Kings of Battle - Rumor Round-Up and Discussion (Part 1)

Turns out the spin does more than accuracy

"So HEAT rounds are fin-stabilized because that is the best method of providing flight stability to the round while retaining the shaped charge’s best effectiveness. HEAT rounds do not like rotation because it could interfere with the jet of the shaped charge liner during the explosion, affecting its precision and therefore its penetration potential.[1]

Meanwhile, HESH rounds actually do like the rotation effect imparted by the rifling spin. The reason being, as stated by the Characterization of Explosive Weapons Research Project:[2]

When HESH ammunition is fired from a rifled barrel, spin imparted to the projectile helps ensure a predictable distribution of the plasticised explosive filler, and thus maximises its efficiency in the anti-tank role.

Or basically, the “spin” helps the round “squash” onto the target upon impact, which allows HESH to produce the best blast effect against fortification and even armor.[3]strong text"

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarCollege/comments/xbii41/comment/inzrrm2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Reddit I know, not the best source, but reasoning sounds sane

1 Like

im hitting my head agaist the desk trying to remember where i saw the info about it
update: found something
shot lenght 748mm, mass 7.8 kg
what i could find its that it uses an electric tube fuse to set it off and it gets a very heavy ammount of propellant, taking in count this chamber pressure should at least be above 800 taking in count the shell performance its almost identical to DM53/63, tho this could be aswell the penetrator being quite long tihs still makes it 800 or above tho i could easily be wrong it could be less than 800, but nonetheless the shell has a quite a lot of chamber pressure

I think Leopard 2A6EX DEMO II more possibility. PSO uses hull of it.

it is known the spin makes the squash head uuh well squash better into a target hence why of the wacky rifled barrel being “better” for the british

Yep, all shall fear british whackiness. I really want British bodge mods for the Aim9L on the Tornado Gr1.

https://old-forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/555284-british-weapon-system-discussion-from-1945-present-sources-photos-performance-etc/page/5/

You want flames long post a few comments in

I wish they gave Japan AAM-2 or 1 at least

3 Likes

There is a definite lack of unique missile types

2 Likes

You should see AAM 3 it’s basically a japanese IRIS but a bit older AAM-4 it’s a radar guided missile with a mini aesa radar in it kinda weird tbh

3 Likes

I’ve been asking for them since missiles became a thing. i’m not sure if im exaggerating but i think Japan is so far the only one without their domestic/homegrown missile modifications

3 Likes

You’re not wrong Japan is the only one with domestic missiles except for the type 91 and type 60 atm bit tbh type 60 it’s quite simple and type 91 is not correctly implemented since it’s not Even an IR guided missile it’s a óptical tracking with IR assistance

2 Likes

Oops I meant in the air to air category. pretty much everyone has their own domestic stuff or unique modifications if they had them. Like good or unique missiles like Aspide or Red Tops just as an example but Japan which has a decent history of domestic AAMs has yet to receive one is kind of a shame really.

3 Likes

Nothing for air to air sadly Japan is the only nation with no native air to air missile

4 Likes

I think stuff like MÁVAG Héja and Fiats with Hungarian mgs can be placed within existing lines just like Romanian S.M.79B.
Btw in the Italian discord Smin said about Romania that more vehicles is possible:

Spoiler

So I think my concept of Hungarian/Romanian stuff in the Italian TT seems to happen)
At first it would be nice to see vehicles like IAR-316B and Regele Ferdinand class (currently only represented as Letuchiy destroyer) reintroduced in the Italian TT.
Italian stuff should come as well though, just like Impetuoso this update and AV-8B+ (I just hope rumors about jet attackers planned for Italy were not about this one, but about smth like Aermacchi or AMX).

1 Like

Considering how much Gaijin loves to copy-paste, It’s really surprising they haven’t added either missile yet. The AAM-1 is just an AIM-9B but… heavier? and iirc a seeker that’s a tiny bit better? And the AAM-2 is an AIM-4 with a better seeker, proximity fuse, and maybe also a small body change I can’t remember. Giving it to the F-4EJ ADTW would make that jet unique and possibly also garner them more sales.
It’s be so easy for them to take the AIM-4 they’d have to make and slap it into the US and Swedish trees. (and also add a certain pair of currently missing jets that almost only used the AIM-4)

2 Likes

But at the cost of massively worse mobility.

1 Like

Ah yes revenge balancing, how typical. Like that has every helped a situation.

Like the AIM-9J on the F-4F? or R-27ER on the German MiG-29? Or the F-16AJ? YaK-141?

1 Like

🤡

“Wääähhh only ze major nations should be competitive.”

2 Likes

forgot R-60 on german MiG-29, they never were operated with them

3 Likes

I’m baffled how people still do not comprehend this.