General Japanese & JASDF General Discussion

I found this on the old forums, has this been forgotten?

I cant seem to access the associated link with the picture though, any more info on this?

Its apparently a prototype for mounting ATGMs on the Huey. The discussion for this just stopped though.

Old Forums: https://old-forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/406924-japanese-helicopter-tech-tree-discussion/page/2/

7 Likes

No, it’s just been sitting in the “passed for…” purgatory.

As for this I could not find anything yet. It may just be talking about rocket pods on the Huey we have in game.

2 Likes

I hope this is enough to fix the AN/APG-66Js X-Ray model…

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/ysQMcdUyfUsc

Found a picture of the entire AN/APG-66J btw, its the only one I am aware of atm. Besides this, there is only a picture of the planar array. Its also supposed to have more Modules than the APG-66 in F-16A, however I’ve no idea how much influence this has on the performance of the radar.

grafik

7 Likes

3 years, take it or leave it.

2 Likes

If u think about it, doesnt it kinda suck that we’re more or less gonna get the same types of missiles as the US when 5th gen does come?

like, not to say the AMRAAM is bad, but if we actually had the JNAAM, we would be clapping SU 57s all day a whole lot better.

Yeah, though sadly we’ll be stuck with not even the best AMRAAM and 9X for the F-35.

Perhaps if they accept any of the F-X 5th gen designs as unfinished prototypes we could get AAM-4B and AAM-5B on them. Otherwise we’ll just need to wait for GCAP to come around.

Spoiler

GCAP 6th gen fighter project

23-26DMU designs for F-X 5th gen fighter
main-qimg-0586ba9056a02646088a5d16f332417f-lq
Mitsubishi F-X 25DMU
Mitsubishi F-X 26DMU

Scale models of 23DMU, 24DMU and 26DMU used for testing

Center fuselage section and weapons bay of either 25DMU or 26DMU
20230414_150631

XF9-1 engine that was to be used with these aircraft, as well as XVN3-1 3D thrust vectoring system for it
atla-enginejapanesministryofdefensepromo

4 Likes

Well, we’re getting 2 versions of the AMRAAM (C & D in this case), which imo is pretty alright for BVR.

But if gaijin does something crazy enough, we could even get an F22 in this tree since japan wanted it in the 90s, but i could be coping here on behalf of paper planes…

I don’t think that would happen but who know with gaijin. I am just think about yf-23

We’d probably get AIM-120C-5, C-7 and C-8, as those are the ones Japan actually had. Similarly the AIM-9X would be limited to Block II, not Block III the US can get.

(Edit: I was dumb, 120C-8 is 120D)

Possible, but I’d say a Japanese 5th gen fighter would probably be more likely than that considering Gaijins unfinished prototype rules (at least for suggestions).

If we go by F-16AJ standards though there was even an F-22 modernized with F-35 tech offered to Japan before GCAP was selected for cooperation. I don’t think it ever got past the proposal, but neither did the F-16AJ.
I believe YF-23 was also offered as well.

2 Likes

The first medium-range missiles with ARH seekers will be the French MICA, Chinese PL-12, American AIM-120, Russian R-77, Japanese AAM-4, Israeli Derby and South African R-Darter.

Looks like next update we’re getting the AAM-4, which also means whatever we’re getting is Japanese native (most likely F-15J MSIP since they show an F-15C shooting an AIM-120).

4 Likes

Are the Japanese F35s gonna get anything better than just AMRAAMs considering the range of certain Chinese missiles like the PL-15 and with their new F35Bs arriving this year?

Cuz they’re kinda fucked in this scenario…

1 Like

Unless there’s more information about the JNAAM, then it’ll likely get AIM-120s.

1 Like

Unfortunately, i think its cancelled as it’s mainly an r&d program and also production was blocked by France. They could buy meteors tho, but the AIM-120D should be a pretty good missile for them.

But should I grind the American or Japanese tech tree considering their future content like a potential thai sub tree for Japan?

1 Like

Typical Frenchies. There’s a reason why most joint programs with them go into development hell.

1 Like

I doubt they will just buy meteors. The original point of JNAAM is it was much easier and cheaper to integrate their seeker tech on a meteor than it was to do on an AMRAAM as well as the Meteor being slated for TR4 integration. It would be much easier to just continue with the Shin-MRM/XAAM-6 and look for F-35 integration there.

1 Like

For the next 10 years or so, the AIM-120 series will be the medium-range air-to-air missiles installed on Japan’s F-35s. A new next-generation medium-range air-to-air missile appears to be in development, and it is said to be for the GCAP (F-3).

1 Like

Might seem a lil counterintuative, but should i grind US, Japan or both alongside Russia?

i must say the big 3 first. GER>USSR=US if your aim is the top tier german ground is the peak right now, USSR/US is mosty a preference. do you want a “jack of all trade” is US, more protection and W rusher is USSR. even if you went halway they still have some unique tanks or plane in WW2.

back to your question probably USSR and US first. JPN is not really in a good spot right now at GRB. you mostly become a filler in the match facing against GER, SE, and USSR or US. you most likley screwed when that happen

I mostly play arb and aab

Also is Britain worth grinding?