General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

I missed this one.
https://twitter.com/finemolds_news/status/1774599577028734990

9 Likes

Monthly passed to the developers looks great !
Tech tree Type 74G, RTA T-84 Oplot-T and even CVT mechanic

9 Likes

Suggestions Passed to the Developers - March 2024 - Suggestions - News - War Thunder — official forum

1 Like

…There can’t just be good things happening to the JP tree in War Thunder without a monkey’s paw curling…

Is the A6M5 Ko to go to 5.7 as a result now, or R2Y2 to 8.3? :P

2 Likes

What kind of nonsense is that. Spall liners are found on literally every modern MBT, by modern I mean 1970+. It’s not even an add-on thing, this is what is expected for a modern MBT to come with as default. Is it called a liner, or is it integrated somehow else, but all modern MBTs have means to reduce spalling. There isn’t a single MBT in service that does not have that and it isn’t necessarily mentioned anywhere because as said, it is expected, a default, just like electric car windows aren’t mentioned on any pamphlets or technical specs anymore, because they are considered default in 2024, while in the '80 & '90 they were heavily advertised if they came with that feature, because they were not standard at that time for many cars.

3 Likes
1 Like

Tank trials in Thailand in 1980s.
Jane’s Armour and Artillery 1987-1988

Commando Stingray prototype.

66704719_128991788356622_5442290186002482766_n

Vickers Mk. 3

OF-40 Mk. 2

inpn29w

TH-301

Other vehicles not mentioned.

SK-105

435254833_390877333741059_3318534888129208984_n

Leopard 1A5

FV721 ''Fox''

7 Likes

Got a source for that image boss? I tried having a look, reverse image searching but couldn’t find it. I’d like to read on it further :)

No idea, one of my followers on Twitter posted it on my tweet, he doesn’t say where it is from.

4 Likes

Ah, okay. Thanks king.

1 Like

I got some data about few 35x228 rounds from a book:

APFSDS-T PMD 343
-388g
-283g tungsten-alloy penetrator
-1400m/s muzzle velocity
-penetration 120mm against 90 degree plate at 1000m
-flight times to range:
1000m 0.7s
2000m 1.42s
3000m 2.21s

2 Likes

I found the document those screenshots were from, a US report on non-US-made projectiles. Unfortunately it seems that the document only provides quick overviews with diagrams and/or pictures while providing no sources. I’ll be going back to read through the entire document when I have the time just in case I missed anything. It listed a few more 35mm shell types including a rather interesting SAPHEI-T shell.
35mm SAPHEI-T

Careful with this one, an isekai author is going to see this and make up an excuse to use this abomination lmao

2 Likes

T-84 Oplot and VT-4.

The Oplot looks strong and cool.

11 Likes

Some photos of the Type 94 AA truck I haven’t seen before

Gun elevation+camo
type94camo
Travel position with sides folded up
type94folded
Rear photo
type94rear1
Rear photo from slightly different angle
type94rear2
This photo does not have trees in the background, which means it could’ve been taken in a different location

I also think this is a test report for the vehicle, although I am unable to read Japanese.

3 Likes

Slightly unrelated, but something interesting about this truck is that the wooden wheels were included to allow for rapid field deployment of the AA gun. Of course, it could be fired from the bed of the truck, but it wasn’t truly mechanized as the “So-Ki” and Ta-Se were (notice the supports from the folded-down sides).

You see a similar concept on the Ki-To SPAAG

2 Likes

I’m guessing that same wheeled carriage is what is depicted in my last photo, perhaps even at the same location.

1 Like

1 Like

One of the more recognizable artillery pieces of the Imperial Japanese military, alongside the Type 96 triple mount 25mm. The spoked wooden wheels really stand out when compared to European designs that often use rubber tires.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why they still used the Type 96. Having too many calibers for different cannons is counterintuitive if you have a small industrial base like Japan. It’s not like the Type 96 was amazing anyway. I’m guessing Army-Navy rivalry had something to do with it

1 Like