General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

@N4MELESS did you have anything specific about DL10T? Was it ever used anywhere else?
Secondary sources would be just fine.

Also the table with any missile project also current development. And here is MPMS Kai from 2010~202x
Document from November 2023

1 Like

i wanna ask. does the japanese MOD have any plans to upgrade their type 90s? or any of their fighting vehicles at all, and any news on the new Type 16 IFV/APC thing. havent heard of that vehicle for months now.

2 Likes

They are being retired and scrapped as far as I know.

they are? i thought it was only the type 74s? dang.

What ? That was the Type 74.

In 2020, there was a screenshot circulating of the purported Type 90 upgrade, referred to as Type 90 Kai. The retention period for this plan expires on March 31, 2025.

This document was posted in 2021, showcasing information related to the modernization of the Type 90 tank. However, since all the information is redacted, nothing concrete is known. It is noted, though, that Mitsubishi proposed the 90TK project back in 2019.

Standardization of armor piercing bullets for 120mm tank guns

I don’t anticipate any enhancements to the protection of the Type 90 given its base weight. However, I did expect that its firepower might be improved, potentially allowing its gun to fire the same ammunition type as the Type 10. Perhaps a gun replacement is in consideration?

Unrelated but i loved these fictional Type 90 upgrade so much.

11 Likes

Damn it’s look good, almost look like if they made it for halo franchise

3 Likes

oh my got bro you gon make me bus with those 2 fictional upgrades

4 Likes

By far the coolest image of the Type 73 i have ever seen.

The camo nets, missile racks, panzerfaust, LMAT, one handed machine gun, bullet belts wrapping his neck, boonie caps.
This picture seriously goes hard !

10 Likes

5 Likes

What the hell is that

Appears to be a Type 90 (B) with Type 16 turret

Similar concept to this:

Spoiler

RDT_20240515_1702504970071223153917367

3 Likes

wtf. a Type 16 Turret on a Type 90 hull?. i guess it could work. though im more interested in a Type 16 with 120mm and Autoloader. OR just put the Type 10 Turret on the type 90 i guess

https://x.com/Military_Hobbys/status/1580854613259190273

This was on twitter

Actually there is a nations that can adding to Japan tree which is US, more specific is USFJ. Gaijin can add US weapon to Japan tree under Japan flag if they want because of this

1 Like

What do you guys think about potentially adding this Thai Autonomous Truck Mounted Mortar developed by the RTA’s Weapon Production Center through a technology transfer with Elbit System for its Soltam SPEAR 120mm Mortar.

The mortar tube can go all the way down so it should be able to function in the direct fire role but only in specific angles such as in the rear and some spots on the side.

Also Thailand has their own domestic ammo in production, any of you know how it compares to modern ammunition used by others?

120mm Mortar Shell

105mm APFSDS

3 Likes

I saw this on a random propaganda video but apparently the RTA’s Weapon Production Center also did mount what I assume to be a M425 105mm Howitzer on the back of of a Kia KM500 truck way back in 2003 which took 10 years to develop. I dont really know its actual designation but its titled as the M425 SPH in an old proposal for this on the old forums.

Apparently as well, the M425 is a unique Thai Howitzer and as such also use a unique domestic ammo.

ศักยภาพอาวุธไทย_ก้าวไกลสู่อาเซียน__Springnews

สรุปวีดีโอสาธิต_วปอ_60 (1)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old Forums: M425 Self-Propelled Howitzer - Other Nations - War Thunder - Official Forum

EDIT:

Theres also this proposed Norinco Type CS/AH2 Howitzer based on the PLL-01 SPH but this is to mount a jointly developed 105mm Arc-Guided Light Artillery that recently just got its prototype tested however the howitzer itself is based on the French Nexter LG1 Mk. III which Thailand currently has.

So basically, the chassis would be from the Chinese PLL-01 SPH but the howitzer is a domestic reproduction of the French Nexter LG1 Mk. III with collaboration from the Chinese. While the howitzer now exists, its unclear if the SPH would be bought as well or it would be retained as a towed artillery by the RTA.

Spoiler

6 Likes

Meet the DTI-2 122mm MLRS, Thailand’s entirely domestic MLRS mounted on a Norinco Type 85 APC. This is different from the PLA’s own Type 82 MLRS mounted on the same chassis.

Pretty nifty little thing, compared to the Type 75 MLRS of the JSDF its hull is a bit lower so it should make it somewhat easier to aim forward. Still it has no depression to speak of so not much of a different experience but its top speed is 65 km/h compared to the Type 75’s 55 km/h so its a speedy boi. It however lacks an mg so its gonna be painful lol.

Spoiler

Just for comparison, here is the old Type 82 MLRS that was then in use with RTA:

Spoiler

Anyways if you really want something to fear, this is Thailand’s very own doomsday weapon. Immediate 12.0 BR minimum. Its currently not mounted on any vehicle but its the same rocket as the DTI-2 so it should be mountable.

Spoiler

6 Likes

unrelated but, what missiles would the Japanese F35 use in the future when it eventually comes?

Cuz i’ve heard that the JNAAM could be a possibility, but it could have been cancelled…

I’m not saying the AMRAAM is bad but the Meteor seems to be the best Fox 3 out there…