GPS guided bombs vs TV guided bombs

I currently dont see the point of GPS guided bombs. Maybe for area clearence but why not give us the option to designate the spot on the map? Thats the whole way these bombs work. You put coordinates into them and they hit there. Why do we designate targets with the laser now?

If i could actually zoom in on the map and click on some very often camped spots GPS bombs would get their use. But rn TV is just better in every way.

Not all jets have access to TV guided bombs.

For the most part GPS bombs are for stationary targets, but you can use ccrp to mark a point and then do a bomb toss or normal bomb run. Since they are designed to be used against stationary targets to minimize collateral damage, yes TV guided bombs that track moving targets would work better against moving targets…

5 Likes

More useful in sim or RB base striking than ground.

Who would win:

TV guided big bomb from sky

Literal darkness

5 Likes

More modern ones like GBU-15 (IR guided) and Kr-Es (i think cuz color camera) work at night

2 Likes

Can’t seem to find one called the KR-ES. I do know about the GBU-15 though.

Still, TV is vastly inferior to any IR-Laser guided bombs.

Its the suffix of the Russian TV Guided Bomb, the KAB-500, as in KAB-500Kr or KAB-500Kr-E
the -E means full color camera

I know what the KR is for, and KaB means controllable arial bomb, you said ES, so I looked up KR-ES, and couldn’t find it.

I said Es. as in plural E. Kr-E

Idk about that, ever since they nerfed laser bomb seeker ranges, their usefulness dropped for me. At extended designation ranges (like 15km), laser spot tracking performance is dropped by so much that the bombs very often fail to pick up the laser or way too late for an accurate hit. TV bombs, even though they may not track from long range either, at least hold their POINT lock, allowing you to super accurately hit stationary points, with the upside that it’s fire and forget (no need to stay vulnerable while lasing), and potentionally still tracks the target if the target has only moved a little or only starts moving when the bomb is close. With the GBU-24, for instance I can not even accurately hit stationary points from extended ranges since the nerf. Though at lower BRs, where you can confortably sit at closer ranges, I can imagine LGBs are probably better.

I put out a bug report however to potentially improve laser guided bomb tracking ranges across the board, making them be (reliably) useable from even extended designation ranges, like they used to. So hopefully LGBs can be useful again for long range applications.

1 Like

So…

Kr-E’s (Kr-E apostrophe S)

Yeah, TV has fire and forget capabilities but it completely falls flat at night or when a cloud is in the way.

Now, if it’s a clear day though, I’d pick a TV bomb any day, especially the KAB-1500Kr.

Sure at night indeed TV is completely useless, but since you can turn off that option, it’s not necessarily as relevant. Though you can still lase through clouds I think, targeting pods will also fail to track through clouds and so will your eyes. And similarly, you still need to be “close” to the target to successfully lase, which isn’t ideal. I wager even in cloudy weather TV bombs are better, since you only need to find one gap in the clouds to drop, whereas for laser you probably want to stay inside that gap the entire time in order to see what you are lasing. Either way you want to find a gap in the clouds for both weapons. Clouds are kinda stupid in general though, since they seem to be not even synced across clients, so sometimes it’s possible to lock through clouds, and similarly sometimes IR SPAA shoot you down through clouds, but I digress.

True

eminem-now-this-looks-like-a-job-for-me

3 Likes

Yeah, because it’s the KAB-500Kr-E’s color TV guidance computer.

(The KAB-500KR-E posses a Color TV guidance computer)

Btw how does having color tv guidance computer help it in the dark?

Idk, that’s just what dude said, because it can apparently help differentiate some reflected light better than black and white.

But idk if that’s just BS or not. A straight up IR filtered lens would do the job. (As in a phosphorus coated lens with an electrical stimulant like a pair of tube NVOD ya know like this):

1 Like