Chaos in the Skies: The Devastating Impact of the Su-25SM3 in War Thunder

That was my point he still think the game is like when the mig27 came out

TWS provides more information than a simple search radar, it provides full track data, Range, Velocity, Target Direction and Azimuth. Search radars only provide the targets position in azimuth.

So if you have an independent track radar, that is providing data for a single target. (Velocity, Range, Target Direction and Azimuth)
And the search radar at the same time is providing just target azimuth and range.

TWS, multiple targets have direction, range, azimuth and velocity (albeit in game only the highlighted target displays velocity but the radar has the information)

STT. Single target track. This is exactly how the track radar functions, it provides target direction, range, azimuth and velocity. But only for the tracked target;

Search, only target azimuth/range is displayed;

Launches for the Kh-38MT above 12-10km seem to be unreliable and in the testing we did, about 20% of them went stupid after launch from such an extreme range. Though sure an Kh-38ML can be launched from much further away. But for those, radar search ranges go well into 20km so the Su-25 will pop up on radar.

That’s the fun part. You don’t have to see them, your radar can already do that. You can see that in the video I previously sent, where the first 2 missiles were intercepted purely by radar. Because of this, the difference between having TWS or not becomes negligible at best as it can mess up your track at the cost of allowing a slight increase in interception time. Intercepting Kh-38s are not the herculean task you make it out to be.

1 Like

btw i am not sure about what defyn said but the kh38ml can be chaffed according to his video and its kinda funny imagine heli spawning and dropping chaff so it jams entire kh38ml lmao

It is nice that we have jet radars on example considering ground AA ablities.
TWS in simplest is ability to lock (track) target, and you can still use radar searching other threats on sky in same time. And this is what makes it TWS in Warthunder,
Example Shilka, you can only keep lock in target, and searching is disabled on same time, so It’s blindly on that 1 target when locking it.
Ito example you can keep target on lock, and your radar still shows other air tagets , since it doesnt stop scanning, while tracking that one target. Or do you disagree?

Just the quickest way to show it.

Again no, TWS isn’t just having track and search running at the same time. If you didn’t understand my explanation then I cannot help. TWS isn’t just literally Tracking While Scan in its most literal definition, its more complex than that.

4 Likes

Yes, I do know, but you do also know, that we are talking about warthunder, not real life abilities, and how to determine TWS in a game called warthunder?
Like I pointed in previous post, what makes it TWS in warthunder.

Yes, pantsir is only what shows speed, and direction of other air targets same time , when locking to something else. ( and it’s actually horrible if having lot of metal raining from sky, it just jumps lock on targets like a methheadbunny, but that is complete other topic)
But we cant say, it’s only one having TWS ability on top tier Spaa’s just because it shows more information than others.

It doesn’t though. TWS in war thunder works like TWS is supposed to. Things that have independent search and track systems do not have the TWS mode because they aren’t doing TWS.

Had to look it up, and WT wiki is not most reliable source, but even it considers Ito and Flakrad TWS capable.
But shall we keep this on topic, or keep splitting hairs about radars , and how to determine TWS in game .

1 Like

The wiki is just written by volunteers it isn’t 100% accurate.

For the sake of brevity, the wiki should be accurate, though.

İ played some couple games with Kh-38ML, turns out even Laser version can go stupid sometimes.

1 Like

As should Wikipedia but its reflective the knowledge of the people writing it. The writers like made the same mistake of conflating TWS with anything that has tracking and search at the same time.

Independent search and track does not equal TWS.

Unless the search radar is providing track information (Velocity, Range, Target Direction and Azimuth for multiple targets) it is not doing TWS, likewise the tracking radar cannot provide track information for multiple targets and is only performing STT.

2 Likes

You will experience more weird shit with the missile like wobbling so much it stalls

Fair point, indeed.

1 Like

Like R-73 kinda shit? Wouldnt be surprised if thats the case.

What bothers me most is the outer pylon stays empty, like why cant i mount additional İr missiles on those pylons.

Take 25ml on them

You cannot add anything to those pylons, they are for İr missiles but its not possible to load anything.

Ah these pylons sorry misunderstood