[Development] Battle Pass Vehicles: M551(76)

Walker Bulldog is one of my favourite vehicles thanks to APDS.

Is the 76 mm the only thing that differs from the current M551 at rank VI?

Yeah, sadly, it’s probably going to be one of the Payed BP vehicles and not a free one, especially with it being one I would enjoy having. Is what is it I guess.

In the game? Probably.
In reality it was just a mockup to see if the gun would fit in the turret. Didn’t have power controls etc. IIRC from the Hunnicutt’s Sheridan book, it was never even fired.

1 Like

Would it get HEAT? APDS is good but sometimes just sucks

It would not have been called “M551(76)”. At the time it was still “XM551”. /nit

Remember getting a lot of fun from German Bulldog at 6.3 with APDS and HEAT FS I was penetrating everything

1 Like

I just can’t see the 76mm apds post pen damage being any good personally

1 Like

They will add this eventually

1 Like

If it will get HEAR alongside APDS it is worth it. Probably 7.3 max tank would be super

1 Like

It’ll be 8.0 i bet

1 Like

I don’t think so, APDS has 300mm of pen flat and HEAT-FS would be 250 flat. They should have it 76mm APFSDS and put it on 8.3 and it would also be fun.

AUBL is 8.0 with enormous speed, stabilizer and APFSDS so I don’t know if 76mm Sheridan is good enough for 8.0 with less speed and worse ammo choice

We’ll have to see :D

1 Like

Gaijin really doesn’t want to give out another rank V do they.

The entire gun replacement program is online
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/AD0814948.pdf
All 4 variants were fired, the entire program was a massive rush to test fire them and it was just over 2 weeks from the inital request to the first firing trial

The vast majority of the components seem to have been fully fleshed out and operational on all of them.

Well, its been about 20 years since I read it…

M41s received a turret rotation nerf because the Technical Manual that is applicable to both the M41 and M41A1 states the minimum powered traverse but no-one noticed so it was assumed it was the maximum powered traverse.

And even when I made a bug report pointing this out, after the creator of the original bug report sent a request at Gaijin to revert the change, it was ignored.

Also, it is a misconception that the M41A1 had faster turret traverse. It had a superior turret drive, which took up less space and allowed for more ammunition stowage, but both the M41 and M41A1 had maximum turret traverse of 36 degrees per second.

4 Likes

the apds on the m41 is doshit, by virtue of being apds

Not all APDS is created equal, and M331A2 is one of the better ones.

Though I will concede that it can be janky at times.