Do boosters really affect your matchmaking?

I know the stigma is that when you activate a 500% booster you’re just going to get placed in a full up tier with the most cracked enemies and an idiot team. But is that really the case?

1 Like

They don’t. The human brain has a tendency to remember negative events more than positive ones. It makes sense that it does this, it’s a survival instinct to make sure that you remember dangerous things, but it means that people will remember the bad instances they had with boosters more than the good ones. When you combine that with confirmation bias, you get a situation where people will take a few uptiers with boosters as proof that boosters affect your matchmaking, even though they don’t.

It also matters that certain BRs for certain nations tend to get uptiered more than others.

8 Likes

Yeah it’s just a psychological thing. Most people get nervous when they use a booster which causes them to play badly. Which is the main reason why people get ‘Gaijined’ when they use a booster. Youtubers mostly created this myth.
While using a booster if you can convince your brain that you aren’t using the booster then you can enjoy your game as usual.

3 Likes

True. It’s a combination of nervousness and that in circumstances like these, people expecting something bad to happen makes it more likely that it will.

There’s another psychological phenomenon that plays into this too called pareidolia. Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon where if the brain goes looking for patterns, it’ll find them, even if they’re not actually there, and that helps play into the confirmation bias.

2 Likes

They do, but those research ones, not lions to be exact. It ain’t matter of luck nor low game number. After hundreds of games with RPs it’s so clear for me. I’m no longer looking for them - RP booster with fuked team roster gives no better score.

It could just be that people wanted to maximize their booster potential so they become more aggressive or are too scared and played super passively, just use the booster and pay no mind to it, play the game like you normally would.

I’ve been paying attention to my first hour of matches every day I play and I have noticed a disturbing trend of very bad matchmaking and sucky matches. I usually get 0-30% win rate for the first 5 matches or so. This is the time many people activate their boosters (including me, if I see one that is about to expire).
I’ve been playing quite a bit since last summer again, after taking a break for 9 months and for like 7 months my daily win average was at very low 40%. One of the reasons I stopped playing before was the low 40% win rate month after month. I even wrote about it for the first time about 5+ years ago.
I had a 68% win rate overall with about 7-8,000 matches and then the suck has started and I dropped to 52% overall with bit over 17,000 matches. You can’t imagine the suck I had to endure. Never ending 12+ losses in a row for days and days… losses after losses and never ending suck. Strangely, after all this, this month my win average is around 60%, so something has changed.

Well, I’m writing about all of this, as activating boosters during that time didn’t help and with all these losses I had a bigger chance of losing the game with a booster running, just because of my average loss rate. Don’t know, if this suck is over, so I will have to keep monitoring these trends every time I play. The constant uptiers are still a thing and I rarely get a match in my 5.0 destroyers that is not 5.7 uptier. Very annoying and is not right with a properly implemented matchmaker.

They are cursed

We had three thoughtful and correct answers… only to have the thread necroed and dive into tinfoil, astounding.

You just need more experience or simply note your matches and see long term stats. Almost noone does it, psycho might be one of the reasons but hell, never to this size.