Chengdu FC-1, JF-17, History, Performance & Discussion

Introduction:

This topic is about the History, Performance & Discussion of Chengdu FC-1, JF-17.

English is not my native language, and the sources are also quite diverse, so if you have any suggestions please feel free.

Due to confidentiality reasons, I can only provide rough data, such as the names and approximate performance of radar, engines, and weapons.

By the way, you can already play JF-17 Block 1 at D_S :)

Chinese Air-To-Air missiles

As reference, this topic is about the Chinese Air-To-Air missiles,
Chinese Air-To-Air missiles, History, Performance & Discussion

FC-1 (枭龙, Xiao Loong):

Super 7 “Doom to Failure”

The FC-1 fighter jet project originated from the Super 7 program that emerged in the 1980s. At that time, Pakistan needed an advanced low-cost fighter jet, and China was also trying to expand weapons exports using Western technology. The two sides hit it off and began formal development. Pakistan called it the “Sabre” II, and China called it the J-7CP. After 1988, Grumman Corporation of the United States launched the Super 7 aircraft program and proposed a series of improvement suggestions. After 1989, American companies and some other Western countries withdrew from the plan.
The failure of Super 7 and “Sabre” II is almost inevitable, with Pakistan’s demands being too high and the price being too low, and Grumman Company also on the brink of danger, even proposing to use rebates from J-8 Peace Pearl to support the plan. Although the American companies that supported these two plans withdrew, they were ultimately completed in the hands of the Chinese. The spirit of Super 7 continued to be known as Chengdu FC-1, while “Sabre” II evolved into Guizhou FTC-2000.

Performance

• Engine: Unknown
  • Radar: Unknown
  • Air-To-Air Weapons: Unknown
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unknown

FC-1“Reincarnation”

After several twists and turns, the Super 7 finally regained its rebirth under the name FC-1. Unlike the original J-7 renovation plan, FC-1 is already a redesigned aircraft that uses Russia’s RD93 engine, with a thrust to weight ratio slightly less than 1, and integrates with China’s KJL-7 radar. The figure shows the early prototype of FC-1, and since the prototype 04, FC-1 has changed to use Diverterless supersonic inlet (FC-1 is actually the first fighter in service in the world to use Diverterless supersonic inlet), with a large strake wing design and an electronic equipment compartment installed on the vertical tail.

Performance

• Engine: RD-93
  • Radar: KLJ-7
  • Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-6x PL-5/PL-9, 0-4x SD-10
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unguide bomb/rocket, Guided Air-To-Surface weapons

FC-1B

FC-1B is a dual seater model of FC-1, which can better undertake ground strike and teaching and training tasks.

Performance

• Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-6x PL-5/PL-9, 0-4x SD-10

JF-17 (雷霆, Thunderbolt):

JF-17 Block 1“State Will”

JF-17 Block 1 is the first version of FC-1 purchased by Pakistan. Along with the purchase, Pakistan is also introducing a production line for FC-1 to develop its aviation industry. By 2023, Pakistan has been able to independently produce the vast majority of FC-1 components, except for key components. They are turning China’s “Xiao Loong” into their own “Thunderbolt”. The Block 1 model is already a Gen 4 light multi-purpose fighter that can carry export versions of the PL-5E II and PL-12, the SD-10A, during air combat. When striking the ground, it can carry AGMs such as C-701 and CM-802AKG, as well as common NATO standard LGBs. In addition, there is the BRM-1 90mm laser guided rocket.

Performance

• Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-6x PL-5E II, 0-4x SD-10A

JF-17 Block 2

The main improvement project of JF-17 Block 2 is the installation of Aerial refueling probe tube on the basis of Block 1, the enhancement of oxygen supply system to extend the pilot’s remaining time, and the upgrading of electronic countermeasures system. In addition, the airborne computer program and avionics system of JF-17 Block 2 have also been improved, which can better cooperate with the KLJ-7 X band Pulse Doppler Fire-control radar.

Performance

JF-17 Block 3 “Thunderbolt Counterattack”

JF-17 Block 3 is the latest “Thunderbolt”, for which Chengdu has upgraded radar, avionics and Fire-control system. The all-new KJL-7A is an AESA radar, providing Block 3 with superior situational awareness, as well as air and ground capabilities that were not available in previous models of KJL-7. After the upgrading of avionics and Fire-control system, Block 3 can carry PL-10E and PL-15E, the latest generation of AAM in China. The PL-10E has an overload capacity of up to 60G and extremely strong anti-interference capability. Using it together with HMD can make the “Thunderbolt” fighter have absolute advantages in close combat. The PL-15E, on the other hand, is a missile downgraded from the PL-15 which used by the PLA, with a maximum range reduced to 145km. Combined with the KJL-7A, it can strike enemy aircraft at ultra long distances.

Performance

• Radar: KLJ-7A
  • Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-6x PL-10E, 0-4x PL-15E

JF-17B

Performance

JF-17B is the Pakistan version of FC-1B, with basic performance similar to JF-17 Block 2. Due to the ability to carry two pilots, its combat efficiency has significantly improved, especially in terms of ground strikes.

Source:
《中国飞机全书》第三卷
《枭龙的前世今生》
《超7史话》
more…

6 Likes

Undoubtedly, this is my favorite JF-17 skin and I hope Gaijin can fulfill my wish.

6 Likes

is it just me or does it kind of look like someone took an f-16 and f-18 and threw them together? might just be me

3 Likes

No only you, the F-16 was previously Pakistan’s main fighter jet, and the essence of the FC-1 project was to design a more “cost-effective” F-16 for Pakistan. At the same time, after the 04 prototype, the FC-1 adopted the large strake wing design which is a characteristic design on this F-18. I believe they will be more similar if FC-1 does not use Diverterless supersonic inlet.

2 Likes

FC-1 and JF-17 can be added in the techtree and Super-7 can be added as a event vehicle

4 Likes

Unfortunately, Super-7 is an undisputed “Paper plane”. I think the earliest FC-1 they can add may be the 01/03 prototype, which is more like the F-16 than the F-18.
Actually, I have been thinking all along, considering that Bangladesh is currently using J-7BGI, it is very likely to transition to FTC-2000G or FC-1 in the future.

J-7 BGI will likely serve our airforce till 2050. Most likely it will be replaced by F-16s due to some geopolitical reasons. Who knows maybe J-10s would come.So i think airforce wouldn’t convert J-7s to FC-1 or FTG-2000.
Currently our airforce is making a indigenous jet(Claimed by them) which is probably based on some chinese jet. My guess is that it’s either based on K-8 or JL-9/FTC-2000. Btw it will be revealed soon.

1 Like

Worth the wait.

1 Like

Looks like JF-17 can use AMRAAM

PL-12 is a bit better I think

But can it actually use AMRAAM?

It’s possible early models used AMRAAM for testing, Pakistan had the F-16.

4 Likes

well pakistan also has f 16’s so they probably incorporated compatibility with western ammunition to ensure it can use them as well

1 Like

That’s what I said.

2 Likes

I look forward any day gajin consider early lightweight 4th generation Multirole fighter aircraft toptier to China tech tree rank 8 because believe that good Air realistic battle, Air simulator battle, Ground realistic realistic battle and ground simulator battle

It can’t be acknowledged since, IIRC, US disagreed with integrating Aim120 onto JF-17.

what about ASRAAM?

They did not (and still don’t) need the US permission.

Block 1 could be added right now…

1 Like

Apparently this was the aircraft they were working on.Absolute disappointment to be honest,I cant believe they wasted millions on a ultralight.Btw It’s name is BBT-1

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1697390354111

2 Likes