Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

I believe the side looks something like this, not to scale or dimensions lol. The blue is the dust cover

i see

Because here, you can see the backplate run the length of the composite block, but that backplate also runs down the length of the tank covering the sponson

SO i guess we get 40 and we deal with it

also without the line i added

The section covering the sponson should get another plate that looks to be of a similar thickness to 40, that should give the part not covered by ERA a better chance at stopping autocannon apfsds

ehh, gues we deal get 40 and nothing with it

Now to proving that both NERA and ERA are present on TES

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/496995636709949440/1183465312746754139/qywzFKQ2.jpg?ex=65886ef6&is=6575f9f6&hm=28fb12031e1b9ca2dbddfee672e470275c45f88468ccc19534ec56f0db1b638c&

RED Dot - So I do not have any measurements for the composite armour back plate there are any back plates that might be behind it.

Blue Dot - I only have measurements regarding this area.

The only other measurements I have are for the armoured ammunition bins, track pads and the lower main hull thickness !!

2 Likes

@Legwolf like what you read there. If it is true you can remake your whole report to include both NERA and ERA
I feel like im about to get eaten

isnt the sales brochure of the ERA already talking about a combination of ERA and NERA?

A brochure, you have one? !!!

Really nice find! Do you have the source of it? If so, that further supports TES having STANAG 5 protection:
25MM APFSDS at 500M from 0 degrees to 30 degrees

Last I looked, Dardo’s autocannon was the best analogue, which gave it at minimum 84MM of kinetic protection on the ASPRO-HMT bricks alone.

The source is, well
https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404888331795431482

chinese reddit is the most reliable source there is

The pic is a shot from somewhere, it will be hard to trace back but who knows

That guy looks fed up, must have been a hot day lol

I think the 40mm looks about correct. Currently in live server, the plate is 110.
40 + 40 leaves a 30mm air gap in between the 2 plates

1 Like

You change a tank tires in over 30 celcius. Would you be happy?

SOURCE3A

Interestingly enough - While ASPRO-HMT advertises STANAG 5 protection, The technical specifications does support “0.3 AP” which…I’d assume is 30mm Armor Penetrating grenades?

Also this part of “Reactive/passive armor protection” now has some clear supporting evidence as to what this means. Great work, man

2 Likes