General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

One of the more recognizable artillery pieces of the Imperial Japanese military, alongside the Type 96 triple mount 25mm. The spoked wooden wheels really stand out when compared to European designs that often use rubber tires.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why they still used the Type 96. Having too many calibers for different cannons is counterintuitive if you have a small industrial base like Japan. It’s not like the Type 96 was amazing anyway. I’m guessing Army-Navy rivalry had something to do with it

1 Like

Likely, it is a shame they were less than willing to share the 20mm as did Germany’s army and navy.

1 Like

Type 87 AW of the 7th anti-aircraft regiment. It is such a pretty SPAAG <3
https://twitter.com/NAMELESS_JSDF/status/1771549090028900676/photo/1

7 Likes

This is just a repost on the same comment I posted on the other thread for Japan-Thai vehicles but seeing this is more apt for discussions on ground vehicles, Ill repost it here. This is the Alvis Scorpion 90, a unique modernization upgrade only adopted by Malaysia, Nigeria, Indonesia, & Venezuela. If the Thai subtree ever adds the FV101 Scorpion, I was hoping this would be like a good sidegrade or even premium for the TT.

Alvis developed this with Venezuela and Malaysia in mind and Malaysia did order a batch of these (26 units) in 1981, then Indonesia ordered like 3 batches of these (~121 units) making them the largest users of the Scorpion 90 variant (even surpassing Venezuela’s ~80 units ordered).

5 Likes

Did a few suggestions for the next batte rating changes.

Type 16 FPS & Type 16 (P): Requiring their missing Type 93 APFSDS ammunition.

Type 16 MCV: Go back to 9.3.

Type 87 RCV: Go back to 8.3.

Type 87 RCV (P): Go down to 7.3.

This addition was disappointing due to the overexaggerated BR placement. Placing a vehicle that can’t even penetrate a medium tank from the side at 7.7 BR, with no other suitable vehicles to accompany it, feels like a missed opportunity. I feel bad for this unique vehicle, as it isn’t just a copy-paste from the Type 87, featuring a different gun and appearance. However, I lack motivation to use or invest Silver Lions in this vehicle at its current BR.

Feel free to take a look and consider supporting my suggestion. Hopefully, it will catch their attention.Planned Battle Rating changes for April 2024 - #441 by _N4MELESS

17 Likes

Don’t feel bad in the least for not investing in the Type 87 P in it’s current state- used it for a good few matches, and the top round can’t even pen the side of the T-55 clones and Pattons, let alone all the heavy tanks, that fill the BR range…

2 Likes

i personally do good at 9.7 with the type 16 but yeah i still believe it needs to go back a bit since fighting T90A’s casually its kind of annoying specially with a shell that barely pens 400 mm of armor at 10 meters

1 Like

The Type 87 P’s stock grind truly brought me to the brink. Unable to scratch the surface of US/Soviet mediums and heavies, and just barely being able to penetrate the light armor of BMPs and Marders. I more or less only used it to kill helicopters and aircraft, before giving up on finishing the stock grind.

1 Like

I agree that the Type 16 can still be usable at its current BR. However, I believe it should go back to 9.3 mainly because I don’t want to keep pushing my 9.0 and 9.3 vehicles just to play the Type 16.

When it was at 9.3, I could use it with the Type 93 and Type 74G, creating a very effective lineup. But now, that lineup is completely ruined.

Why are they even bothering with trying to have other Type 16s at a 0.4 BR lower just to play around with the terrible M735?

1 Like

Don’t bother with it; I highly recommend playing the SUB-I-II instead. You get the same firepower and 400 more rounds. It might have worse survivability due to the gunner being exposed, slower speed, and lack of stabilizer, but it’s still a very good SPAAG for lineups ranging from 5.3 to 7.3. Additionally, it recently received a speed buff, increasing its maximum speed from 50 to 60 km/h.
Yeah, go play the SUB-I-II.

I’ll consider getting the Type 87 P only once it goes down to at least 7.3 and put it with my Type 99, M47, and Ho-Ri lineup. But definitely not putting them with the Type 87 at 7.7; that’s a no-brainer.

6 Likes

I’d like to add, Type 99 does super well as an AA for 7.3 with the (PF) round. Will just take time to get used to it like any other vehicle. If only it had a rangefinder, would make things easier.

2 Likes

yes, the type 87 prototype should be 7.3. I recently played with it and fired about 10 bullets into the Chinese Pt-76, only one penetrated its lower front plate and all it did was slightly injure one of the crew.

1 Like

Has anyone made a suggestion to add pontoons for the Ka-mi?

Spoiler

20240416_195428
Screenshot_20220521-100556_Samsung Internet

They even have one in Kubinka, so not too hard for them to go and look at it

7 Likes

There is no suggestion for it as far as I am aware, but you should first try to make an historical report here: Community Bug Reporting System

Don’t forget to add sources (e.g. Books).

1 Like

A weapon abandoned in a field overgrown with weeds. The tank built with the prestige of the Empire of Japan is also a playground for children = Taken on October 15, 1948 (Showa 23) * Another cut published in “100 Million Showa History” (5) P249 (mainichi.co.jp)

This image may be of interest to those who like obscure Japanese vehicles. In the distance you can see a Chi-So APC. In the middle foreground is what I think is the Type 5 Ke-Ho or maybe a Type Ke-to, but I’m not sure. Some on Japanese Twitter think it’s the Chi-Ho, but I’m somewhat doubtful of that claim. Lower tank is some kind of construction vehicle

5 Likes

The document also states that the Type 94 truck weighs 3,400 kg.

The Isuzu Type 94 SPAA weighs 5.3 tons in the game, but I think it is overweight since the curb weight of an Isuzu Type 94 six-wheel truck is 3.4 to 3.5 tons and the total weight of the 20 mm Type 98 cannon including wheels etc is 430 kg. Maybe 5.3 tons should be the total weight with the payload loaded to the max.

In Enlisted, the Isuzu Type 94 weighs 5.3 tons even though it is just a cargo truck not carrying a 20 mm cannon.

3 Likes

We deserve the best Type 74 inside the tech tree.

10 Likes

Speaking of obscure Japanese vehicles, there is currently a crowdfunded project underway to restore a very rare Ha-Go variant: a bulldozer created postwar to aid in the reconstruction of Japan.
A living witness of post-war reconstruction, the Type 95 light tank modified bulldozer to the next generation! (Masahiko Kobayashi (Representative of NPO “Association for the Creation of the National Defense Technology Museum”) 2024/02/27 Published) - Crowdfunding READYFOR

The organization taking on this restoration is planning on opening a museum in 2027, in Gotemba City. Other vehicles that will be present in the museum include:

The only restored Ha-Go in Japan (complete with original Mitsubishi engine!)

An early version of the Kurogane scout car
kurogane
And most interestingly, as of March 2024, negotiations are in progress with the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas to ship their Chi-Ha Kai to Japan for restoration and display. Japan has only 3 known Chi-Ha tanks, all of them the 57mm version, with only 1 of those being fully restored, so it is exciting that they will finally recieve one of the more iconic versions.
chihakai
And then of course the aforementioned Ha-Go Bulldozer, nicknamed “Ha-Bull”
ha-bull

9 Likes

Looks like the Type 95 Ho-Fu, an artilley tractor.

EMX02L7XsAAYOSa
You can see the cable spool at the rear.

1 Like