F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

No F15C Devblog? Wanna have a new wallpaper :)

6 Likes

Here you go

Spoiler

3 Likes

Fair enough. Love this one hahaha

New f-15 is literally unplayable. Look at it’s tail.

What do you mean by that?

Do it for dale.

4 Likes

Tail number of a plane from another squadron.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the F15C have BOL pods?

So after messing around with the A, wasn’t this getting a RAID mode and a PSP added to it’s radar, nothing of the sort exists in game, it just no longer has SRC now.

Its gets some sort of “RAM” or attempt

In the first engagement you see RAM getting used. It helps resolve targets closed together( within) less than 2.5°(BEAMWIDTH, which is 3° ingame) apart.

Ingame its just a “TWS” centered on the priority target with a very small scan zone(15°) and you can switch between targets. What it is not implemented is that you get a ZOOMed view you get when you enter RAM mode. On the video you can clearly see the targets spaced apart in distanceand azimuth(±7.5°) in the VSD, he then goes to search and you see targets just cluttered together where its impossible to asses the situation.

If the priority target is less than 15NM the azimuth zoom is ±7.5° and when above 15NM its ±5° around it. It also shows other targets within ±5 Nautical Miles the priority one.

To enter it you gotta go to STT then switch mode if I’m not mistaken.

4 Likes

The RAM mod was unpopular with pilots and was soon to be replaced.

Would be nice if there was an option for the scan zone to span the entire radar screen.

Yep so its there only when you get a STT lock but it cant do SARH guidance.

Whats the point of this then given you cant employ weapons beyond heaters with it?

That and the radar is still missing it’s name change.

yeah it should. The question is… will it get them?

Yes

You have to lock a target, and then hit ‘switch radar mode’ which will put you into a TWS track on that target. It’s good for slinging 9Ms off bore without hard radar pinging

Situational awareness. Don’t think its modelled but if 2 targets are close together at roughly the same speed, on your radar display you’ll get a single target. That’s why planes in combat fly as close as possible. To break them out and sort with your wingman who will fire what. You can see on the video that he actually switched lock to the rear target.
Due to the beamwidth, at 60km the radar cell is 2.6 kilometers wide. You can fit a whole flight of 4 or 8 enemy fighters close together and you’d go attacking it with your wingman thinking its just one only to find out you’re outnumbered 2 to 1 or 4 to 1

Ingame I’ve used it to quicky scan and target the one going for me in the cluster as in RWS I don’t get shown velocity vecotors but bars. Spend less time going back to search and trying to designated the correct one.

I would not say unpopular, just phased out as TWS was better and got introduced in 1985. Just no need for it when the other one gives much more information regarding the targets without a need to alert the enemy with an STT.

1 Like

Such an issue is not really a thing in game beyond AI blobs and in that situation even if you fire a AIM-9 at them the seeker will still bounce between targets and the boon of RAM selecting a singular target cant help with the likes of the AIM-7.

This seems like something that could be accomplished in SRC PD with far less effort.

You aren’t using it properly nor how to use it, it’s not TWS. The engagement flow chain is different. It’s meant to help you keep SA to some extent.

No. Without it, to see a another target close by you’d need to drop lock, search the airspace again, wait for the bar to pass by, select it, acquire it, assess the situation, drop lock, search the airspace again, select the previous target and acquire it.

Instead with RAM, you just switch to RAM and assess the situation, switch lock or remain with the one you have. Easy and takes less time.

I see no greater situational awareness gain against SRC PD or TWS.

You can already read the information of all targets tracked by SRC PD or even better TWS by simply swapping between targets and reading your display, I still see no tangible gain from using this system over the already existing functions of the radar.

To that same end, loosing SRC against flanking targets for this is a massive issue as well, as none of your search modes will allow you to acquire lock without changing aspect.

As others have already stated, it makes sense why this mode was quickly phased out for standard TWS and PD search modes.