General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

I think the only threads related to Southeast Asia other than Thailand that have been active recently are Indonesia and Singapore. I occasionally see individual comments trying to include Japan, but I think the only thread that has been started is Thailand.

1 Like

Reloading auto-loader.

Replenishing spare ammunition.

https://x.com/NAMELESS_JSDF/status/1751685130593161535

5 Likes
Forgotten classics

3 Likes

Experimental 75 mm Type 11 Self-propelled Anti-aircraft Gun

This SPAAG was inspired by information that in Europe, anti-aircraft guns were mounted on trucks. It was prototyped at the Osaka Arsenal in 1923. It was tested until 1925, but due to its excessive weight and lack of speed, it was decided that towing anti-aircraft guns with artillery tractors was more suitable for the terrain in Asia, and the project was canceled. The 75mm Type 11 anti-aircraft gun was the first anti-aircraft gun of the Japanese Army, developed based on the 75mm Type 38 field gun. In the game, its muzzle velocity is not particularly impressive, but it might be interesting to shoot down aircraft with time-fused HE shells or destroy tanks with HEAT shells or anti-concrete shells. Perhaps this hasn’t been suggested yet, so I’d like to look into it and suggest it.

Weight: 7.6 t
Length: 5.5 m
Width: 2.1 m
Engine: 50 ps water-cooled gasoline engine
Speed: 16 km/h (practical), 40 km/h (plan)
Drivetrain: 4x4
Transmission: forward and reverse 4 gears

75 mm Type 11 AA gun
Muzzle velocity: 530 m/s

Reference
Reviewing 7.5-Centimeter vehicle mounted antiaircraft artillery
History of Japanese Artillery, Vol. 3 (Weaponry)

4 Likes

Is there any information about this tank? Rumor has it, that in 1945, one incomplete prototype was created

Chi-Ru

It’s definitely fake, you can’t even operate the gun correctly.

The space needed would create an enormous turret. Look at where the crew are. Then you have to think about recoil and where you’re gonna put the ammo

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s outright impossible. Japan at that time was experiencing a shortage of resources and weapons to equip its military equipment, given that they already had various ready-made tank hulls in 1944. The same “Chi-Ha LG” was a similar project

Right, but they only made a single Chi-Ri prototype

That’s right, but there were several tank hulls. Since in 1944, one of them was tested for the Ho-Ri tank. And it seems to me that this tank (Chi-Ru) could still exist in 1945, although not in its full form

Where are the production numbers?

What do you mean?

I’m just saying how do you know the Ho-Ri gun wasn’t tested on the sole prototype chassis

Because according to the National Institute of Defense Studies of the Ministry of Defense of Japan, it was said that the prototype/several prototypes (Ho-Ri) were sunk in lakes in 1945. And as is well known, the only prototype of Chi-Ri was captured by the Americans and taken to the USA in the same year 45. That is, there were several hulls of the same tank. The naval gun was not a problem, since it was on battleships/pillbox

You’re thinking of the Chi-To. Two such tanks were sunk in a lake. One was recovered by the Americans and later scrapped. The other one is still lost.

Japanese captured Ba-10:

4 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you, but this information comes from MaiWaffentrager. While she has done some good work bringing greater recognition to Japanese vehicles, her track record is quite suspect at times. There is no such evidence to support that five Ho-Ri TDs were dumped into a lake. Five were indeed in the middle of being produced, but were never finished.

Think about it. There was a lot of effort to try and recover the ONE Chi-To that still remains in a lake. Why wouldn’t they do the same for FIVE Ho-Ris? Simple answer is that they do not exist

I will still trust to her, since the text says that they were either destroyed or dumped in the lake, there are no exact documents on this matter, since too much time has passed.

Or too much time has passed and there is no interest in it, for many reasons…

3 Likes

To be fair that text likely wasn’t even written by her. It’s on a tank (Ho-Ri Production) she herself stated was a fictional vehicle designed at request of Gaijin for lack of alternatives and she was pretty open about that as far as I remember. This text seems to try and say it was real, which she never said.

I still think it might be wrong, but maybe not intentional. Even the Ho-Ri Prototype is the wrong design of the tank for lack of available information at the time, despite being at least real enough for the game if it was correct. There is a chance the number of 5 is either too high (maybe confused with total tanks sunk?) or it means hulls allocated to Ho-Ri projects, that wouldn’t even have to be completed hulls. And of course it might just be a different Gaijin writer as well, with little/no input from Mai.

2 Likes