Is BF 109 The Big Boy prop?

Oh the irony. Most pf us aren’t the pilot though. The Mouse-Aim instructor is the pilot. We are just glorified Nav Systems. Except if you play on Full-Real-Controls.

Big boy prop is when you take strike aircraft/bomber and hunt fighters

Wrong assumption. Japanese mains often are the more skilled players who had to deal with a lot slower aircraft at higher tiers. So there’s a higher skill scale. However if you are trying to learn things at the basic nothing wrong doing the Germans or Italians.

1 Like

This is valid if you do this with non-op TT aircraft only.

Give us a hint when you try to play this kind of “big boy prop” game play…

I don’t think SB2C and B7A2 are OP? I also used the Firebrand and Il-2 pretty often (sideclimb to death). Maybe i should tried it with the duck or the PBJ but it is pretty fun tbh.
Also in your opinion what would be OP-TT aircraft?

Imho “pretty often” is a relative term - and requires a significant amount of matches flown with them - compared to the total number of played games.

My comment was aimed at the usual Wyvern trash players polluting Air RB. They do nothing else than running, forcing headons and look for cheap 3rd party kills. To be fair: That’s how they should be played.

You see rarely really experienced players in Air RB flying them, as most skilled pilots (outside kill-driven tryhards) see the required playstyle how it is (extremely boring) and reject the idea of using the superior speed and early game impact as main advantage.

Killing fighters noobs with a bomber like SB2C or B7A2 is no challenge. Same with Firebrand as most guys totally underestimate it’s turn.

The challenge is to have a significant game impact and to survive several hundred games whilst doing this. Most guys are not able to keep their energy and track relative and absolute positioning of enemies at the same time…

Regarding strike fighters / bombers: The 3 B-18 variants - thx to bomber spawn. A good flow B-18B is a pain to catch and kill, the T-18s are imho strike fighters with bomber spawn. All 3 of them outturn most fighters they face - and stuff like Pyoerremskis are in your team - and they outrun most of better turning enemies above 6-8 km…

Regarding fighters: List is way too long, basically the most flown US/USSR stuff thx to mass usage by rookies - dragging their BRs way too low.

Air RB WR table

You might check the table below - Air RB win rates. You see the impact of undertiered US props around the Ju 288 “black hole”.

Imho you received valuable feedback to your question.

The 109s (and Germany as whole) dominated Air RB prop tiers for a very long time. In the old world (so until 2019/2020) with axis vs allies the game play was boring like hell - 109s outclimbed (almost) everthing and the few Spits with better climb rates got swarmed and/or died in headons. J2M2 were axis and premium stuff like Wyverns or XP-50s were not spammed like today.

The downfall of the 109s is imho a result of a shift in the player structure - energy fighting of undertiered enemy fighters requires a lot of skill (and good team work) - and skilled pilots became rare in Air RB.

So even as stuff like P-51 H-5s etc was also undertiered in the past - the deletion of axis vs allies simply reduced lobbies of 8 109s facing a mix of allied aircraft, therefore the rather superior climb vs most enemies is not longer as decisive in the past - and most of the very good 109 pilots avoid playing above BR 4.7 to avoid facing undertiered US/UK props in the Ju 288 BR range…

1 Like

Tbh i was talking specifically about striker and bomber only as i am an avid fighters main. Suprsingly I have 60 smth battles with the Firebrand and a wr of 72% which is higher than my typhoon with similar battle number and 57% wr lol. I love firebrand.

They also lose a tons of energy and are slow as balls so any competent pilot would easily killed them, you would be surprised by how many lvl 60+ i had seen at that br.
I also played like a maniac and goes straight into the enemy team at the start which imo is more fun.

I didn’t mean that experienced pilots see BF 109 as superior necessarily, just that its characteristics seem to appeal to them for some reason.

Oh ok, thought it went down in the last BR changes

Nah, what I was saying was if could probably go to 6.7 easily, but shouldn’t go to 7.0 as well as the Mk.24 come down 6.7. Especially with migs and F86 at 8.0 now. I also didn’t play the P-51H until about 3 years after starting the game. It may say I started playing the game recently, but that just because I switched from Xbox.

no idea why the italians were thrown in here

Both easily can be

I saw this before i replied :-)

Not all of them, i recommend to try the SM 92.

An absolute beast at high alt - and it can outturn stuff like XP-50s or the 4.3 Typhoon, ofc all 109s except the E models in extremely rare full downtiers. The key is to use MEC to play 100% with WEP in order to win sustained turn fights.

Initial turn of most opponents is better, so all u have to do is to create 1 vs 1s, to avoid headons and to survive the first 2 turns. Yak-3s are critical as they keep their energy extremely long and gain the advantage in longer fights if you can’t make them very slow, therefore you need to pick your fights wisely…

I agree to a certain degree for the B7A2, the SB2C is in direct comparison imho just a joke - as you can just outrun and outclimb them, the SB2C is extremely limited to early game presence.

Only real one i can think of where its truly just not even a fair fight is probably the lf mk.9 vs k4 or perhaps the Mk.14e the rest its really a pilot skill situation.

Full-real is fun, as long as there’s a damping mode, but still fun.

And it also depends on what mode you fly as well as personal playstyle/preference. In AB, 109’s in general have a good flight model, what little I used them in RB . . they were terrible for me. One of the reasons I prefer AB to RB, my favorite planes in AB are not very good in RB . . for me anyway.
And there is also a line where 109’s change in AB. After the last “speed up” in AB(not sure RB got the same thing) there was a huge surge in the effectiveness of “lighter” planes. Some power to weight ratio that was either totally ignored when they made the change or was just a mistake of sorts. Basically all 109’s below the G series got a huge buff, no loss of energy, much better turning than before . . but this is also across the board and now many lower BR’d planes outperform the same planes newer/higher BR counterparts. Bf 109’s are very good, I die to them a LOT . . . more than any other plane by a wide margin. And they are totally neglected when any BR changes come around. Example, the Swedish 21 “push” planes. Came into the game at 4.3 BR (AB) and were pushed up one step at a time all the way to 5.3 . . 4.7 or maybe 5.0 is about as good as they should be set. All that time, not a single Bf 109 in that general BR was raised at all, not one of them. I dunno if Gaijin is purposely ignoring them, or so many players just go head on in them and die, skewing the numbers and data that Gaijin goes by or what. But most below G series should be raised . . in AB.
My advice? . . . play them while they are low BR, get good with them and score well while advancing your German air tree . . I like them much better than the 190’s . . but that’s just me

Well we are talking prop aircraft so there shouldn’t be dampening.

Yeah, I thought some late ones had some though?

Maybe I’m just thinking of Trimming out over-rotation and roll.

There’s no skill involved in Japan. It’s a patience test. Waiting for other players to screw up in such a manor that they let you shoot them, because almost all of their planes are horrendously overtiered.