Japanese F-14A - An alternate outcome of the 3rd F-X Program

+1 since variety for Japanese top tier and Japanese top tier planes are all american origin anyway.

2 Likes

Found some proof that this thing was used with the Idol defence force

10 Likes

crazy how sweden gets an entire tank, but the U.S Can’t get D.U Hulled for the sep model abrams.

1 Like

If people want an F-14A for japan but don’t want another Swedish T-80 U, I think the solution is simple!

Just give Japan an Iranian F-14A!

7 Likes

What connects Iran with Japan?
Overall this suggestion became kinda pointless after Gaijin added Thai upgraded F-5 to the Japanese tree because we will get Thai planes instead which is cool.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say “pointless,” as even with Thai aircraft, Japan’s top tier for the foreseeable future would remain limited to mainly F-16 variants and the F-2 (and the F-15J, of course). That said, others have theorized we’re not just getting a Thai sub tree but maybe an entire SEA-Sub tree, that alone could open up the door to quite a lot of other aircraft that could benefit Japan greatly

1 Like

That doesn’t sound limited to me at all. I would be fine with Thailand only being added but Gaijin does what Gaijin wants

1 Like

To be fair Thailand alone would still leave the tree leagues behind US/USSR, so to bring them up to comparable levels more nations are reasonable.

Keep in mind vehicle variety is very limited when most are variants of the same plane, and the tree might not be as appealing when lacking unique options. More nations would allow for higher variety, and a bigger focus on vehicles that aren’t just the same as X other tree.

Unless of course you meant that Thailand along with others isn’t limited, which I agree with. Thailand can be combined with Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, which would then make the tree roughly comparable in potential to France (with BeNeLux) and just behind Britain (with South Africa and India).
At that point I feel most notable holes and gaps would be taken care of too.

3 Likes

Every tree is going to have less stuff than USA and USSR. That’s just how it goes.

2 Likes

Right, but to make all trees equally interesting to players they need to be at least close, smaller nations make up for that using subtrees, as seen with Britain, Sweden, Italy and France before.

So I don’t doubt that Japan will get theirs as well, specifically a combined South East Asian subtree including Thailand and an unknown selection of other nations.
Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore would be my guess/hope for the others since that would put the trees potential at roughly the current French tree level, which seems adequate, even if it’s still noticeably less than US/GER/USSR/GB. It’d also allow for Gaijin to focus more on unique vehicles rather than simply copying existing ones.

Spoiler

There also seems to be a precedent for somewhat regional/combined subtrees in general now, with Britain getting (some, not all) commonwealth nations, Sweden getting nordic nations and France BeNeLux.

1 Like

Indonesia alone would bring a lot to the table, top tier-wise. They have a bunch of F-16 variants and stuff like the T-5 Golden Eagle, Su-27, Su-30, Rafale, etc. Thailand, meanwhile, has the JAS 39 and more F-16 variants. Honestly, if/when we get SEA, Japan stands a pretty good chance of being a pretty competitive nation at top-tier, and that’s not even counting the stuff from other nations. I think that might be a bit of a better solution than adding the F-14A in the long run tbh

4 Likes

Top Tier Air will always be problematic. It’s a shame that Gaijin skipped so many jet planes just to get the new stuff

4 Likes

I think it would be fun. Not to mention, there is a good chance the AAMs ( Fakour-90 to be precise ) are running on stolen Toshiba chips. So clearly, it should go to Japan. ( Please, I just want to be able to play my main nation while obliterating people with HAWKs )

1 Like

Large doses of copium.

4 Likes

That still puts Japan at a much better placing than some other countries though, as Japan now has access to F-16s and Gripen, in addition to the F-2 and F-15. That still leaves more options than Germany, Israel and Italy have for the immediate future.

But not every nation is going to be the US or USSR, that’s just nonsensical. Not even larger trees like the UK or France could match them, even with subtrees included. That being said I am not a big fan of the additions of India and BeNeLux to the game as subtrees, as they have their own unique potential. Thailand does not, but it has more than enough to plug Japan’s gaps. Malaysia could be another option, but it would mean more filler really, as the only “unique” vehicles they have are the Su-30MKI and CL-41G.

1 Like

Both nations that will likely receive their own fair share of subtree contents.
It’s never “X nation is bad, so Y should stay bad”, but all nations should be brought up to a standard where none are bad.

And I never said that, the subtrees bring they closer to a point where they are competetive and have enough to offer to be worth picking over other nations if you are interested in the nation.

Britain and France (with their subtrees) are actually my example for the amount of potential a tree should have, since that seems to be where they are trying to get the minor nations. This is actually rather close to what major nations offer individually and seems like a reasonable goal.

I’d say there is actually some rather unique Thai equipment, same for all of the nations I mentioned.

The main reason I even suggested that many nations (apart from the leak suggesting more and their individually low potential compared to other subtree nations like India) is that with more nations you are less reliant on picking copied vehicles for everything and can focus more on interesting and unique variants and designs.

This just seems more appealing than stretching the tree with 10 minor variations of the Thai F-16A

1 Like

I didn’t mean to say that Thailand does not have unique equipment, rather, that they don’t have enough equipment to make a tech tree and keep it alive, whereas BeNeLux and India do for the most part. Which is why the latter two shouldn’t have been introduced as subtrees, but why Thailand is a good candidate for Japan. I’m just not a huge fan of putting tons of subtrees into a single tree coming from experience with the UK, Japan might benefit more, and probably needed a subtree more than the UK did with ZA.

3 Likes

Malaysia usea the Su-30MKM (M stands for Malaysia. Shocking I know)

My bad

While it’s nice to see constructive (and calm) discussions, this may not be the best place to talk about a possible SEA Sub-TT for Japan.

4 Likes