Daimler DZR 19 mit 3,7 cm TAK System Fischer

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to suggest the Daimler DZR 19 mit 3,7 cm TAK System Fischer of which at least 3 were build. Its an interwar fully armored Truck armed with a turreted 3,7 cm Gun. (overall multiple models with different MG turrets existed). (Thanks for @Spr4yz for finding out about the vehicle.)

It would give a mobile good armored vehicle armed with an effective (for WW1) gun, which would be espeically interesting for a WW1-Interwar Mode, together with its 3 brothers of KD-I Geschützwagen, which in comparisson to this trade Armor for more firepower, beeing the KD-I Geschützwagen 19 with 7,7 cm Flak L/27, 7,7 cm Flak L/35 and 7,5 cm Flak 16 n.A. L/36. While its gun is relatively weak, the API-T ammo will certainly be enove against most WW1 tanks and Armored Cars, while also beeing a quite mobile and fast car, surviving most MG fire.

The Daimler DZR 19 is a fully armored Truck based on the KD-I, in different versions armed with a simple Pintle MG, or MG turrets and this version with a turreted 3,7 cm TAK System Fischer.

They were mainly used in the Interwar period by the Bavarian Freikorps

While at the end of WW1 the development and production of armored cars was neglected (as they had other problems to worry about), there were rather a lot of armed unrests, that even more flared up everywhere in the German Reich, with the law enforcement beeing over burdend, they saw an increased need for such amored vehicles. For that reason the Army handed over 50 Street armored cars to the police, According to the draft peace treaty, the German security forces were granted 150 vehicles.
While after the war with the Treaty of Versailles, germany wasnt allowed to have armed armored cars, but only 105 unarmed armored personell carriers. (this wasnt really the case)

Most of the vehicles were scrapped in early 1939, as far more modern and better vehicles were available and only a singe example survives to this day in the Panzermuseum Munster.

The development process was first completly based on the KD-I, which was however a HUGE vehicle, originally intended as a Artillery tractor and gun plattform, as such over the different models, the Wheel height as well as the whole chassis was heavily modified. As well as while the armor at first was relatively flat, over time it was more and more angled with the different models.

The Gun, the 3,7 cm TAK System Fischer is the rival designe to the WW1 requirement of a 3,7 cm Anti tank gun with the L/21,6 barrle of the 3,7 cm Revolver Kanone, while the Rheinmetall 3,7 cm TAK 1918 L/21,6 was a very simple fixed gun reusing as many parts as possible, the System Fischer was a more satisfactory new designe with even a Recoil System, but overall the same performance.

Pictures:(Click to show)

Later variants and surviving vehicle:

The Armarment:
5-6 Mg 08 (2 in each side, 1 at the backside of the turret), 1x 3,7 cm TAK System Fischer (~120 rounds) in a 360° Rotating turret at 25°/sec (Or more, could be also disengaged), -15° to + 25° elevation (?)

3,7 cm TaK 1918 L/21,8 (And Fischer) Ammo and more info:(Click to show)
Pictures:(Click to show)

3,7 cm TAK 1918 L/21,6

3,7 cm TAK L/21,6 System Fischer

Uses the standart 3,7 cm Naval ammo.
There were also 2 early cast iron shells, but they would simply be worse.

AP:

L'Spur.-Gr. L/2,5 (Stahl) (ApI-T) 0,465 kg 506m/s 22mm/10m

Can be conciddered ApI-T, duo to its huge tracer filling of Barium Nitrate, Magnesium and Shellac.
Screenshot 2024-08-06 191258
Screenshot 2024-08-06 191247

Pzgr. (A) (Aphe-T) 0,67 kg 10g Pent (17g TnTa) 435m/s-494m/s 18-21mm/10m

HE:

Sprgr. L/2,5 (Kz.) (He (Tracerless)) 0,47 kg 0,042kg Pieretic Acid (0,0462kg TnTa) 506m/s (Some AP performance)

Some AP Performance, as seen in the British Document, used against tanksup to 880 yards.
Also aparently a 2nd version with base plug, weight of 0,45kg and 0,04kg He Filler.
Screenshot 2024-08-02 140911
Screenshot 2024-08-02 140858

The Vehicle:
DZR 19
Weight: 10-12 ton
Engine: 100 Ps 4 Cylinder at 1200 rpm
Speed: 50-60 Km/h (4x4 Drive)
Crew: 10-12
Armor: 4-12mm (HHA)

Source:
Geschossringbuch I
Notes on German Shells 1918 (Second edition)
Von der Bürgerwehr zur Bundeswehr (Udo Elerd)
Die Kraftfahrzeuge der Polizei und des Bundesgrenzschutzes (Werner Oswald)
Kraftfahrzeuge und Panzer der Reichswehr (Werner Oswald)
Armored Cars one blogspot Jose Luis Castillo

1 Like

We’ve found it, the thinguer-booguer.

Found another nice close up picture.

If a WW1 line is added to the game, I see we have already some interesting stuff to add.

Good job @Ghostmaxi !

+1

1 Like