Fix the F-14b radar

It was always like that, the PD mode is head-on only.
Plus it’s notched was more easily than the F-4Js radar

Which is interesting considering Tomcat has one of most powerful radar you can find in game.

Also if i remember correctly notch zone should better then F4-J

Not really, while it is a technologically more advanced radar set, the advancements were mostly made in regards to it’s modes.
They, as in the F-4J and F-14A radars, are implemented very, very correctly, probably the most accurate representations of any radars we have in game

Thanks for the information.

Then all they have to do is to fix current TWS issue.

1 Like

Not really, i haven’t been able to find any info regarding the radar not being able to detect targets in Rear aspect, the Radar refuses to lock a target at 3 KMS in ACM PD in Rear Aspect , the f14 should be able to multi track and launch multiple Phoenix Missiles at once on multiple targets ,the radar was pretty good when it came out on the f14 ,they made their $$ on the hype and then nerfed to the ground which is unfortunate .

yes, thats because the AWG-9 is HPRF, this means significant clutter is generated in rear aspect.

I still think the most annoying things about the F-14’s radar are:

1. The TCS not working as it should, not even close
  2. The RIO literally isnt doing his job

I gotta make a suggestion for mouse designated radar locks (like the MiG-29 HMD PD) but at any range to simulate the pilot(you) talking to the RIO(useless dead weight that only makes you a bigger target atm) about what radar target you want to lock on.

I also need to make a suggestion to make the RIO’s ability to maintain a lock in clutter and other unfavorable conditions improve along with the gunner level, seeing as IRL a good RIO could find/maintain locks manually that even some MPRF radars could not at the time.

there was valid sourcework to prove it had a notch gate of 200m/s correct?

having a rio has no bearing on detection lol?

The RIO can manually designate targets in clutter on occasion with the AWG-9, ill try to find a source for ya later but im a tad too busy to do some digging around atm

the radar is still limited by being HPRF, you cant pick out targets in clutter, thats the whole point of clutter. You can adjust the notch gate yes, doesnt mean a dude in the back can just generate returns out of thin air.

Doesn’t matter, the HPRF radar should be able to track rear aspect targets that are against ground clutter.

not if its within F0 clutter?

This is from the F-4 Phantom manual with the PD radar.

Despite the F-4 Phantom looking down at a target in ground clutter while in rear aspect, the detection range is nearly as good as the frontal range. A report was submitted on this. Likely the more powerful and more modern F-14B radar will be similar. All HPRF radars should be able to see against ground clutter in rear aspect just fine so long as there’s a positive closure rate.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1075290480931250237/1138238869658144838/2023-02-27_6.png

1 Like

Frontal aspect range - 40km

Rear aspect range - 38km

Look at the speed difference…

Yes, you can conclude from the chart that the speed difference won’t make much of a difference.

With a closure rate of Mach 0.4 in rear aspect against ground clutter, the radar range is 38km.

However, with a much higher closure rate of Mach 2 in front aspect against ground clutter, the radar range only increased by 2km.

thats not how clutter works…

Enlighten me?