Challenger 2 Streetfighter II - Because a big cannon wasn't enough

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

G’day lads! I’m here to suggest a future Challenger 2 variant for the British tech tree, the Challenger 2 Streetfighter II!

Description:

Spoiler

The Challenger 2 Streetfighter II represents a sophisticated evolution of the British Army’s Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank , specifically tailored for urban warfare. It boasts a variety of enhancements to increase its destructive power, including upgraded machine guns that offer superior fire support for infantry on foot. The biggest “attraction” of this upgrade would be the addition of Brimstone missiles, engineered to take down heavily fortified land vehicles from a considerable distance. The Streetfighter design also prioritizes situational awareness for crew members and infantry alike. This is facilitated by advanced communication systems that enable seamless interaction between those inside the tank and ground forces, as well as an array of cameras offering a comprehensive 360-degree external view. The objective of these modifications is to boost the tank’s destructive capacity, situational awareness, and collaboration between infantry and tank units. The Streetfighter II was put to the test not that long ago at Copehill Down Village on Salisbury Plain, the UK’s urban operations facility, where it underwent a series of trials in an urban combat scenario with various upgrades provided by industry collaborators. Initiated in 2018, the Streetfighter project continues to progress and refine its design based on the insights gained from these trials. It should be noted that it gets no upgrades for its armour and mobility, as its the same as the normal Challenger 2’s!

Challengers-fog-e1579784585634

History:

Spoiler

The Challenger 2 Streetfighter II is a unique prototype that represents a significant evolution in the British Army’s tank technology. The original Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank was developed between 1986 and 1991, and over 400 units were produced in total. However, as the design aged, there was a need for improvement and modernization.

The Streetfighter II project was launched in 2018 to address these needs. This project aimed to enhance the tank’s performance in urban combat scenarios, a capability gap identified between the British Army’s forces and adversaries. The Streetfighter II, therefore, features a range of upgrades to improve lethality, situational awareness, and infantry-tank cooperation.

One of the key upgrades is the addition of a Brimstone anti-tank guided missile system, designed to neutralize heavily armoured land platforms at long-range. The tank also features an enhanced camera suite, providing a 360-degree view of the area outside the tank. This greatly improves the ability of both mounted and dismounted personnel to understand their environment. It also can deploy its own ground based drone!

EIrXzPSWsAAPYkP

The vehicle was not long ago trialled at the UK’s urban operations facility at Copehill Down Village on Salisbury Plain. There, the Streetfighter was tested in an urban combat environment with a range of upgrades from industry partners. This trial built on the experience of the project that began in 2018.

The Streetfighter II project continues to evolve and improve based on these trials, demonstrating the British Army’s commitment to maintaining a cutting-edge tank fleet.

Armaments:

Spoiler

120mm L30A1 cannon (can fire the same rounds the current Challenger 2’s can fire in the game!)

c114dd7a7e6d880ecea7f4fbe4c467791f2a14f0

12.7mm Browning machine gun

7.62mm L94A1 coaxial chain gun

7.62mm L37A2 machine gun

and of course;

2 Brimstone AGMs (unknown if any are stored inside the tank)

Features 3 modes:

Mode 1: Semi-Active Laser (SAL) guidance, to engage static
targets with limited or no radar cross section (RCS)

Mode 2: Both SAL and Millimetric Wave radar guidance for fast
moving targets in cluttered environments

Mode 3: Fire-and-forget simultaneous target engagement

It can go as fast as Mach 1.8. While it is not known how much exact penetration it has, it does have tandem and was reported to be better than the AGM-65G, so calculating the size of the missile, it will be at least 800mm of penetration.

MBDA-Brimstone-Cutaway-892x386.jpg

Mobility:

Spoiler

As mentioned above in the description, the Streetfighter upgrade provides no additional improvements with armour, as well as mobility, as it uses the same Challenger 2 armour and engines! So it keeps the same Perkins CV12-6A V12 going 1200 HP, aswell as its David Brown TN54E automatic transmission giving it 59km/h max speed that the current Chally 2’s also have in game!

c12_drgfslidf02-1

Electronics:

Spoiler

The Street Fighter carries the IronVision platform, which was trialled first time in early December 2019 with the Street Fighter, it was one of the parts of the situational awareness upgrades

The IronVision system is a significant feature of the Challenger 2 Streetfighter II. Developed by Elbit Systems, IronVision is a situational awareness system that has been integrated into the tank to enhance its operational capabilities.

bRppWAE

IronVision works by pulling together feeds from various cameras located outside the tank and converting them into a single picture. This allows the tank operator to see a different view of the outside of the vehicle simply by turning their head, rather than having to cycle through different camera feeds on a screen.

