[Development] Discussing reports related to the Challenger 2 MBT

In WT 90m had a rotor however the cr2 and 99A didn’t have it

I read it wrong lol

4.PNG

Don’t let gaijin see these, they’ll find a way to nerf the CH2 more somehow

18 Likes

I mean tbf he is talking about the BV which doesn’t even have thermals I believe so the optics comparison is quite obvious

2 Likes

in war thunder it would probably get thermals xd

I mean, T-80B has thermals in War Thunder xD (because ONE T-80B was fitted with them for trials).

4 Likes

You know, i always wondered, if one tank was enough to justify replacing NVD with TVD, i wondered if 2 Challengers 2 mounting TISP (TVD Gen2 → Gen 3) would be enough to justify adding Gen 3 TVD upgrade to Cr2s in game. Would getting info on them be enough or it would be “No a bug” as it was not mounted on any version present in game.

8 Likes

So as it currently stands on the dev server: the implementation of the changes talked about in this devblog was done as the devs intended like the aluminium backing plate while all reports regarding this devblog have been completly ignored.

5 Likes

nothing new then… remember, the snail hasn’t changed.

still going with the “we know better than you” approach.

Dev server everything is unfinished. They are still have work to do on the hull but the turret has improved a LOT

It’s not perfect, there are holes modelled in the mounting block but for about 50% of the mantlet the best round Russia has just shatters. And I couldn’t find a single hole in the turret cheeks in my testing.

I should also add the mantlet seems more vulnerable to heatfs then apfsds because of heatfs broken mechanics, same with the roof which is nearly impervious to crew damage unless using heatfs which goes right though the roof killing commander etc.

3 Likes

its very nice you can see that they have put in effort and are still putting more in, granted its taken years but better late than never :p

1 Like

Yeah, even in its unfinished form its probably the best turret in the game now or on a par with 2a7 frontally

1 Like

Like i said they implemented changes exactly how they were talking about in this devblog, that means positive changes like the mantlet which of course is still unfinished but go into the right direction.

BUT this also means they implemented the more BS changes which were refuted by loads of bug reports per example the material and thickness of the TES/OES armour backing plate alongside the protection values of ASPRO HMT which seems rather final.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/hUjNza9bvJyP
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/LIQZc0VjpdM4
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/POJj1VwLKZRk

ALL these reports have been made a moth ago in response to THIS devblog but yet the devs decided to just ignore them and push the changes regarding the sides of TES and OES like they explained in this blog

1 Like

Id argue on par with 2A7 as i imagine the turret roof weakspot is still is still present just above the breach that spalls and kills the entire turret crew, but if it improves further it could be easily the strongest ingame.

I found really heatfs is the problem there for crew not so much solid munitions.

in my experience ive had just about everything be a problem in that spot as it doesnt trigger the spall liners basically exploiting the gap which iirc shouldnt exist just above the breach.

Yeah seems better on the dev as I mentioned above but it’s definitely a weak spot. I’m not sure how the Spall liners are modelled for each country but the chally Spall liners seem very inefficient compared to their peers of that just me?

there is supposed to be ones around the entire hull side and LFP aswell but they arent modeled for w/e reason so

1 Like

Hello @Smin1080p i know you are not here, and i know im bringing the dead back to life but im here to talk about the ASPRO-HMT again. Developers use this picture as a reference for STANAG protection
That is what is used for
However if we go a little further in the document we find this
Where we can find how things like single armour pieces are measured, that includes the ASPRO

As well as types of targets that can be take place in the test

ASPRO would fall under Fully engineered target that

After that we move to

That leaves us with a fact that targets like armour parts or ERA/NERA blocks just like ASPRO- HMT are shot at their front, not the front of the thing they will be mounted on, just like here

Also mandatory table with protection

And the brochure stating the STANAG level

The brochure states that ASPRO-HMT design is based on the Bradley add-on armor and is using the same concept and technologies. Internal structure of the Bradley add-on armour tiles can be seen on this picture, consisting of tilted passive armour plates with explosive material around them, further strenghtening the STANAG 5 rating for the ASPRO-HMT.

I hope that materials i have provided above will be able to show that the current interpetations of measuring STANAG level and ASPRO-HMT protection are incorrect and the developers will take a second look at all the materials provided to them by the community, leading to making the game as accurate as possible.

Source

28 Likes

mantlet seems to be reduced a lot now in effective protection. not sure what changed but it kinda feels like the live turret right now.

2 Likes