[Development] Battle Pass Vehicles: M551(76)

With rank 8 being a thing having rank 5 premiums in the BP makes sense. Also I’m kinda getting tired of seeing every American light tank be event or battlepass.

1 Like

Yes, but.
It is experimental.

I saw that lately,…

Real.
I haven’t played the bulldog in forever but I remember the APDS being mid at best

Given how M464 preforms on the M41D, I would rather take a lower BR and only APDS/HEAT than a higher BR with M464.

1 Like

The best North American light vehicles continue to arrive as event vehicles…

Those yacht payments aren’t going to pay themselves.

Too bad but what we can do, maybe they will add more Bradleys but they rushed A3 then and now everything would be just sidegrade.

We could get one or both vehicles from the MPF “Mobile Protected Firepower” program.

BAE XM1302, essentially a modernized M8 AGS
F5tuq9KasAAKlqM

Or GDLS Griffin II (adopted as M10 Booker)

As for IFVs, GDLS and Rheinmetall are currently working on their respective vehicles for the OMFV program.

GDLS Griffin III
griffin3

The Rheinmetall vehicle will be based on KF41 Lynx, built in cooperation with Raytheon. The design is still in the works.

@Gaijin pls add after HSTVL

2 Likes

I wonder for what US Army adopted vehicle like this, low operational range of 300km(Stryker 500km), only 105 smoothbore but with possibility to mount autoloader and 120, not as fast as the Stryker, and with non existent protection(same as Stryker) but Stryker has unmanned turret.
I could only found that gun only fires APDS spin stabilized so anti armour capabilities are also poor.
So basically only financial decision?

It also is heavy AF(42t) and only good thing about this is SEP V3 FCS and CITV

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know if this vehicle fits into any of the traditional categories we’re used to when discussing modern vehicles.

AFAIK the decision to go with 105mm gun was due to it’s primary role, infantry support. A 105mm gun has enough HE payload to deal with fortifications, buildings, infantry etc. It is a compromise between explosive payload and ammunition capacity. One of the reasons to go with 105 is that you can carry more stowed rounds, allowing you to stay in the fight for longer.

Anti-armor can be thought of as a secondary concern, but even then the 105mm should still be able to destroy anything short of the most modern MBTs. The infantry you’re supporting may also have other anti-armor weapons, such as Javelin, to deal with the heaviest threats.

In terms of purpose and doctrine this isn’t really a light tank, but an assault gun, the modern equivalent of the StuG III.

Also, we don’t really know what level of protection it has, other than guesstimates based on it’s weight (42 tons)

I highly recommend Chieftain’s video on the M10 Booker

1 Like

Ohh I misunderstood something, rather than being a next Stryker MGS it will be adopted as next M551, now makes some sense. Armour is stated to protect against 30mm autocannon so basically not vehicle made to fight tanks, as you said. But still is a 42ton vehicle, Sheridan has 15tons and provided almost as much fire support and has anti armour capabilities (considering times when it served).

Oh definitely, weight is one of the more controversial aspects of this vehicle.

If we look past the armor, there may be other features responsible for the weight figure.

First off there’s the size. It’s bigger than BAE’s design, you can easily see the difference in width. This gives much better crew ergonomics, a very important quality that is too often overlooked.

In Chieftain’s inside the hatch video on the BAE vehicle you can see how cramped it is, there’s barely room to move your shoulders. The driver has to do some weird contortions to get in/out of his position.

Furthermore, larger internal volume gives more room for ammunition. Safe stowage of said ammunition also takes up weight.

Then again, it isn’t really any heavier than you’d expect from the size. I often see people bring up Leopard 1 so here is a comparison.

Dimensions of Leopard 1
Leo 1

Dimensions of M10 Booker
M10 booker

M10 is roughly a meter shorter, a little wider, but almost a meter taller.

Both are roughly 40 tons… makes sense to me. Leopard 1 isn’t known for it’s armor either.

Secondly, there may be a lot of technology stuffed inside the vehicle, systems we don’t know about yet. AFAIK the interior is classified, but supposedly very similar in appearance to Abrams.

1 Like

i will pray for this

Thank you for the correction. Sadly shows how lazy Gaijin is in fixing such issues

2 Likes

Can we slow down on the premiums and do some reruns instead? There’s literally dozens of premiums in the game that have only appeared once since they were released.

We have:

• BP premiums
  • Event premiums
  • GE premiums
  • $$$ premiums

WT is going to turn into WoT soon with more premiums than tech tree tanks. We’re already in a situation where vehicles that should have been tech tree tanks became premiums. M8 Greyhound and Centurion II for example.

5 Likes

the m331a2 is one of the better ones, i wouldnt say its good though. id still rather use every other shell APCR aside.

It all comes down to Gaijin implementing a system that creates Fomo and encourages spending high amounts of money in the store if you missed a vehicle or are started the game later.

1 Like

I think not using the 105mm Sheridan was a mistake

1 Like