30 30mm auto-cannon turret mounted on the main turret. Armed with 150 rounds, this turret enables engagement of low-flying aircraft, lightly armored vehicles, and elevated infantry positions common in urban combat scenarios.

Although the EMBT sacrifices some mobility due to its increased weight compared to the Leclerc, its 1500 hp engine maintains a respectable power-to-weight ratio. With a top speed of 65 km/h and weighing 61.5 tonnes, the EMBT’s mobility remains competitive in the MBT category. It exhibits a power/weight ratio of 24.39, ensuring satisfactory performance despite its weight increase.
The EMBT’s crew consists of four members: two in the hull (driver and system operator) and two in the turret (commander and gunner). As the EMBT’s development progresses, future stages may introduce larger main guns and other enhancements.

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:
[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]
[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Links

Eurosatory 2024: The Global Event for Defence and Security

https://blog.challenges.fr/supersonique/defense/eurosatory-les-nouveaux-blindes-en-images/

Eurosatory: le blindé du futur sera franco-allemand

http://resistancerepublicaine.eu/2018/09/01/le-leoclerc-futur-char-franco-allemand-ou-la-fin-de-lindustrie-francaise-de-larmement/

L'Italie s'intéresse au futur char franco-allemand

https://fr.sputniknews.com/defense/201806121036761314-france-allemagne-blinde/

Nexter et KMW présentent l'Euro Main Battle Tank, le premier char de combat franco-allemand - Zone Militaire

Janes | Latest defence and security news

10 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1 also i think your poll is broken

1 Like
  • 1 and the pole is broken XD
1 Like

Poll fixed and who ever approved this suggestion; I was told by @leroyonly to C&P it as we are not allowed to tag two nations in one suggestion.
This one is for France, the other one for germany.

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

could you also link the one for germany here?

Not approved yet, I will link it in the OP once this is cleared.

2 Likes

on average how long does it take for suggestions to get approved in your experience?

One day to one week, one and a half at worse.

huh, and thats considering singular vehicles right?
cuz i have one waiting from 15th and then one from the 7th but thats a whole tree so…😶

In this case you can name this subject “KMW & Nexter EMBT (2022) - The Futuristic Leclerc for Europe” to show the difference. 👍

I’ve never made a TT suggestion, its possible that these take longer. You should also take into account that we just moved to this new “Forum” and many users are taking their Suggestions from the old Forum over to this one.

fair point…

German one approved and linked.

1 Like

Oh, I found this.
Yes please.

There’s no words to describe what I would do to have this in game. I need it.