Eagle Twin 35mm Mobile Air Defense System

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Eagle 35mm Mobile Anti Air

Introduction

The Eagle Anti Air was a twin 35 mm mobile air defense system developed by US company Ares Inc. in the 1970s under a contract with the Imperial Iranian Army. The goal for Iran was to protect strategic assets such as oil fields, bridges, and refineries, from aerial threats, with plans for local production in Iran and potential export. The turreted system was mounted on a modified M548 tracked carrier and featured a modular turret design adaptable to different vehicles. Development began in the mid-1970s and included a new 35 mm Talon automatic cannon, designed by Eugene Stoner, at the time president of Ares Inc., renowned for his work in small-arms design.

The system was extensively tested, with a 28,000 rounds fired during trials. The centrepiece of the Eagle was the Ares Inc. Talon 35mm Autocannon. The Talon utilized a unique dual-feed system with two drum magazines, each capable of holding 280 rounds. The 35mm Autocannons had a high muzzle velocity of 1,175 m/sec, a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute per barrel, and an effective anti-aircraft range of 4,000 meters. The cannons utilised pre-existing 35mm Oerlikon ammunition, and had a selection of APDS, SAPHEI, HE, and practice rounds.

Mounted on a modified M548 tracked carrier, the system could either be remotely operated from a distance of up to 100 metres, or the gunnery equipment could be included on board and fired from within the vehicle. The vehicle was stabilised by 3 deployable hydraulic legs, although these were not necessary for firing, just preferable. The turret was capable of firing instantly when mounted on a tracked chassis. The turret could receive guidance from external radar units but did not house one itself.

The project was ultimately halted due to the fall of the Shah of Iran, which led to the cancellation of the contract, and no further export customers could be found. However, the Talon cannon’s design did not end here, with Mauser obtaining a license for further development under contract, potentially to replace the Oerlikon 35 mm cannon used on the Gepard.

Specifications

Spoiler

Vehicle

Eagle 35mm Mobile Anti Air specs

Ammunition

Eagle 35mm Mobile Anti Air Ammo

Images

Spoiler

Eagle 35mm Mobile Anti Air

An unmodified M548 carrier

Sources

Spoiler

Jane’s Land Based Air Defence, 1989-90 p.096-097 (available here)

Janes Armour & Artillery1985-1986 p.550 (available here)

International Defence Review 1980/1 p.093 (available here)

General reading on the hull

8 Likes

+1 but since it has SAP and APDS, I don’t think we can expect to see it below 8.0 even though it doesn’t have a radar since it would pretty much be an American Falcon.

4 Likes

In fairness, consider that in this case, both hull and turret are less suited for the kind of close range brawl the Falcon is infamous for.

It would be more vulnerable, more conspicuous, unwieldy, and probably less mobile.

1 Like

Hell yes! USA really needs some more SPAA, quite desperately

2 Likes

1.5kg SAP and APDS

oh lord

3 Likes

Which is why I said 8.0 and not 8.3, which is the Falcon’s BR. It trades mobility and handling for more punch. I’m certain the difference between 30mm and 35mm will be felt.

2 Likes

Pretty common photo, but since it wasn’t in the suggestion I figured I’d share.
eagle1

Easily better performance over the M163, no doubt about that, but lack of radar and lower ammo count than the Gepard prevents it from being too high up. I could see a BR of 8.0, not useful in filling the rank IV gap of course but an excellent rank V SPAA more in line with what other nations have to offer. Easy +1 for an interesting cold war American SPAAG.

6 Likes

Would be quite interesting to see at 8.0, a worthy replacement of the m163

1 Like

Hopefully, if the brit falcon is lowered to make room for a new spaa, this spaa could be seen at 8.0, etc.

It would be a nice vehicle to have between the M163 and M247 for sure, as that in and of itself is a bit of a gap. +1

U mean M247?

Yes, thank you.

+1, Oerlikon KDA to every NATO country

Nothing against this vehicle but I just think the XM246 is just a better choice for the game