F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

F15C BOL pods when?

I didn’t make that list. However the EF-18M is still a legacy hornet airframe (it’s an upgraded EF-18A, which in turn is based on the F-18A).

The Super Horner Family have a substantially different airframe (and larger in every dimension), which is why they are considered two different families of aircraft:

5 Likes

The mid life upgrade program makes it no longer a legacy aircraft. As by definition its an aircraft no longer in production. The upgrade program is still in production so it doesn’t fit.

What if the airframe is a Legacy Hornet it is fine is this thread

In the context of the F-18 the term “Legacy Hornet” does not refer to how old it is or whether it is in production; it simply refers to the type of airframe design used. If the aircraft is based on the original F/A-18 airframe it is known as a “Legacy Hornet”, if it based on the heavily reworked F-18E/F airframe it is known as a “Super Hornet”. Because the two airframes a very different (and each have their own pros / cons) it’s useful to have an easy way to differentiate them so people know what type of Hornet you are referring to.

7 Likes

Upgrade programs are not legacy fighters. Otherwise then the Mig-35 would be a legacy fighter since its a Mig-29 airframe, it is not a legacy fighter.

Yes, but as I said the term legacy does not refer to the fighter, it refers specifically to the type of airframe.

Ultimately whether you personally like it or not “Legacy Hornet” and “Super Hornet” are the official terms used to describe the two types of F-18 airframes. They’re not something made up on this forum, they’re the official terms used by the US military and countless other organisations.

6 Likes

I can’t think USN F/A-18A, F/A-18A+ & F/A-18C it’s jet fighter/naval aircraft or strike aircraft/naval aircraft on stat card

F/A-18A basic from USN located to USN fighter or strike aircraft ? 🤔

Pretty much what Flame said
“Legacy Hornet” - Any A/B/C/D variant
“Super Hornet” - E/F/G variants

I think the F/A-18C will go after the Tomcat
Performance wise worse but whole lotta AMRAAMs (should they choose to allow it maximum load out)

I wouldn’t say worse performance. The F-18C with the GE-402 engines can still out-rate the F-16C… but now it also has fantastic high alpha capability and good stability.

1 Like

I meant compared to Tomcat
But then again… If what you say is true, would make for an interesting aircraft
I’ll remain cautiously optimistic

Upgrade variants are not legacy models, and often include airframe upgrades. The F18+ (EF-18M) is not a legacy Hornet.

The EF-18M is not an A/B/C/D after Boeing is done with it:

It is Legacy airframe still

7 Likes

It is not a legacy airframe. The airframe is different, both structurally and exterior wise. Hence its an F18M or F18+ now and not an F18-A anymore.

By this same logic the Mig-35 is a legacy aircraft (it isn’t). That isn’t how it works.

The MiG-35 airframe is not upgraded from older models, it is an entirely new-build aircraft akin to the difference between F-18C and F-18E.

The F-18M as you call it is still a modified legacy hornet airframe.

8 Likes

It still the same airframe, must be a legacy vehicle by your logic.

I want my Legacy F22A since they are no longer producing the air frames.

No, it isn’t. The entire basic structure and design has changed but the shape remains somewhat similar. There are almost no interchangeable parts.

Is there an F-22C/D/E with new airframe that exists to justify the term legacy for the initial model?

4 Likes

Oh… Like the F18-M. Nice to see we agree. Otherwise they wouldn’t be carrying Taurus 350 on them.

No. The F-18M is an F-18A or F-18C with modifications to the original airframe. It is not a new-build with new structures or basic design. The parts are cross-compatible.

Stop the act, drop the nonsense.

5 Likes