IMAM Romeo Ro.57bis.

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters

IMAM Romeo Ro.57bis.

History.

The IMAM Romeo Ro.57 was a fighter aircraft produced by the company Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Meridionali SpA (IMAM). The idea is the result of the same competition announced by the Regia Aeronautica in February 1936 (the same one in which the unfortunate Ba.88 and the C.R.25 participated). This aircraft was to represent IMAM’s entry into the aeronautical field. However, the project was immediately modified, orienting the designs towards hunting rather than assault, so much so that the final prototype, presented in Guidonia in May 1939, was devoid of any bombing equipment and some other things. The plane was very light thanks to its structure made up of many tubes and had average armament compared to contemporary Italian fighters, however the plane did not arouse much interest among the high command of the Regia Aeronautica. The technicians proposed transforming the Ro.57 into a dive bomber, but this proposal also did not arouse interest. It was only in 1941, faced with the clear failure of the Breda Ba.88, that the Regia Aeronautica decided to resume the project and strengthen it by requesting the transformation of the aircraft into a complete assault aircraft. Thus was born the Ro.57bis, from which the Ro.57 Quadriarma arose following various modifications to further enhance the offensive possibilities of the aircraft. Although they didn’t like the plane, over 70 examples were built, of which none participated in war action due to delays in training and the destruction of the planes by bombing.

Armaments and propulsion.

The aircraft was armed with two 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns with 290 rounds per gun. Furthermore, the aircraft could load up to 1,000 kg of bombs. It could load a 1,000 kg bomb in its belly, or an 820 kg or 500 kg or 250 kg bomb. Two 160 kg or 100 kg bombs could also be loaded under the wings.
The plane was powered by two Fiat A.74 RC.38 Ciclone engines with 840 hp, which could push the plane up to a maximum speed of 466 km/h.

Specifications.

Spoiler

Length: 8.83 m
Wingspan: 12.5 m
Height: 2.99 m
Wing surface area: 23 m²
Engine: 2x Fiat A.74 RC.38 radials, 840 hp each
Maximum speed: 466 km/h
Tangency: 8,850 m (8,500 with the 500 kg bomb)
Armament: 2x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT and up to 1.000 kg of bombs
Maximum weight: 4.990 kg

Pictures and drawnings.

Spoiler

Sources.

Spoiler

IMAM Ro.57 - Wikipedia
Уголок неба ¦ IMAM Ro.57
IMAM Ro.57 Overview and Specifications - Comando Supremo
IMAM Ro.57 - Wikipedia
Italian Aircraft 1939-45
https://www.cmpr.it/MN%20-%20IMAM%20Ro.57.htm
https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-i/imam/item/56181-c-a-613-velivolo-ro-57-istruzioni-e-norme-per-il-montaggio-la-regolazione-l-impiego-e-la-manutenzione
Italian Whirlwind; The IMAM Ro.57 - Forgotten Aircraft - Military Matters
IMAM RO 57 - ZIMMERIT FORUM
Ro-57
IMAM Ro.57 Multipurpose Fighter - Italy
Italian Civil and Military Aircraft
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM: L'IMAM Ro.57 è stato un aereo prodotto dall'azienda italiana Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Meridionali SpA (IMAM) nei primi anni quaranta
IMAM Ro.57 | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums
IMAM Ro.57
IMAM Ro.57bis : IMAM

1 Like

Didn’t the bis add 2 x 20mm cannon, and is already in the game as the Ro. 57 Quadriarma?
https://wiki.warthunder.com/Ro.57_Quadriarma

I thought that too, but apparently “Ro.57bis” is supposed to mean all the dive bombing versions, which the linked manual is of a version with only 2 12.7mm guns.

The various information is a bit confusing - WT Wiki says only a few had HS 404 cannon fitted…

Google translation of part of the Italian information at the site you linked to - says the cannon were MG 151/20, and that it remained a “prototype” - I guess saying that proper development never happened:

I’m referring to this manual,

And from what the Yandex image translation says, this has dive brakes too so it matches with the bis.

1 Like

The Ro.57 Quadriarma is a modified bis with the addition of the 2x 20 mm.

aint that a…

The one in the pic is the Ro.57bis “Quadriarma”, and it is different from the one I suggested.

1 Like

Yes, a truly Italian plane with a truly Italian name and history (aka It’s a mess!)

1 Like

I don’t see that anywhere - all the documents appear to show the bis had 4 guns.

Because a lot of documents made this mistake. I have made around 2 days of research in various document, also original maintenance document from the '40s. The Ro.57bis from the 40th exemplar were armed with 2x 12.7 mm, and only the Ro.57 Quadriarma had the supplementar 2x 20 mm.
Btw a lot of document call the production plane only Ro.57 and not Ro.57bis.

+1
That’s strange we still don’t have this variant in WT, would be a nice low tier CAS and easy to implement, considering the basic model is already in the game.

1 Like

A low-tier F7F seems interesting

2 Likes