This system provides the tank operators with a 360° vision around the vehicle with zero latency. This greatly improves the survivability of the tank crew by enhancing their awareness of their surroundings.

Sources:

Spoiler

https://www.army-technology.com/features/streetfighter-challenger-2/?cf-view

https://www.mbda-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018-BRIMSTONE-datasheet-2.pdf

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2022/11/brimstone-guided-missile/#Brimstone_2

Modernization of MBT Challenger 2 for urban conditions

Army Guide

https://web.archive.org/web/20200122031452/https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31912/british-streetfighter-ii-tank-concept-has-x-ray-vision-and-is-all-about-the-urban-fight

IronVision trialled on Challenger 2 Streetfighter II | Jane's 360

You are being redirected...

Thanks a lot for reading! If you find more info about the Street Fighter II, feel free to put it in the replies!

13 Likes

Looks like North Korea’s “slap missiles on a tank” approach is spreading! +1

7 Likes

Does it come with a doggo? If no +1, if yes +1. :D

19 Likes

+1 I’m actually preying the add this to the game.

1 Like

A Dozer bladed CR2 would be fun.

1 Like

That comes with the Super Streetfighter II Turbo HD Remix.

1 Like

Definitely something I would love to see in game. I would imagine this trials version is using the brimstone 2 however I do not think its a stretch to give it the brimstone 3 at all since that was cleared for ground to ground use in 2019 and is nearly identical. However the Brimstone 3 is the version which added laser guidance so I would imagine from what you said they might be using that.

The brimstones 2 and 3 are both going at a speed of 450m/s which is a better measurement than mach. Mach is relative to way too many things to be an accurate speed measurement for this use-case. We are also talking a range of up to 25miles, the missile has a 25mile range from a rotor craft so I think its safe to assume that 20 miles would be appropriate for a ground launch. This would also mean that this tank could fight back against helicopters sitting 10km away easily

The warehead is 6.3kgs and as you said it is said to be several times more affective than the AGM65G
So all in all its a definite dub for British top tier if it becomes a thing

4 Likes

to be fair that approach has been tried to a degree by almost everyone at some point in some fashion. In case of NK and Yugo/post-Yugo croatia for example it was because they lacked the gun fired ATGMs and had significant stocks of MANPADs and ATGMs to augment tanks with, tho i will say that Yugo/Croatia actually had actually practically implemented the systems ,and done it well which is an X to doubt for NK

2 Likes

That is true. Even the Soviets experimented with putting 9M14s on T-55s and 9M17s on a T-10M. Egypt also put Swingfires on a T-62.

+1 Would love for this to be added, idk about the missile effectiveness in-game though, especially with all the “balancing” they seem to get worse and worse tbh so I don’t think it would “affect” the gameplay very much but I still don’t think they’ll add this anytime soon just because it’s a tank with a missile.
Also it’s unique as a tank in the British tree no less so yeah definitely want it

1 Like

AFAIK the Brimstone launchers were just mock-ups.

I know a guy in the RTR and he didn’t even know streetfighter exists lol

1 Like

I would imagine it was the ADTU that was handling this. Just being part of the RTR wouldn’t mean you would actively keep up to date on experimental projects that hold little probability of becoming mainline equipment

Question: does this get .50s?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the Brimstone launchers were mockups and completely non functional, so -1

Yup, infront of the launcher

Nice, so we can finally have a first-spawn CR 2/3 that has a .50

1 Like

+1, But not now maybe sometime soon

1 Like

The Brimstone missiles launchers are real, you can tell that 'cause it’s not a slap job they did there it actually looks real and professional

As far as I know. All Challenger 2s could have a 50 cal like the Challenger 2E has, and for those with the Leonardo Enforcer remote weapon system, they can equip a 50 cal (as seen on the OES). Its just that the 7.62mm MG was most commonly used for logistical reasons (coaxial gun uses 7.62mm).

At its core, its down to Gaijin what guns they have.

Even possibly they could all be equipped with a 40mm Grenade Launcher