After that last update where the Fox-3s were buffed, the AIM-54C+s have become useless. The difference was literally noticeable overnight!
I experienced this firsthand, as I used to fly with it every day. Since they take a long time to accelerate, current missiles like the AMRAAM-120 and R-77 reach their targets much faster; by the time the 54C+ arrives, the target has already been shot down.
I spoke with some colleagues, and they confirmed that the same thing is happening to them. In other words, after the latest Sky Odyssey update, the F-14s have once again become useless. And that’s really sad. They don’t have a place in the game.
Honestly, I don’t know how Gaijin intends to solve this “eternal” problem of the F-14’s uselessness—especially considering there’s a premium version now, yet the experience with it is still terrible.
They can’t without redesigning air RB, but I also don’t think that would fully solve the issue of a Dodge or die missile.
Their strength comes from being able to force the other players/team to dodge a missile or die, and forcing half a team to lose their position is incredibly powerful. This is especially true for the fakour where you need to dodge immediately and sacrifice a ton of position/alt/speed, or risk dying very quickly after)
They also can’t go down or else they would just be too good, or atleast too awful to fight against (being forced to defend 24/7 isn’t fun).
I agree, however the issue is that making the whole enemy team lose speed and position isn’t rewarding to the average F-14 player, either in terms of enjoyment or SL/RP despite the impact it can have on the outcome of the match .
Giving the 13.0 ones AIM-7Ps would be more useful then the AIM-54 now that the drag reductions for other radar missile have nullified much of the AIM-54s range advantage (especially when you have F-15Es on your team most of the time).
Of course with out actual decompression any changes will largely be meaninless.
If I’m not wrong 13.0 aim54 are easy to dodge and most experienced players won’t lose much of position there good against people who aren’t aware of their surroundings or don’t know what notching is
Edit:well I can see attack jets losing speed and time so I see your point their now that I think about it
Losing 20+ seconds of positioning is huge in top tier. Being forced to lose a significant amount of energy/speed makes it a lot harder to perform well.
Well I shouldn’t make it seem like it doesn’t interfere with time/positioning but my point was for fighters mainly especially those with low rcs and or good CMs and good FM I wish we had a f14 at 13.3-13.7(decompression)with aim120A so I can compete with 13.7-14.0 jets and not worry about seal cubbing or feeling useless to the team
And f14Ds should have aim-7p-2