F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

The AWG-9 is set to a max of 6 targets, so maybe just balance

Its first name is Nota, last name bug.

1 Like

What is this on the F-15C? F-15J has one of these and I’ve seen in these threads these are supposed to be some kind of radar missile warning sensors?

1 Like

Lol, what’s the middle name, then?

Doesn’t have one, it got Gaijin’d.

@Smin1080p
BEsides this bug which has been on for 2 months already of the sparrow exploding once it flies more than 50km despite having more than 30 seconds of life left Community Bug Reporting System

Can someone please review the detection range in HPRF RWS? But not stepanovich. He uses the range given on the soviet manual of the F15 and foreign aircraft handbook despite lots and lots of primary proof which I find egregious and not inline with what was stated a while ago

2024-06-11 (2)
2021-01-16 (3)

"rcs": 3.0,
 "range": 100000.0,
 "rangeMax": 120000.0,

You have this which uses the apg 63 case study and APG-66 data runs for the specific purpose to test the detection ranges. 7th grade math will allow you to find the range of the APG-63(psp). 77 Nautical Miles Detection range for a 2m^2 target.

Forgot I had these

Further more there is flight test runs against T-33s for the purpose of detection range years before the F-15 entered Service. This is from 1974 Design and approach presentation. TF-15A era.

Here the T-33 are detected frontally at a nominal range of ~65 Nautical Miles in a LOOKDOWN SITUATION with reliability and ranges may go up to 87 Nautical miles aswell in a LOODOWN situation. This 65NM range figure is already much much higher than what we have ingame.

Mind you this is 1974, pre IOC. The F-15 entered Service in 1977 and has several hardware changes. IN 1978 one year after IOC the reciever amplifier module was replaced.
2024-06-11 (6)
2024-06-11 (5)
And as you can see range got increased ~20% in HPRF. Do the 7th grade math and you’ll find that the got got increased to 78 NM. This is PRE-PSP update, and PSP was a major hardware update in 1979.

Now the question is, what is the RCS of a T-33. Thankfully there’s data for this.
2024-06-11 (7)
Here you can see the experimental (half scale modela and adjusted for numerical)is 0 dBsm and theoretical 3.3 dBsm. In m^2 the RCS is 1m^2 for experimental and 2.15^m^2 at 8.8 GHz emitter frequency vertical polarization. Take 2m^2, it falls within the range stated OF the first different method.

Both of these are show practically the same range for the radar at by an up to date(1980) F15A/C. Which are ALL F15s ingame. and much more range than what currently is.

Multiple report have been done by my part an others. Here’s the last one where it was just ignored. Community Bug Reporting System.

5 Likes

Do you know what “long range boresight modes” refers to here? Is it just boresight with a higher range than 10 NM?

I was planning to make a report on the Russian radar HMS Radar lock limit (it should not have a 10 km limit), and on the later APG-66/68 versions (boresight limit is raised to 40 NM) if I can find publicly available info.
So maybe reporting more aircraft could shift the opinion

1 Like

Should be the same 40 N.M.

Do you know which document and page it is at?

post 87’ -34s and good luck with that

yall, gaijin does not like long range boresigthing you won’t get far with it.

Yeah, that’s my bug report.
Requested more modes, scan patterns, super search, and they gave me 6 bars TWS :)) (and the 100 Nautical mile range)

Hence, why I am trying to find info on more different planes that had it.
Maybe they don’t want to have that long of a range for boresight/HMS because they think only very few planes have that ability and it will shift the scale of balance too much.

So far I have :

• Later variants of APG-66/68 have the limit raised to 40 NM
  • APG-63 has it 40 NM (haven’t seen the evidence yet, but will look at it later)
  • N019s, N010s, N001s should also have no limit (just the usual MPRF range limit), but it will take me an essay of a proof to write (pretty hard to prove lack of limit, if it isn’t explicitly mentioned)

They are also using tertiary sources from Russia to model the F-5E which cause it to outperform the real world F-20 Tigershark but hey, whateveh

That is an F-15E, 91-331

Is that manual even available?

APG-63

Boresight
The boresight (BST) mode causes the antenna to cease scanning, move to the aircraft boresight line
(straight ahead), and stop. The first target (shortest range) to cross through the main beam is locked-
on to (acquired), and the track function begins. Boresight uses all MPRF and is good out to 10 NMI.
Pressing the AUTO ACQ/REJECT switch forward twice in less than one second selects boresight.
Long range boresight
Long range boresight (LRBST) acts exactly the same as boresight does. The only difference is that
long-range boresight uses interleaved PRF and has a range of 40 NMI. Holding the AUTO
ACQ/REJECT switch forward for longer than one second selects long-range boresight.

Track-while-scan
TWS modes provide a wide-angle coverage, multi-target detection and track capability. The TWS
modes maintain up to 10 target track files while continuing to detect and display up to 18 more (half-
intensity) observation targets.

1 Like

According to the dark grey colour and CFT it is an F-15E.
These are the antenna covers for the TEWS system, which is a jamming/RWR system.
The more modern variant is called DEWS and now EPAWWS.
The antenna covers often vary in shape depending on the upgrades.

2 Likes

Where are the indications that the average target is 2 m2, not 3?

Just below it