Is it true that I severe damage an aircraft and it won't count as a kill?

Engine fire IS NOT a severe damage even now. Poul already exaplained that to you.

IF the fire lasts long enough, then it can cause a severe damage. In the old system you were assigned a “plane burnt down” kill (for 100% of the score) instead of the severe damage. The new system actually INCREASE the chance of kill stealing.

1 Like

It has counted as severe damage every time i have done it. The old system would give a crit and then an assist once a teammate took the kill before they burnt down.

dude, it’s not an opinion: as also other people told you before, fire mechanic did not change. If it was a crit before, it is a crit now. If it was a kill before, now it is a sever damage and people can still steal you 20% of the score. Believe it or not.

All i know is that i catch a plane on fire and the “severe damage” text appears.

Even some minor damage is labeled as severe. I had a missile barely touch a plane and cause no major flight perfomance damage yet still got severe damage.

“All you know” is clearly biased then.

And for no reason at all, as you’re the one of the many pleople getting less score than before.

And? My experience has been better so why would I complain?

I usually play where I put an enemy in a “certain death” situation then disengage. This would be where I start an engine fire or death spiral. Before, this would be an assist as an ally would get the kill. Now, I get the finished off status which is better than an assist.

engine fire is not severe damage.

Well, I really don’t want to ruin your experience, but for reasons I can’t understand, you’re just ignoring the facts you don’t like and you’re happy about being penalized.

For the third time: if you now get “finished off” now, that was a direct kill before. Please, look at this table:

EVENT Pilot(s) kill or tail cut Any other completely crippling damage (eg: both wing cut) Any other crippling damage Any other damage
BEFORE Kill (no tag) (100%) Kill (dark red tag) (100%) Critical hit Hit
NOW Kill (no tag) (100%) Severe damage (normal red tag) (80%) Critical hit Hit
2 Likes

Fire works how it used to work before. It’s not the fact there is a fire that gives severe damage. But a fire can damage parts of the plane, which can cause severe damage (or destruction in the old system).

For example, the battle I had today. Just please don’t offend me for stealing that kill. I couldn’t know if this guy is severely damaged or not yet, because of the new system. In the old system I would know that thanks to the nameplate color. But in the new system the nameplate is always red, so I can’t recognize severely damaged planes:

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/SqhFbtbAkug

Check the guy on the right, the P-40E. My teammate attacked him and caused a fire. I attacked this guy later and got severe damage and he crashed some time later and gave me a full kill credit (it’s funny that my teammates kept shooting this guy, but to finish him they would have to kill his pilot or tear off his tail, and it’s not easy with bad guns, so they failed).

You can see this kind of situations often, when you play propellers. I can understand why it’s much harder to spot this in jets, when you use big guns and missiles (that cause explosion).

It’s still not severe damage condition. Nothing changed in this matter:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMX8o1V3DQQ

How it works is that if you destroy less than half of the enemy wing, you receive a critical hit (in old and new system) that will give you an assist if someone else finish this target. If you destroy more than half of the enemy wing, you receive severe damage in the new system and a destruction in the old system.

1 Like

Table is not 100% accurate. Just today, i had a missile hardly touch a plane and cause severe damage. At most, he lost landing gear or maybe a flap.

Table is 100% accurate, no matter what you believe. What is “severe damage” now, it was “kill and dark red nameplate” before. This is the very reason why they added this “severe damage” mechanic.

Not sure how that guy would of been a kill before the change. He had no visible flight damage

It’s not 100% accurate, but like I said, this is a pretty complicated topic.

All engines destruction was moved from critical hit to severe damage. In the old system destroying all engines was a critical hit. In the new system, it’s severe damage. So you can actually gain here 80% of the kill score (for severe damage) instead of the previous 67% of the kill score (for assist). But you still lose additional 33% of the kill score (for critical hit), that you would get in the old system.

The engine damage only counts if it’s a whole engine destroyed. I don’t fully understand this, but it’s not like any engine damage always means severe damage nowadays. Sometimes it still doesn’t count as severe damage.

There are also a few 'bugs" with the severe damage mechanics, and I’m not sure will they be fixed or not. We have to wait and see.

There are less critical hits available in the new system. The difference between a hit and a critical hit in the old system was that a hit “changed color” of some part (yellow, orange, red). A critical hit was that last hit that “changed color” of some part to black. In the new system some parts don’t have critical hits attached to them anymore. So making them black is not counted as a critical hit, but just a regular hit.

The difference is that a critical hit is worth 1/3 of the kill score (33%), regular hit only 1/18 of the kill score (5.6%). Also, critical hit guarantees an assist. Regular hit only give you an assists if the plane you hit dies within a certain time frame (that is different in every game mode).

BTW: All severe damage conditions are listed in this article:

Severe damage to a plane is considered to be: destruction of all engines (or destroying one engine if there is only one left), destruction of all elements of the control system (or the remaining controls left), which makes impossible to control the ailerons, elevators and rudders, separation of more than half of at least one wing, and destruction of all horizontal stabilizers (or the remainder of the horizontal stab).

2 Likes

As always it seems we have another thread of very confident “on paper” people rolling a natural 1 on their Wisdom check.

In practice, as opposed to “spherical cows in a vacuum”, the only people who earn less with the new system are people who exclusively kill steal… and even that “group” is bordering on being a “spherical cow”.

1 Like

The new system still needs some ironing out, but overall it seems to be implemented pretty well. Yeah, there’s less critical hits counted but at the same time before the new system a lot of those " critical hits " really weren’t critical at all and the damage dealt did not negatively affect the enemy aircraft, so this new system attempts to more accurately determine legitimate critical hits on top of severe damage.

I’m still adjusting it to it myself still but overall I think it’s implemented pretty well.

1 Like

It’s not about rewards. I have 50m SL and grinded almost all air tech trees. What’s the point of giving me 80% reward of a kill? I missed a kill in my record and that’s what really matters.

5 Likes

This is what really matters? …really? Service record stats seem like such an odd thing to focus on, especially in a very much not-competitive game like WT.

But more to the point, you don’t get a kill in your service record because you didn’t actually get a kill. The new system exists so people actually get decent rewards when someone else secures the kill… with emphasis on someone else securing the kill.

1 Like

It doesn’t count on service record.

Ksing still exists. What to do, is get a pet cat and make it jump on keyboard to fire missile

Severe damage doesn’t count as a kill on your stats after the game, the person who gets "aircraft finished off’ gets the kill on their monthly/lifetime stats.

I think this is the wrong way around - typically, the person who got the severe damage did the hard work, and the ‘finished off’ person just gets an easy clean up on a crippled plane.

2 Likes

I’m not against the severe damage mechanism. I just hope that the severe damage should count as a kill in service record stats. It counts as a kill in end-game result stats so there is no point it doesn’t count in service record. Besides, the person who inflicted the severe damage did the most work, rather than the person who got the actual kill.

3 Likes