Kings of Battle - Rumor Round-Up and Discussion (Part 1)

The Mig-29 should still be a very close contender with the F-16 in terms of flight performance, however after this update, even the normal Mig-29’s have taken a significant prefromance hit, and seem too be preforming far below what would be expected of them IRL. The SMT is heavier, and we expect it too take a prefromance hit for this sure, but being on par or even worse than an F-4E should probably be a tale tale sign that something is wrong here, as at the end if the day it is still a Mig 29, and Should still have very capable flight preferences.

1 Like

it is early morning in europe, it will need a few hours until we see sth

I fly it like the tomcat and only get into knife fights if I am forced. The jet has the best most unique IR missiles. R27 and the R72. Not only that they get an almost infinite range HMS IR sight (can detect further than the actual IRST).

To top it off we get a better radar and the best hypersonic capable SARH in game.

The jet is more than capable of clearing out whole teams alone and still dogfight with 2x giant 317kg missiles hanging from each wing.

1 Like

I think the term your looking for is a multi role fighter with extra fuel capacity. It’s a simple modernization to keep the Mig-29 more up too specs in the same manner the F-16C is an F-16 with more teeth but also a bit heavier. There still absolutely meant too be fighters

1 Like

i wouldnt say close contender to F-16, russian aviation is worse then western ones purely as a result of the opposite doctrines, western doctrine is way more focused on aviation while russians gave up against nato air superiority and as a result focused more on SPAAS, that is the whole reason as well why other nations dont have a pantsir equivalent because they focused on using other planes to intercept russians fighter, which just doesnt translate well into the game because of the spawn costs.
As a matter of fact and result, russian aircraft are just worse and dont need to compete with western ones

It is close, it has a smaller turn radius than the F16, but rate fighting is not the strong suit. I think its missing thrust though.
It’s the high alpha, cash energy in for immediate nose authority to get nose on first.

It is Soviet doctrine. “He who gets nose on first.” They even developed the HMS and high off boresight capability in the R73 to assist further in this doctrine.

They also were designed to have the thrust to recover quickly from these tactics (I do not think energy recovery is as good as it should be either)

The Mig29 initially went into service with a 80 nautical mile combat radius. That is tiny. However, they are Frontal Aviation assets and not designed to be out there long. They are designed to fly up, quickly get nose on, kill whoever and come back down and do it again. They are purely point defense fighters.

1 Like

Your argument is focusing way too much on doctrine over the actual hard facts of the aircraft in question. You can criticize Russian/Soviet doctrine all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that the Mig-29 is well known as a fantastic plane with great flight performance, and is easily an F-16’s pier. I understand that a lot of people love the F-16, and for good reason its an amazing plane, but dismissing the Mig-29 because “Russian planes bad” isn’t an argument. By all accounts and data the Mig-29 should be able too keep up with the F-16 yet somehow now in war thunder we have a much larger prefromance gap between the two planes where phantoms can beat Fulcrums, and I can’t help but be suspicious when seem too think this is a totally responsible outcome.

4 Likes

i am not saying that russian aircraft are plain bad, just saying f 16 is better, i dont even have the f16 and am not realy intrested in it either, i fly the mig 29 in the game without problems. The standard Mig 29 can keep up with the F 16s and the Mig 29 SMT has its reasons why it flys worse and those are supposed as they are. Mig 29 SMT flying worse is just a possible results of what happens if you change a an fighter to an Multirole fighter which it originaly wanst supposed to be

1 Like

that’s fair and all, but i’m pretty sure a f16 is better in the one circle anyway. I really have to work hard in my m2k to beat a f16A in a one circle (which shouldn’t really be the case).
it can pull some bs maneuver at the beginning of the fight, get on your 6 and then nothing you can do. I’ve seen up to 14G being pulled, no other aircraft can pull that amount.

I’m pretty sure the f16 is quite overperforming atm, probably due to the AoA limitation they removed on this aircraft only (for some reason)

1 Like

In game I think it’s important to use the simple fact that the F-4E can easily keep up with and best a Mig-29 as an indicator that the current flight model is widely off. By all accounts, in a fair fight a MiG-29 and F-16 fight should come down too skill over all, and yet currently in game the F-16 easily wiped the floor, and all thanks too the recent changes too the Migs flight model. The Mig -29 shouldn’t dominate the F-16, but it shouldn’t be a guaranteed loss either. That my main point here

4 Likes

That is true but the F4E is overperforming. (A remnant from its days against the MLD).

There is no way in hell it has the quick snap nose authority as it does either.

It’s not fair and never will be. The F16 is a digitally designed airfoil supported by a Fly-by-wire supercomputer. No pilot’s brain can calculate the precise angle of attack to maintain the optimal airspeed in a dogfight.

Flying the F16 is literally cheating and many Israeli pilots (greatest supersonic ace of all time) even stated you are not flying the F-16. You are telling it what to do.

1 Like

Hopefully boat blog today.
By that I mean, any of the following:

-Any sub
-Any carrier
-Any seaplane tender
-Any long range missile destroyer
-Convair F2Y (test versions flew without weapons, production version was supposed to have weapons, just like the Yak 141)

1 Like

doubt it

october update is to small for a new carrier mechanic

eh no idea what that means

hopefuly at least not russians, they got their missle launcher last update

well seems intresting, but not sure if it is the first choice between all the missing US planes

1 Like

War Thunder has this for every aircraft if you enable mouse aim basically.

1 Like

Yes, but they are all different. GJ has emulated the FBW to the best of their ability and did a great job imo. That is why I can fly circles all day in the Blk 50 & stay G-locked and lose little speed. Placing the same artificial “hand holding” on the Mig29 would be wrong as it’s a fighter reliant solely on the pilot’s own skill and should be that way.

It’s just held back in areas already mentioned and why it does not perform where it should.

1 Like

Its really not. Players keep trying to rate fight a jet that was designed to not lose energy when GJ gave the Mig29 the best missiles, so they do not have to.

The M2K is supported by a great FBW but it cannot rate with the F16. Does really good though. It will always be hindered by its delta configuration. Dassault stuck with the delta as it has its benefits the F16 does not. Extremely aerodynamic and lighter not requiring an insanely high thrust heavy engine & amazing straight line speed performance. Also, higher alpha performance. But rate performance goes to the traditional winged tail design of the F16.

Oh, and delta winged fighters are physically stronger too. Longer service life.

1 Like

that would be good

or Gnat/Alpha jet

Whether they modeled FBW in or not, you still don’t fly the aircraft, you tell it what to do with mouse aim. It’s basically an auto pilot where you select heading and pitch with the input being your mouse rather than dial knobs on a regular autopilot.

Atleast, flying under auto pilot are valid flying hours but this is in relation to the Israeli pilot considering FBW “telling your aircraft what to do”.

Laat year there was an 10 year anniversary event with the Sturmtiger as prize. 11 year anniversary sounds a bit less spectacular but still, anyone expecting another event?