JRVG-1 - Chinese Wheeled OTOMATIC

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

TL;DR: A 10x10 SPAAG, based on the ZBL-08, equipped with an automatic 76mm naval cannon.

DrJoD4cXcAAOXdR?format=jpg&name=medium

History:

The JRVG-1 is one of China’s newest wheeled SPAAG systems, seemingly intended for the export market, designed to be a middle ground between the short range dual 35mm systems and the long range SAM systems. The JRVG-1’s story begins with the Russian AK-176 automatic 76mm naval cannon, which entered service in 1979. The AK-176 was a medium caliber autocannon, designed for installation onto frigates and corvettes, with a maximum fire rate of 120rpm. China was intrigued by this weapon and began development on a domestic copy in 2000, being completed only three years later in 2003. This copy was designated PJ-26 and subsequently mounted onto the Type-054A class frigate and Type-056 class corvette. It wasn’t long before the system was adapted for use on a mobile land-based platform. In 2016, the SA-2 SPAAG was shown off at the Zhuhai Air Show. This SPAAG was based on a 6x6 truck and featured a significantly scaled down turret, which was equipped with a relatively simple photoelectric fire control system. No radar was installed, limiting the vehicle’s anti-air capabilities. This system was aimed primarily toward the export market, however, no buyers came forward. As such, work on an improved version began. The improved design was officially revealed at the 2018 Zhuhai Air Show under the name of JRVG-1. This new SPAAG featured an extraordinary 10x10 configuration and a new turret, which, while still significantly down-scaled from the original PJ-26 turret, was much larger and more conventional-looking. The hull of the JRVG-1 was based off a ZBL-08 hull, modified to include a fifth axle, however, due to the increased length and extra weight, the JRVG-1 did not inherit amphibious capabilities. When compared to the SA-2, the JRVG-1 is superior in every way except for profile size. The JRVG-1 has an improved photoelectric fire control system and is equipped with a large radar, allowing the vehicle to detect and track targets before quickly removing them with airburst rounds. As of yet, no customers have made themselves known.

Place In War Thunder:

Italy’s OTOMATIC is a very well known vehicle and a favorite among War Thunder’s Italian playerbase. Its high fire rate combined with its deadly rounds results in an incredibly dangerous vehicle. It also has zero direct in-game contemporaries. The JRVG-1 would not only add a direct analog to the OTOMATIC, it would also give China a competent high-tier dual-purpose gun SPAA. Playstyle would be relatively similar to the OTOMATIC’s. Depending on how you’re feeling or what is necessary, you can choose to either act as an SPAA or a tank hunter. That being said, the JRVG-1 does not have access to APFSDS, so shots would have to be taken with more caution. This decreased firepower is balanced out by superior mobility, allowing you to outpace many MBTs and appear in places where you aren’t expected. Your profile would be your greatest weakness, however, as it is very large and very distinct. Any player with thermals would likely be able to spot you if they even glance in your direction. Even though the JRVG-1 was designed for export, I believe the best implementation of the vehicle would be in the tech tree. It offers a unique playstyle and utility that shouldn’t be locked behind an event.

Specifications:

Armament: PJ26 automatic 76mm naval cannon

Dimensions: 8.00m, 3.00m, 3.20m (L,W,H) (Dimensions of the ZLT-11. This vehicle is much longer and taller.)

Weight: 26000kg (est.)

Armor: 12.7mm proof from the front and 7.62mm proof all-round

Crew: 3-4

Ammunition: Fragmentation and Airburst

Speed: 90~kph (est.)

Horsepower: 442hp

Pictures:

Left Side View:

18c761416e8f4b2dbefcf38f7.jpg

Right Side View:

b2237b190ddbbccf0fbe7959b.jpg

3/4th View:

201138dqvf5xz4af54pxpp.jpg

Gun Close-Up:

cc000a80b2272f69dc657bfe247893.jpg

Sources:

China Defense Blog: New PLAN Marine equipment of the day: 76mm naval gun on a 5x5 wheeled chassis

https://jmqmil-sina-cn.translate.goog/spider2/doc-ihnaivxp5108980.d.html?vt=4&_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

PJ26 76mm 10x10 SPAAG

SA2 76mm SPAAG

https://weaponsystems.net/system/553-76mm H/PJ26

18 Likes

As a fan of authentic Chinese vehicles, this gets a +1 from me! I want that camo too!

9 Likes

Looks cool! More indigenous Chinese designs, please. +1

6 Likes

Oh man thats huge, and blue, love it

9 Likes

+1 for this bus!

1 Like

I’m personally very torn on this vehicle. Yeah, it’s cool, but it essentially seems to just be a better OTOMATIC, which is one of Italy’s only unique top tier offerings. I can’t imagine it’s attracting anything but Italian military enthusiasts anyway, but the point stands - not everything needs a direct counterpart in my opinion. It’s good to have a little variety.

Would fit very well for china’s SPAA line +1

3 Likes

7caafxzurvsb1
Based on the official brochure, the 76mm gun has fire rate of 300 rpm.

7 Likes

if a nation designed it, it should get it!
+1 from me!

2 Likes

Thats an insane ROF. 5 rounds a second?!

I believe this is achieved by using a gattling gun design.

Not as a counterpart for the Otomatic, but as a genuine aa for China this is a definite yes!

2 Likes

Very cool vehicle, one of the most anticipated for me. Unfortunately there is little information about ammunition and gun performance of this vehicle, so judging from russian costal vessels with 76 or 57mm autocanons, it doesnt have AP rounds, only HE/HE-VT. This would limit its performance and could be 10,7 vehicle. On other hand, it is domestic produced version of russian gun, for ground use, so there is deffinetly posibility of development of some type of AP round, which would made it at the same level as OTOMATIC.

No need to worry, OTOMATIC has something this lacks: APFSDS. This thing just has fragmentation and airburst. OTO can hunt tanks; this thing is dedicated anti-air.

2 Likes

+1,We need this

Absolutely. Especially if we get that ostentatious camouflage to aggravate people’s eyes during battle.

1 Like

Luckly no apfsds means it can stay at a br where it can act as a wonderful SPAA without fighting top jets and mbts.

it could be 10.3/.7? tho the LD-35 would fit 10.7 better i feel

around 9.3 I think, longer range and better rader than M247.

2 Likes