Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

There is but SMIN linked the Baroness (whatever her name is statment from this year) that CR3 will be using the CV-12 engine rated for 1200hp
That to Gaijin is evidence.

Warhead has it.

1 Like

Ignoring the fact that QRH posted a year before saying the exact opposite, seems to me a case of one hand not knowing what the other was doing.

I get there’s issues to do with the cooling, but if we take that tweet from QRH as gospel (which i’d say isn’t unreasonable, given they actually run the tanks unlike some pen pusher from Parliament) either QRH’s mechanics have no idea what they’re doing, the Baroness has been blatantly lied to, or there was a point where early CR3 Hulls (presumably the TD and some of the Prototypes) were fitted with HAAIP and outputted 1500hp.

1 Like

This was from SMIN last week.

"James Cartlidge, Minister of State for Defence Procurement, clarified in a parliamentary hearing on March 11, 2024, that the Challenger 3 will have the Caterpillar CV12-9A engine, which produces 1200hp. This means that even with the HAAIP program, the CV12-9A engine will remain at 1200hp, not 1500hp.

This was also confirmed by Baroness Annabel Goldie, the UK’s Secretary of State for Defense until 2023. In a UK parliamentary hearing on January 9, 2020, she explained that the purpose of the HAAIP program was not to increase engine horsepower. Instead, the goal was to standardize the engine across different vehicles, such as the Challenger 2, Challenger Armored Repair and Recovery Vehicle (CRARRV), and Trojan AEV, which previously used different engines (CV12-6A and CV12-8A).”

“The Heavy Armour Automotive Improvement Programme (HAAIP) will provide improvements for the heavy armour fleet including Challenger 2, Challenger Armoured Recovery Vehicle, Titan and Trojan. The HAAIP will deliver a common engine and suspension across all variants which will substantially enhance reliability. In addition, Warrior is being upgraded through the Warrior Capability Sustainment Programme which will significantly enhance reliability.”

At the end of 2022, when this tweet was made, there was just the TD, carried forward from LEP. The first actual CR3 prototype was revealed in January of this year at IAV.

I love looking at the HP debate.

1 Like

Sadly that doesnt help us ha ha

if its something you’re not meant to know (assuming you mean it’s classified) then gaijin won’t be able to use it anyways

So to calrify. There were at least 2 LEPs made, and at least 4 Cr2 that were being converted into/were after convertion into HAAIP.

1 Like

Not like im going to share it.

They also dont care that there is a posibility it could have a 1500hp power pack at this point Gaijin just dont want to know.

2 Likes

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2021/07/challenger-2-vehicles-prepared-for-an-upgrade/

Beg your pardon, I thought I phrased it such that it could’ve been CR2 hulls included in that too.

Anyway, getting to my point, this was July 2021. Before anyone was having arguments over what hp was or was not on the tank

Perhaps Gaijin see it as the “Street fighter” CR2 and just not worth implementing?

I mean Parliament, especially under Sunak, outputted so much dross that it was barely worth acknowledging. I mean right before election they went “hey look! we promise we’re taking defence seriously! we’re gonna build some boats! new ones!”

To which pretty much everyone who cared to notice pointed out that they were doing the bare minimum, i.e. replacing our current ones

I mean respectfully they then can be classified as idiots. Much in the same way that people will claim a CR2 with 130mm won’t be necessary

I want it, because I want to make people cry.

Dear Moderator who reads this,

lots of love, part 2 when?

you know guys. It is time
Say Goodbye GIFs | Tenor

1 Like

Oh we know that! And Gaijin use these clueless ministers/Barons statements as “pRiMaRy sOuRcEs”

they are primary

last one

Or is it?
:P
PART 2 Party Friend GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

5 Likes