General Japanese & JASDF General Discussion

just play what you want to play

*Britain. They were unable to reproduce the AESA seeker at their own production facilities even with the techincal support of the Japanese side, so the project was frozen.

Yes, the rocket was an unpleasant surprise, but it’s not as big a problem as it might seem. You might be frightened by the maximum flight distance of the missile, but in practice it is almost impossible to implement it against a symmetrical enemy - plane will have to rise high so as not to leave the radio horizon (the missile flies almost the entire flight according to external target designation), and there we will expose ourselves to attack. In addition, according to the inverse quadrant law, the strength of the control signal will fall in proportion to the square of the distance, which, in addition to the natural attenuation of the radiation, will make it highly vulnerable to electronic warfare. A full huge range can be realized against an enemy asymmetric in the level of technology or when attacking an unprepared enemy, but this does not apply to Japan or the United States.

As for the main question, yes, both Japan and the United States are developing new generation missiles to replace the AAM-4B and AIM-120D, respectively. In addition, if such a need arose, both of these countries could simply be issued models that were not put into production - for Japan, one could offer the (somewhat controversial) JNAAM or the internal (tested) project of installing a ramjet on the AAM-4. Another question is that, looking soberly at the developers, it’s hardly worth waiting for them in any case.

Spoiler

Project of the successor to AAM-4

3 Likes

Japan is great in Air RB for props, in jets it mostly sucks. Its a fun nation but don’t expect much good past 6.3 with a few exceptions.

their jets are quite frankly amazing, specially top tier ones

can’t really give them recommendation to be honest.
the tanks from what people said subpar? not great, not bad?
the slowest top tier tank big breech weakpoint. ww2 tank with no filler in AP, good pen but bad damage
only JAS probably a good plane on top tier plane. ww2 prop i have no idea, i tried spitfire for a while but i prefer the turn-rate and roll of the japan.

to be honest this is only my opinion, but like @Noveos_Republic said, play what you want.

If you want as many cooperative aircraft as possible, America is your best bet. The future prospects are also great. Although the quantity of jet aircraft in Japan is small, they are of high quality. F-16AJ, F-4EJkai, etc. However, Japan may become a large-scale jet aircraft tree in the future with the addition of Thailand and Southeast Asia. If you want peace of mind, I recommend America, and if you want something unique, I recommend Japan.

Eh, the F-15J is basically identical to the 15As. The F-16AJ is very nice but it’s one plane, and its preceded by the T-2, F-1, F-104J, F-4EJ, and even F-4EJ Kai, none of which are very good.

F-86F-30 is pretty mid, F40 is good but overtiered since the CL13B went down, and the Kikka and R2Y2s are just sad.

But in props it’s fantastic.

1 Like

Idk maybe it’s just me then but i quite frankly love the japanese Jets performance

We’re about to get the AAM-4 and depending on its performance, with AAM-3 (and maybe HMD), will be competitive, at least at top tier.

2 Likes

There is one good news with the current DevServer;

They fixed the AN/APG-66J’s X-Ray model :D

grafik

6 Likes

Will the Iwo Jima map get a new carrier model for incoming naval aircraft?

I just simply cant see a thai harrier or even a Japanese F35 using that WW2 carrier

(Also can F35s turn on afterburner while thrust vectoring?)

No, it can only use the afterburner with the engine locked in the forward flight position. (You occasionally see night time pictures of the F-35B with what looks like an afterburner in vtol mode, that’s just camera trickery)

Hmmm… the Yak 141 seems to be able to afterburn while thrust vectoring up to 50%, but perhaps thats due to having lift jets over lift fans?

Anyway, on another note, I wonder what kinds of new premiums minor nations are gonna get in future updates. Would Japan’s next premium be a paper plane or a real design?

Nah, with the F-35B the engine just runs extremely hot as a baseline, if you make it hotter with the afterburner the tight turn would melt the exhaust tube

I’ve heard that Thailand wanted some Harrier IIs but were unsuccessful in acquiring them. Could Gaijin pull an F16AJ and implement that in the game as a premium?

Also, I had a discussion with my friend on possible subtrees and apparently, Myanmar could be another viable subtree for Japan as they also had similar close ties like Thailand. It’ll be mostly Soviet and Chinese copypaste but it could make Japan viable in a lot of BRs where it’s weak at.

They could probably do that, but I doubt they would considering there are plenty of options Thailand actually operated.
As possible Thai premiums I’d say some of Thailands many F-5 variants or if we get to that point F-16s, as they have more than enough for both techtree and premiums.

I doubt they’d do that, instead I can see a BeNeLux like setup where nations close to Thailand like Singapore could be included. This would also be a lot more unique than Myanmar.

I can see where you’re coming from, but Singapore’s equipment is pretty much exactly the same with Japan’s in terms of air, so personally thats better off within the UK tree.

However, other SEA nations like Malaysia or Vietnam could also fit well instead

I doubt they can be considered “same as Japan”. Sure, they got F-15s in common, but those are Strike Eagle variants focusing on ground attack, something missing from Japan. I guess you could count the F-16Cs as being visually similar to F-2, but that’s about it, and they even still differ quite a bit from Thai F-16As. The only aircraft they do completely share is the F-35s.
And all of that only really applies when we ignore their rather unique ground equipment.

I’m not sure if they’d even want another subtree that isn’t Australia or Canada. They have South Africa and India so far and seem pretty set on wanting to trade both for their preferred subtrees. I could see Israel maybe using a Singaporean subtree though.

That was just supposed to be an example for their close military relations with Thailand. I’m aware others might work as well

its more likely that singapore ends up in israel then it would end up in the UK lol.
Most likely will still end up in japan even if its only for the ground additions

Uk isnt in need of singapore one bit, considering they already have SA and India confirmed for them specialy

4 Likes

Apparently, some article says that the JNAAM program is still functional, but nothing new has come since December 2023…

So does that revive the hopium for a JNAAM for Japanese F35s?

1 Like